Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   OS Neighborhood (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Is it possible to lose 10lbs a month? (/forums/showthread.php?t=249198)

Stumbleweed 05-13-2008 02:36 PM

Re: Is it possible to lose 10lbs a month?

^That's a good idea (thedailyplate.com). But yeah, that's essentially it -- you just have to eat less calories than you consume. You need to eat valuable foods that aren't just empty calories in order to have the energy to workout and to still get a reasonable amount of vitamins and nutrients while eating less than you normally would. Also, drinking a lot of water helps with muscle fatigue as well as making you feel full so you don't want to eat so often -- taking a fiber pill helps with that as well (among other things.. heh).

And yeah, watch your portions. It's much better to eat 6 small meals per day than 2 large ones. Keeping snacks with you (almonds, fruit, peanut butter crackers, etc.) will help you curb cravings and will keep your metabolism up throughout the day. And always eat something for breakfast, even if it's just a piece of fruit.

KG 05-13-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevytrev11 (Post 2038354761)
I think the biggest problem most people have is just portion control. A regular portioned meal typically won't hurt you, but when you go back for seconds and thirds or when you get the Supersize french fry instead of the medium, you just end up hurting yourself....it may be hard at first if you are used to eating large meals, but if you can slowly reduce your portion sizes until you eventually get close to the reccomended serving sizes, you will put yourself in a much better position.

Great post. Everything is portion (serving size). You have to remember to look at it because so many foods inflate their servings up to 2 or more.

23 05-13-2008 02:40 PM

This is what i have so far as far as food

Breakfast - egg whites and wheat toast or a protein shake with a banana

Lunch - a garden salad and water and an apple

Dinner - brown rice and tuna or a chicken breast or turkey meat, ground or roasted

Any ideas for snacks... and how do you guys think that would work?

Trevytrev11 05-13-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDRE_OS (Post 2038354776)
This is what i have so far as far as food

Breakfast - egg whites and wheat toast or a protein shake with a banana

Lunch - a garden salad and water and an apple

Dinner - brown rice and tuna or a chicken breast or turkey meat, ground or roasted

Any ideas for snacks... and how do you guys think that would work?

Sounds good...as long as it's not 10 egg whites and you're not pouring a bottle of dressing on your salad.

Ideas for snacks: fruit/veggies , yogurt, cottage cheese with fruit/veggies, nuts, granola bars, etc...just keep everything small like a snack and not a meal.

Try to fit a snack in between each meal. The more small meals you eat, the better chance you will have at keeping your metabolism up throughout the day and continue to burn calories even when you're not doing anything.

When you stop eating, your body goes into a state of shock in which it thinks it has to conserve energy for survival, so your metabolism slows down and you don't burn calories like you should.

fistofrage 05-13-2008 02:51 PM

I woke up on New Years day 1999 and weighed 260 lbs. I'm 6'4", I looked in the mirror said stop the insanity. On June 1st I weighed 185lbs.

I ate the same thing almost everyday....

Breakfast, Banana and a cup of non-sweetened cereal with fat free milk
Lunch...Turkey Breast on whole wheat with mustard, Apple
Dinner...2 Baked Potatoes topped with Salsa and a piece of grilled meat, steamed green veggie.
Drank 1 gallon of water a day and rode a stationary bike about 10 miles a day.

Thats it. Eat to live not live to eat.

23 05-13-2008 03:00 PM

I dont know if i can do cottage cheese. The thought of that makes me want to give up dairy.

As far as dressing, vinaigrette oil/venegar is pretty much what i like.

Egg whites, i meant about 2 or 3 a day but i think 2 should do the trick.

Im focusing on all cardio, forget weights because i dont need that to be honest with you.

23 05-13-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fistofrage (Post 2038354800)
I woke up on New Years day 1999 and weighed 260 lbs. I'm 6'4", I looked in the mirror said stop the insanity. On June 1st I weighed 185lbs.

I ate the same thing almost everyday....

Breakfast, Banana and a cup of non-sweetened cereal with fat free milk
Lunch...Turkey Breast on whole wheat with mustard, Apple
Dinner...2 Baked Potatoes topped with Salsa and a piece of grilled meat, steamed green veggie.
Drank 1 gallon of water a day and rode a stationary bike about 10 miles a day.

Thats it. Eat to live not live to eat.

You did this for 9 years?

Stumbleweed 05-13-2008 03:14 PM

Either that or he lost 75 lbs in 6 months, which is crazy-impressive. Doesn't sound like a bad diet at all really... I normally eat like that for the most part. I gotta stop ruining it with desserts and eating out... salmon cooked with asparagus in a foil wrap and some brown rice would work for me most nights.

I need to get a stationary bike or an elliptical-type machine for cardio -- I am so bad about going to the gym, I just need exercise in my own house.