Home

Just released: the best new college basketball game on the mobile market!

This is a discussion on Just released: the best new college basketball game on the mobile market! within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #25
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Just released: the best new college basketball game on the mobile market!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grismosw
Just finished my first season and got hosed 🤡

No tournament after 7 top 25 wins
It's next to impossible to make it to the tournament as an at-large unless you are ranked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #26
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
I downloaded this over the weekend. Considering the IAP package but really only think the edit conferences & team names to be worthwhile. Not sure of the value of editing player names or choosing any team right now. Although I haven't progressed very far to know if there is a coaching carousel at the end of each season, so if there isn't an ability to progress then choosing any team might be a good purchase.
I would agree with your decision. There is a screen at the end of the season that shows the coaching positions offered to you. There is often quite a lot of jobs offered, so I wouldn't spend the money there.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 AM   #27
Rookie

zolnier's Arena

OVR: 1

Hey all! Just a heads up! Version 1.1.01 is about to be available that REALLY IMPROVES the recruiting experience. The completely rewritten recruiting engine in v1.1.00 was a bit too difficult (and sometimes erratic). There's most definitely a fine line between too hard to too easy in this area! While some of you had issue with being in the lead recruiting points position and not getting your recruit, it still can happen, but here's how I reworked the logic to favor the teams in the lead recruiting positions:

For example, L.Jenkins is committing and he has 5 offers, as follows:

Team 1 - 500 points
Team 2 - 450 points
Team 3 - 390 points
Team 4 - 370 points
Team 5 - 300 points

When he commits, I iterate through the teams from 5 to 1 and compare their assigned points as follows:

Team 5 (random number 1-300) vs Team 4 (random number 1-370)
Winner of above (random number 1 to their points) vs Team 3 (random number 1-390)
Winner of above (random number 1 to their points) vs Team 2 (random number 1-450)
Winner of above (random number 1 to their points) vs Team 1 (random number 1-500)

As you can see, Team #1 only has to have a higher random number than whichever team made it to that final comparison, but Team #5 has to have a higher random number than Team #4, then Team #3, then Team #2 and then finally Team #1 to actually land L.Jenkins.

This is a very structured way to give teams in top positions a greater chance of landing a given recruit, but as you can see, there is still a chance for any other team to possibly snag that recruit...

Make sense?

I'd love to hear how it's going and I will explore adding other logic (RPI, etc.) to help determine whether a team makes the National Tournament or not. How in the world was Champaign, IL NOT RANKED in that scenario? What was your final record and how far did you go in your conference tournament? Crazy!

Keep sharing those great ideas and thanks again, everyone!

-Dave (Zolnier Games)
Old 01-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #28
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

Dave, that is fantastic news!

As far as the RPI being added into the logic, that would be tremendous. I really like your logic for the recruiting 'tournament'...it adds a possibility of someone other than the #1 leading team to get the player, yet keeps it very realistic to the leading team being heavy favorites.

You know you have me when my wife sees me staring at my phone and asks, without pause, "how does the match-up look?" Great stuff Dave!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 0

It would be cool if the game tracked players matchups points per game
Old 01-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 0

Just lost as a 1 seed vs a 16 seed in the national tournament. This game is going to give me an aneurysm.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #31
Rookie

zolnier's Arena

OVR: 1

Wow! That's crazy! I guess it's bound to happen! Their top 6 players all had good consistency, so that sure helped increase their chances of an upset. Did they win their next game after upsetting you?

FYI, I'm about to release a BIG update 1.2.00 with a bunch of enhancements (ZPI, naming your coach, hall of fame, retirement, etc.) and was curious what you all thought about the requests I keep getting for adding player positions and heights. The way I created this game, it's all about quick/easy player matchups based on basic offense/defense/consistency metrics, regardless of size or position. I worry that adding Pos/Height, while making the game feel potentially more realistic, doesn't really affect the outcomes of games and may create awkward matchups of something like a PG matched up against a C in the Play Game screen.

What do you all think? Should I add Position and Height or leave them out for now?

FYI, I have a fully articulated sim engine that I built that leverages many more ratings, position, height, etc. that I'm working on for a future, significantly deeper basketball sim game. For now, I want to make sure this game (College BBALL Coach) is enough to make everyone happy!

Thanks again for all of the support!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #32
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

I think you're right. The positions heights make no sense. I feel it only opens up complaints like, "their 5'6 point guard scored 26 points against my 7'3 center. What gives?"
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »