Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports FIFA Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   FIFA 13 Demo Available Now - Post Your Impressions (/forums/showthread.php?t=575938)

iaxy 09-12-2012 10:19 AM

Re: FIFA 13 Demo Available Now For PC & 360, Later Today For PS3 - Post Your Impressi

Quote:

Originally Posted by orion523 (Post 2044155315)
Dropping the length/width/height along with slowing down the game has made it absolutely incredible.

You mean changing these parameters on the camera angle?

bigeastbumrush 09-12-2012 10:21 AM

Re: FIFA 13 Demo Available Now For PC & 360, Later Today For PS3 - Post Your Impressi

Quote:

Originally Posted by demencia_total (Post 2044155243)
If you are strictly or mostly an online gamer, I think this is the game to get for sure. Offline, not so sure.

^^sums up my feelings perfectly.

Panicshade 09-12-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaxy (Post 2044155444)

No...he is talking about the sliders for Positioning Length, Width, and Height

Qb 09-12-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaxy (Post 2044155444)

No, I'm sure he means in the User/CPU game customization sliders. There are options for defensive line height, length, and width.

zanner 09-12-2012 10:41 AM

Played Fifa early 90's on Sega and PS1 World Cup. Then on PS2 and CPU, played Winning Eleven/PES in the late 90's/2000-01 . I went on hiatus on soccer games until ESPN ran an insider deal to get the last world cup game. I got that and purchased Fifa 11 a few months before Fifa 12 release. I played Fifa 12 last year. I've sworn off NCAA and Madden, and did enjoy the PES latest demo comparatively to Fifa 12.

That gives some perspective on my First Impressions - Because for the most part, the better than expected PES demo and the FIFA videos , I was really open to possibly foregoing Ultimate Team this season and just grind out only offline as much as I enjoy online.. And now the Fifa demo is out, I can't say that it's even the case :

First of all, the videos I've seen made me nervous; however, my first impression once in the game is that I clearly don't play like guys in the video and the cpu is not playing me like they played the guys in the demo. I was very, very impressed with the Gameplay, and for the most part speed (ya, I can use a notch down on speed, but isn't really an issue for me at the moment.) In fact, in may depend on how I played the PES demo compared to how I play Fifa, defending wise, but as much as PES is hyped on this "build up" and "attacking AI" aspect of the game I was honestly more impressed with FIFA 13 Demo's as far as attacking and/or buildup last night playing against Arsenal and Juventus as ManCity and AC Milan. Arsenal, came at me because I was too aggressive and they had the speed to get me. With AC MIlan, I made sure to stay in front of players, and Juventus pulled the ball back to midfield and also, first time I can remember and happened they switched the field on me over to Giovinco who then had some space to move forward. I actually thought the attacking and passing back was existent and done very well and I thought it better than PES for me (And that may have to do with more of a familiarity with defending controls in Fifa series)

Branching off of this - The CPU IS MUCH MUCH IMPROVED, and excellent. The players want the ball, and they'll make runs into space to try and receive the ball. Last year when I would get around the box, I felt stuck. Either shoot into a defender or give the ball up trying to dribble past defenders. This year, on multiple occasions I've had a teammate move into space or run angled into space in the box. Just feels good to feel like the teammates will make runs, and not just stand there or having to have runs having to be initiated by yourself on a give and go.

First touch and the handling is absolutely excellent, really something as simple as this changes the game so much from last year for the better. It really feels a lot more fluid of a game and a lot more of an organic, living feeling while playing a game.

With that the physics feel good and improved on last year as far as players are concerned. As far as the ball, passes, shots, and touch.. MUCH MUCH improved. I really liked PES Demo 1's feel of the ball, Demo 2 I was less of a fan for some reason - On Fifa 13 Demo, it feels better than PES Demo 1. The ball has weight and really seems like a size 5, pumped up high real ball would act on touches. It may be the combo of first touch and the ball that acts effect, but I really feel like they nailed it as far as the "weight" and "feel" of the ball.

