Home

The thing that will ultimately beat 2k, nba live is LIVE

This is a discussion on The thing that will ultimately beat 2k, nba live is LIVE within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
The thing that will ultimately beat 2k, nba live is LIVE

I have been playing NBA 2k for years, but the worst and ultimately most unrealistic part of the game is that there is absolutely no physics implemented in the game. Everything is canned animation warped to another canned animation. So when your driving you basically press a button which makes a caned drive, then another to change it. If you do a crossover then jump shot, you go into a canned animation then the ball warps to the shooting motion. The best thing that I've seen about live is everything seems LIVE. When a player crosses then shoots, the movement is made where the ball is placed a nto the shooting hand, not warped. The player changes his release to keep the ball in a natural position instead of warping to whatever position is closest to the animation. The ball is always live, it doesn't warp, it looks like a true basketball on the court. This is the ultimate downfall in 2k and live seems to be using that weakness as their for front for their series. I'm super excited, I haven't played live since Arenas was the cover athlete(idk what yr that was)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Banned

Housh123's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The thing that will ultimately beat 2k, nba live is LIVE

Yeah they worked a lot of replicating SMOOTH basketball since Live 16. With what you said I didn't really see the canned animation as a huge issue in 16. the game was just not immersive enough. Also it seemed extra clunky.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

I actually whole heartedly agree. NBA 2k is such a great game with so much depth and presentation. I truthfully love it for what it is but I've always felt like 2k basketball has been a unresponsive canned animation fest. I really like what I'm seeing from live and even though I will buy and play both, if everything turns out like what ive been seeing I have a feeling I'll like live more. That being said, I will undoubtedly be in the minority as NBA 2k is held in such high regard and right fully so. I'm ok with that, we should all get what we'd like from a bball game and live is shaping up to be what I'm looking for.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Player control. And I think this is where this game will shine. Like others have said, 2K is a great game in it's own right, but I've never felt like I totally control my player.

And this is pretty much what Live is striving for as we have all seen and heard.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83evans
I have been playing NBA 2k for years, but the worst and ultimately most unrealistic part of the game is that there is absolutely no physics implemented in the game. Everything is canned animation warped to another canned animation. So when your driving you basically press a button which makes a caned drive, then another to change it. If you do a crossover then jump shot, you go into a canned animation then the ball warps to the shooting motion. The best thing that I've seen about live is everything seems LIVE. When a player crosses then shoots, the movement is made where the ball is placed a nto the shooting hand, not warped. The player changes his release to keep the ball in a natural position instead of warping to whatever position is closest to the animation. The ball is always live, it doesn't warp, it looks like a true basketball on the court. This is the ultimate downfall in 2k and live seems to be using that weakness as their for front for their series. I'm super excited, I haven't played live since Arenas was the cover athlete(idk what yr that was)
I agreed totally. Ever since 2K7 (YES, 2K7!!), I have lost all interest in 2K games because they started using animations heavily as part of the game play, something that you can't really break and as a result, I feel that my skills a gamer is violated. I want total control of how I want to play the game, I don't want a game that dictate how I should play...especially online. It pisses me off. 2K7 is the last game I have the most fun and ever since then I was hoping for another company that bring back that sort of gameplay where you have total control. When you play a game and you lose and you have no one to blame but yourself, that indicates it's a good game. However, if you lose and feel you have no control over it? That is a bad game. Hopefully, NBA LIVE 18 changes that and give back total control to the user. After 2k7, 2K basically they chose to design their game based on realism and how players animate but in doing so, they sacrifice the fun factor and the game play from the user experience. I have been saying the same thing every year and they never care to change it. Giving users total control despite odd animations is a hell lot more fun than handicap users total control and have them stuck in realistic animations. The secret to a perfect game is allow total users control and still allow realistic animations. NBA2k haven't cracked that yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Fun factor is the key. Canned or no canned animations, if I'm having more fun with Live this year, I'll stick with it.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #7
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I agree . I dislike 2K17 because of those same reasons .

But that doesn't excuse Live from having bad, weird looking animations. Also live doesn't have the depth of 2k. Still a lot of work to be done .
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 06-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Threads of the "vs" variety between the two games will be moved to the "Other Basketball Games" forum..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »