Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Major League Baseball 2K10 Interview (ESPN) (/forums/showthread.php?t=391129)

Trevytrev11 01-27-2010 11:01 AM

Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Interview (ESPN)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96 (Post 2040686323)
I've seen many dugout's do this thinking the player was out, only to see the ump call the runner safe, due to ball being dis-lodge during the collision. I know 2k deserves a lot of the criticism it's gotten, but this-1 is a little over the top IMO

Yeah, but I think the original post was a response to this happening last year. You drop a bomb and the guys in your dug out are face-palming and the other teams bullpen is standing and clapping. While I agree that what you says happens...I'm 99.9% sure this is not that.

brendanrfoley 01-27-2010 11:20 AM

I can't even tell what players in the Yankees dugout are doing it that screen; they're a blurry mess.

DaveDQ 01-27-2010 11:53 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing the game play. These article aren't exactly rich with content, but you get the impression from Ben Bishop that they care about the product and are trying to correct things.

I'm looking forward to it. These names that keep popping up that are getting interviewed are veteran VC guys. I trust things will shape up.

nemesis04 01-27-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendanrfoley (Post 2040686431)
I didn't see it in the thread (I may have missed it), but this interview confirms 2K10 is 60fps. Good news.

Quote:

We still have some more time for polishing and tuning, but getting the frame rate to 60 frames per second is key.
That quote from the interview does not seem like a lock to me. That tells me it is not there yet.

jeffy777 01-27-2010 12:18 PM

I take everything from these kind of interviews with a grain of salt. It's just PR fluff, basically.

SoxFan01605 01-27-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveDQ (Post 2040686614)
I'm really looking forward to seeing the game play. These article aren't exactly rich with content, but you get the impression from Ben Bishop that they care about the product and are trying to correct things.

I'm looking forward to it. These names that keep popping up that are getting interviewed are veteran VC guys. I trust things will shape up.

I hope you're right. I'm not getting that impression at all (though, to be fair, I'm not getting the opposite impression either). It, as someone pointed out earlier, sounded like the same stuff we've been hearing for years now.

Of course the game's developer is going to say they improved upon the year prior. When the two things they are touting as what sets them apart are how My Player clutch performance improves team budgets and the best part of franchise is simming through it...it's hard not to scratch your head on what they are thinking. Now, I'm not placing too much on what was said (as Jeffy mentioned, it's mostly just PR), but I do wonder if they really know what their fanbase wants.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As for the whole defensive swing debate, as I said earlier...2K baseball has always been about maximizing user control so this doesn't really bother me and I can see at as a potentially useful feature.

While I agree it's probably best achieved with ratings affecting the regular swing (I've gotten amazing duels in the other game without such a mechanic), I don't fault them for trying to offer more in this regard (as long as it's not overpowered...I can see how it could be ridiculously arcade if everyone is fouling stuff off left and right with 2 strikes).

I think people are piling on this more because of the absence of the check swing and to be fair, they have a point. If you're going to go through the trouble to program a manual function for fouling off pitches, it's baffling to not include one for holding off on them.

DaveDQ 01-27-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoxFan01605 (Post 2040686707)
I hope you're right. I'm not getting that impression at all (though, to be fair, I'm not getting the opposite impression either). It, as someone pointed out earlier, sounded like the same stuff we've been hearing for years now.

Of course the game's developer is going to say they improved upon the year prior. When the two things they are touting as what sets them apart are how My Player clutch performance improves team budgets and the best part of franchise is simming through it...it's hard not to scratch your head on what they are thinking. Now, I'm not placing too much on what was said (as Jeffy mentioned, it's mostly just PR), but I do wonder if they really know what their fanbase wants.

I actually like the idea of a player's performance increasing the budget. What I gather from that is big plays creates buzz. Buzz sells tickets. Ticket sales increases the budget. I was pretty ticked off when I went to Fenway a couple years ago and Ortiz was out and Colone pitched. Not to mention they got shut out by the Mariners! At home!

Anyway, what's wrong with a up and coming guy generating buzz for the team?

Blzer 01-27-2010 01:00 PM

I just hope there aren't less foul balls with the standard swing as a result of having the defensive swing as an option. Because some people here are saying "you don't need to use it if you don't have to," but I disagree in that it may be necessary if you want to hit a borderline outside pitch foul or in play.