And holy moly, they have FOULS! This absolutely killed me last year on how the CPU would never ever commit a foul. That's no longer the case imo judging from the demo. The cpu actually committed more fouls than me in more games than not. On such short halves, the foul counts were around 1 or 2 for me and 2 or 3 for the cpu. I really felt like I could trap the ball in position with Pato or Rubinho and draw a foul if I was methodical with my dribble. Last year, trapping the ball the defender would shoot out of the cannon and just take it from you with no call even if your player flopped on the ground like a fish after being tanked.. HUGE Thumbs up to EA if the fouling system stays and/or improves in the final release.

And I don't know what some people are talking about regarding the defender's headers being overpowered and the offense having no chance? I've not had this experience, I feel like it's a fair shot depending on who has the better position or angle when the ball is in the air. I felt like I lost aerial wars where I should, and won some that I hustled for position and should have won.

Also, I've got to mention the CPU actually taking open shots and chances from outside of the box. Which means they're working the ball to the middle around the box which is less sideline crossing type of game over and over. On the flip side, the defending on the sideline and the delay crossing during full speed sprint combined with the defender leg out animation doesn't make crossing as automatic. As it turns out, I had to pick my shots when I had a back sprinting sideline with space to put it out to him for a cross. I believe Fifa 13 has improved this aspect to make it less reliable and more realistic.

The negatives for me : I still think PES demos had a hand up when it comes to rebounds off of shots. While I think this demo shows some improvement from CPU AI TEAMMATES on attacking rebounds, I do feel they stand for a moment to long before reacting. Better than last year, but I think they should still be more intelligent on rebounding saves.

I would also like to see a little bit more individuality similar to PES which would allow CPU AI to take you on a little better 1 on 1. It's a small sample size of players in the Fifa DEMO and the teams I played against didn't necessarily have the Neymars or Ronaldos that will attack a defender one on one with flash and brilliance, but I still feel it's something that will need to improve next year.

Overall, I am unbelievably pleased with this DEMO! I was really nervous that this game would be FIfa 12, with a few gimmicks and the same faults (especially foul issues) in which point would have made me real disappointed. However, from my first 2 hour sit down with the demo yesterday - I think the improvements made and just the general feel and gameplay is really surprising to me and highly welcomed by me.

Panicshade 09-12-2012 10:44 AM

About those defensive line adjustments...I have a question and it may seem like a stupid question to ask but here goes...

The width (from side to side) and height (how far up the field) sliders are easy to understand...but what does the length slider change?

artmind 09-12-2012 10:56 AM

My choice is PES 2013 this year, definitely. It's more natural, more authentic game. I think people from old world would choice PES, because it's just more real, that's what we called football not soccer ;) I think this must called PEF, Pro Evolution Football.
Fifa players feels like puppets, I don't feel the ground, they fly over the pitch. No individuality on players and teams, unrealistic pace. Very arcadish game.

zanner 09-12-2012 10:56 AM

I'll also add that I attacked with man City, and the ref eventually blew the play dead when I stalled or loss possession, can't remember. Turns out Toure was back at midfield and had gotten injured at some point I didn't notice.

The ref then dropped the ball to Arsenal, and they kicked it all the way back to my defenders, and the announcers talked about the sportsmanship being shown. That was real cool.

RaptorMania 09-12-2012 11:15 AM

Not impressed at all, its basically 12.5. The gameplay is too damn fast, I can't tell the difference between any of the players and they all change direction on a dime. The players look like barbie dolls and the skin textures are awful.

Still the same arcade fifa, maybe by next gen they will have watched an actual footy game and might learn a thing or to.

IowaAJ 09-12-2012 11:30 AM

I like it but I felt like the only way to score was get on a break away and I just didn't feel like the CPU played like they should. The game isn't bad but I'm going to play it some more and also wait for the Season ticket to make my final decision.

artmind 09-12-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorMania (Post 2044155709)
Not impressed at all, its basically 12.5. The gameplay is too damn fast, I can't tell the difference between any of the players and they all change direction on a dime. The players look like barbie dolls and the skin textures are awful.

Still the same arcade fifa, maybe by next gen they will have watched an actual footy game and might learn a thing or to.

That's what I'm talking about. EA might learn something only after PES 2014 with new engine will smash'em, but it will be too late

zanner 09-12-2012 11:44 AM

I found that instead of trying to sprint with one player at an angle towards an attacking CPU player (Which I forgot to mention I think Stamina system is going to be much better this year judging from demo), if you actually control a guy in front of that attacker and take away the straight away lane down the sideline, and subsequently play defense IN front of the ball, then the CPU will move the ball back and change the sides of the fields.

IMO, Professionals in real life would play the same way. PES, I felt like there was way TOO many through balls from the CPU AI and the changing of players were clunky, but again - I attribute the many through balls and attack from PES Demo on the fact that I wasn't necessarily playing the proper defense and taking away options rather than blaming the game...

It was pretty easy for PES to improve, a little hard for Fifa on a large scale but I still feel that the Demo of Fifa 13 really improves a lot on Fifa 12 - I was worried it would suffer the same fate as Madden and NCAA did with me and get me off the bandwagon for being a 12.5 , and Impressions from the Demo I feel great about my pre order and purchase and imo it's 13 on it's own merit gameplay wise.

Qb 09-12-2012 11:54 AM

It is possible to give one's impressions of the FIFA13 demo without repeatedly professing one's preference for PES. In fact, one's feelings regarding PES are mostly irrelevant to one's impression of the FIFA13 demo. As such, please do your best to give your impressions of the game under discussion, not a status update on your purchasing plans.

I have tried to make it clear that I'm not a hardline "no comparison/discussion" or "the other game" guy. But, I would really like to keep impressions threads focused on impressions of the game in question. I understand comparing an aspect of the two games can be useful in conveying your opinion of one game. However, that's not always necessary, and it's certainly not necessary to constantly refer to one's preference for either game.

And yes, this applies to both the FIFA & PES forums, I just happen to be in here at the moment.

pk500 09-12-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qb (Post 2044155872)
It is possible to give one's impressions of the FIFA13 demo without repeatedly professing one's preference for PES. In fact, one's feelings regarding PES are mostly irrelevant to one's impression of the FIFA13 demo. As such, please do your best to give your impressions of the game under discussion, not a status update on your purchasing plans.

How the hell can you not compare? Soccer is the only stick-and-ball sports genre with longtime, annual competitive products on all console platforms.

EA has a monopoly on the NFL, college football, golf and hockey. 2K Sports has a monopoly on the NBA and MLB, as the new NBA Live doesn't count and The Show is a PS3 exclusive.

So of course people are going to compare games. It's natural. And it will happen in this thread, not the PES demo thread, because the FIFA demo was released after the two PES demos.

When you test-drive a car, do you not compare the handling, feel, fit and finish of that vehicle to others you have driven? This is no different.

The level of discussion and comparison about the two games has been quite mature and rational in this thread. Long may these comparisons continue. They make us more educated gamers and force developers to create and release better games.

Panicshade 09-12-2012 12:50 PM

This isn't a case of a person saying one thing about the other game and then getting banned for it. They had been asked to stop multiple times in other threads and didn't.

merg311 09-12-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orion523 (Post 2044155315)
Dropping the length/width/height along with slowing down the game has made it absolutely incredible. Only thing is with just three minute halves most matches end shot-less. Once the space becomes constricted on the pitch, first touch and individual skill really begin to shine. One thing I would like to see is more variation in AI attack, but I'm hoping that can be adjusted like last year using CTT's
The more I play, the more impressed I become. The game does need slider help to bring out it's best, but that's what they're there for right!

What are you using for line length/width/height?

I tried slowing the game down somewhat, but it still feels way too fast.

Gnemi 09-12-2012 12:51 PM

I think the comparisons are fine as long as they're constructive and not petulant towel-waving.

I'm sorry, but the last post from artmind about EA learning from Konami and being smashed...definitely wasn't constructive or even interesting.

KG 09-12-2012 12:53 PM

My impressions after 6 or 7 matches:

First Touch:

Negatives:
  • It's evident but the variation in control is lacking in the sense that I have only seen the ball pop-up, never to the left or right or roll-up on a player.
  • I have seen too many accurate volley shots off poor first touches. Volleys should be one of the least successful shots (on target & for goals)
  • This is a demo setup complaint - These teams are very good with players who represent their countries. If they wanted us to really see how good this new feature is they would have thrown in some lesser clubs.
Positives:
  • It helps to tone down the success of through-balls for the CPU and most likely in human matches.
  • For all manual users it REALLY rewards you for getting placement and power correct. Hit it with too much power and IRL you should have difficulty controlling it. Replicated VERY well in the game
Movement:

Positives:
  • Animations are still silky smooth
  • You can shield the ball from defenders/attackers
Negatives:

• Inertia/Momentum is still overpowered. You're still able to sprint and stop a dime to cut it back with good acceleration.
  • Akin to the above, the CPU players are still very twitchy in that they run, stop-on-a-dime and spin back and forth with no regards to inertia. I hope that this takes a toll on their stamina but I know it won't.

Defending:

Positives:
  • Push/Pull works a lot better than last year
  • New tackle animations
  • Tackle animations have been cleaned up and generally look better (players leading with the correct foot, etc...)
  • Generally more interceptions
Negatives:
  • Still entirely too dependent on user input. Your CPU teammates lack the awareness to keep up with the increased CPU attacking AI.
  • Midfielders still don't play defensive enough which leads to a huge game between your midfield and back 4 exposing the space in between. Team Tactics might help but by default your defense should defend as a unit which they don't.
  • I wish there were seperate buttons for Push/Pull & Standing Tackle. There are times where you'd like to attempt to tackle the ball off a defender and they instead stick their arm out.

Other:
  • Players are still entirely way to successful with their weaker foot. No real "footedness" evident.
  • Fouls are still inconsistent. I have seem great calls by the refs for standing physical play but I have also seen players get clobbered in the air with no call.
  • Impact engine is a lot cleaner. Less comedic head-scratching moments.
  • SLOW felt much faster than last year (pace & default player speed)
  • Goal kicks are STILL broken.Your defensive line plays waaaaay too high on them and the -> Win header with defender -> ball lands at Strikers feet ->start counter-attack is still very prominent. How it bypasses the midfield is beyond me.
  • Keepers seemed pretty solid, no real WTF moments in all of my matches for the CPU & myself.
  • Still too many 1-on-1's with the keeper. These should be rare but I still find myself getting the occasional FIFA goal.
  • CPU actually shoots from range this year on default CTT. Huge improvement over last year.
  • CPU is still too accurate with their passes. Poor first touches help but to me it's a band-aid solution. I routinely see the CPU passing % over 90 on World Class. Pass error slider is also flawed. Yes, keeping the ball on the ground is a sign of a good passer/passing team but passing error is also about placement. Combined with how free the movement is it rarely equates to a pass going wide left or wide right. Usually the passing errors are too much power in which the defender runs down the through ball.

Overall, I think the game will be fun H2H all-manual with a few slider tweaks but a 6 minute demo is not enough for me to judge the CPU with any confidence that the AI flaws of '12 have been corrected in '13. Hopefully a few days with the EA pass will show that teams do have their own distinct personalities and their styles will vary.

Dazraz 09-12-2012 01:00 PM

For those not liking the fast pace of the demo, try turning down player speed/acceleration to about 45 & turn game speed to slow. I'm finding the game plays a lot better with these changes. Let me know what you guys think.

Qb 09-12-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pk500 (Post 2044156057)
How the hell can you not compare? Soccer is the only stick-and-ball sports genre with longtime, annual competitive products on all console platforms...

The level of discussion and comparison about the two games has been quite mature and rational in this thread. Long may these comparisons continue. They make us more educated gamers and force developers to create and release better games.

Did you miss this part?

Quote:

I have tried to make it clear that I'm not a hardline "no comparison/discussion" or "the other game" guy. But, I would really like to keep impressions threads focused on impressions of the game in question. I understand comparing an aspect of the two games can be useful in conveying your opinion of one game. However, that's not always necessary, and it's certainly not necessary to constantly refer to one's preference for either game.
I specifically stated I DO NOT take a hardline no comparison approach. However, when a FIFA impressions post talks more about what PES (or the reverse) does right (or wrong), that's not really what we're after here.

rckabillyRaider 09-12-2012 01:45 PM

I'm not really understanding the "too fast " complaints. The sprint and acceleration slider knocked down as well as pass speed and setting the game speed to slow has rendered that a non issue, IMO

electrickeeper 09-12-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider (Post 2044156359)
I'm not really understanding the "too fast " complaints. The sprint and acceleration slider knocked down as well as pass speed and setting the game speed to slow has rendered that a non issue, IMO

That's all well and good, but I am not terribly optimistic about being able to play with sliders online.

Moses Shuttlesworth 09-12-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electrickeeper (Post 2044156470)
That's all well and good, but I am not terribly optimistic about being able to play with sliders online.

When playing online, both users face the same advantages/disadvantages. Personally, I only play FIFA for the online modes/playing with friends.

Maxflier 09-12-2012 02:38 PM

Just wanted to add that I really like the skill challenges they put in for you to play while your match loads.

Hunkerdown 09-12-2012 02:48 PM

Will full game allow us to change team tactics or gameplay sliders to help teams play differently? and slow pace down a bit.

Avantgarde4 09-12-2012 03:24 PM

This is an article I read on Foxsoccer.com. It gives light to the pace of premier league football and could be related to the default pace on FIFA 13.

"Cazorla also paid tribute to fellow Spaniard Arteta for helping adapt to the Premier League so quickly.

"Arteta has advised me a lot, he told me football is much faster and less tactical than Spain. It's more give and go," added Cazorla.

"Mikel has helped me to learn to see the game and said that if we play rapidly with the ball we're going to create a lot of danger and we'll beat most teams."

rckabillyRaider 09-12-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electrickeeper (Post 2044156470)

yup, thats a problem. Didn't even think about that since I'm strictly an offline gamer. Hopefully there's a solution for online gamers

Fayt13 09-12-2012 03:56 PM

I'm surprised no one else has found shooting to be too easy

lnin0 09-12-2012 04:04 PM

Has anyone heard if "full manual" will be a choice for online H2H games again? Not that it will matter much until EA gives manual its own leaderboard. Even at the height of its release I found times where I could not find a manual match in 12. 84,000 players online and not a one of them using manual.

Overall I wish the speed was more like 12. Slow is not an option online and the new normal is just insanely fast. I am going to wait and see what I hear about the retail release. If a lot of the little stuff in this demo isn't tweaked by release then I will probably skip it.

I was also reading a post on the EA website and it made me realize something else I found odd about the demo, but couldn't put my finger on it. When you have the ball and are just moving with the left stick the game will automatically drop you into a 'crabwalk' animation to face up the defender the instant you get within three yards of someone. It is really kind of disorientating and also looks janky. On the EA forums they are also saying it effects passing but I don't know. The auto crabwalk is cancelled if you use the triggers to trick or sprint so I don't think a lot of people are noticing how odd it is because they are spinning 360s and sprinting 99% of the time. But if you try to play possession and slow the pace down it is something odd and annoying.

S1ARk5 09-12-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanner (Post 2044155557)
Played Fifa early 90's on Sega and PS1 World Cup. Then on PS2 and CPU, played Winning Eleven/PES in the late 90's/2000-01 . I went on hiatus on soccer games until ESPN ran an insider deal to get the last world cup game. I got that and purchased Fifa 11 a few months before Fifa 12 release. I played Fifa 12 last year. I've sworn off NCAA and Madden, and did enjoy the PES latest demo comparatively to Fifa 12.

That gives some perspective on my First Impressions - Because for the most part, the better than expected PES demo and the FIFA videos , I was really open to possibly foregoing Ultimate Team this season and just grind out only offline as much as I enjoy online.. And now the Fifa demo is out, I can't say that it's even the case :

First of all, the videos I've seen made me nervous; however, my first impression once in the game is that I clearly don't play like guys in the video and the cpu is not playing me like they played the guys in the demo. I was very, very impressed with the Gameplay, and for the most part speed (ya, I can use a notch down on speed, but isn't really an issue for me at the moment.) In fact, in may depend on how I played the PES demo compared to how I play Fifa, defending wise, but as much as PES is hyped on this "build up" and "attacking AI" aspect of the game I was honestly more impressed with FIFA 13 Demo's as far as attacking and/or buildup last night playing against Arsenal and Juventus as ManCity and AC Milan. Arsenal, came at me because I was too aggressive and they had the speed to get me. With AC MIlan, I made sure to stay in front of players, and Juventus pulled the ball back to midfield and also, first time I can remember and happened they switched the field on me over to Giovinco who then had some space to move forward. I actually thought the attacking and passing back was existent and done very well and I thought it better than PES for me (And that may have to do with more of a familiarity with defending controls in Fifa series)

Branching off of this - The CPU IS MUCH MUCH IMPROVED, and excellent. The players want the ball, and they'll make runs into space to try and receive the ball. Last year when I would get around the box, I felt stuck. Either shoot into a defender or give the ball up trying to dribble past defenders. This year, on multiple occasions I've had a teammate move into space or run angled into space in the box. Just feels good to feel like the teammates will make runs, and not just stand there or having to have runs having to be initiated by yourself on a give and go.

First touch and the handling is absolutely excellent, really something as simple as this changes the game so much from last year for the better. It really feels a lot more fluid of a game and a lot more of an organic, living feeling while playing a game.

With that the physics feel good and improved on last year as far as players are concerned. As far as the ball, passes, shots, and touch.. MUCH MUCH improved. I really liked PES Demo 1's feel of the ball, Demo 2 I was less of a fan for some reason - On Fifa 13 Demo, it feels better than PES Demo 1. The ball has weight and really seems like a size 5, pumped up high real ball would act on touches. It may be the combo of first touch and the ball that acts effect, but I really feel like they nailed it as far as the "weight" and "feel" of the ball.

And holy moly, they have FOULS! This absolutely killed me last year on how the CPU would never ever commit a foul. That's no longer the case imo judging from the demo. The cpu actually committed more fouls than me in more games than not. On such short halves, the foul counts were around 1 or 2 for me and 2 or 3 for the cpu. I really felt like I could trap the ball in position with Pato or Rubinho and draw a foul if I was methodical with my dribble. Last year, trapping the ball the defender would shoot out of the cannon and just take it from you with no call even if your player flopped on the ground like a fish after being tanked.. HUGE Thumbs up to EA if the fouling system stays and/or improves in the final release.

And I don't know what some people are talking about regarding the defender's headers being overpowered and the offense having no chance? I've not had this experience, I feel like it's a fair shot depending on who has the better position or angle when the ball is in the air. I felt like I lost aerial wars where I should, and won some that I hustled for position and should have won.

Also, I've got to mention the CPU actually taking open shots and chances from outside of the box. Which means they're working the ball to the middle around the box which is less sideline crossing type of game over and over. On the flip side, the defending on the sideline and the delay crossing during full speed sprint combined with the defender leg out animation doesn't make crossing as automatic. As it turns out, I had to pick my shots when I had a back sprinting sideline with space to put it out to him for a cross. I believe Fifa 13 has improved this aspect to make it less reliable and more realistic.

The negatives for me : I still think PES demos had a hand up when it comes to rebounds off of shots. While I think this demo shows some improvement from CPU AI TEAMMATES on attacking rebounds, I do feel they stand for a moment to long before reacting. Better than last year, but I think they should still be more intelligent on rebounding saves.

I would also like to see a little bit more individuality similar to PES which would allow CPU AI to take you on a little better 1 on 1. It's a small sample size of players in the Fifa DEMO and the teams I played against didn't necessarily have the Neymars or Ronaldos that will attack a defender one on one with flash and brilliance, but I still feel it's something that will need to improve next year.

Overall, I am unbelievably pleased with this DEMO! I was really nervous that this game would be FIfa 12, with a few gimmicks and the same faults (especially foul issues) in which point would have made me real disappointed. However, from my first 2 hour sit down with the demo yesterday - I think the improvements made and just the general feel and gameplay is really surprising to me and highly welcomed by me.

Great write and I said pretty much the same thing in less detail. To me the bottom line is this, as someone who was and is a huge PES fan and have been a HUGE FIFA fan since Fifa 09 and as someone who plays FIFA competitively. FIFA to me strikes that great balance between realism and arcade and that translates soooooooooo unbelievabley well online.

Having played the PES 2013 second demo, i was very impressed with the realism!!!! I loved it. However to me that type of realism doesnt translate into a fun packed, great multiplayer experience. That realism translates great into a single player master league which I am very much looking forward to.

But the bottom line, I hear all of these complaints from these gamers and I think man, folks are very spoiled. They would like the absolutely realism they see on the pitch every weekend to be emulated perfectly in a videogame and we all know that will never happen. FIFA 13 and PES 13 come close to it in my book but lets not all forget, in the end this is a game, and games are supposed to be FUN and exciting to play. Both of these games strikes that balance perfectly.

If you want great multiplayer soccer FIFA is amazing and the manager mode has been improved.

If you strictly want single player then you can not go wrong with the realism of PES and Master League.

daddytorgo 09-12-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnin0 (Post 2044156961)
I was also reading a post on the EA website and it made me realize something else I found odd about the demo, but couldn't put my finger on it. When you have the ball and are just moving with the left stick the game will automatically drop you into a 'crabwalk' animation to face up the defender the instant you get within three yards of someone. It is really kind of disorientating and also looks janky. On the EA forums they are also saying it effects passing but I don't know. The auto crabwalk is cancelled if you use the triggers to trick or sprint so I don't think a lot of people are noticing how odd it is because they are spinning 360s and sprinting 99% of the time. But if you try to play possession and slow the pace down it is something odd and annoying.

Noticed this too - very weird and kind of annoying.

All in all though, as an offline-only player (PS3), who hasn't messed with slow-speed and sliders yet, this plays better out-of-the-box then 12 did for me. First-Touch and the revamps of the Impact Engine have made it a game that actually resembles real football, and I'm excited to get home and make those slider-changes to see how it looks on slow (although with 3 minute halves I'm sure I won't be able to get much accomplished re: scoring).

Plenty of errant first-touches and balls ping-ponging around more realistically. 0-0 games on World Class difficulty (which, with 3min halves I expect). Not so much wonky stuff from the "Impact Engine" and I've seen a bunch of cool deflections. You can really see the impact of player strength in a positive way - small attackers get shoved off the ball legally, and powerful defenders can use their strength as an asset. Dropped it down to Legendary difficulty and manged to score a few goals - even a 2-1 victory a couple times.

I definitely notice an improvement in AI behavior - both from my attackers and from CPU attackers. More intelligent runs by teammates into channels, and I even scored a great goal on a counter attack where I slid a through-ball past two attackers onto a ST who was making a diagonal run. Also nice - managed to get a good ratio of on-frame to off-frame and score a couple times from the top of the 18, whereas in FIFA12 I found that to be tough for me.

Even on Legendary because of the first-touches and errant passes I lost possession a fair bit of the time - whereas on FIFA12 on Legendary I basically didn't lose possession unless I "wanted" to.

I think once i can get a good slider-set and slowing things down a bit I'll settle into playing on Legendary/World Class and having really competitive, realistic games.

Gnemi 09-12-2012 04:47 PM

It remains to be seen if the Career Mode has been improved and by how much.

The problems with the useless Youth Academy and non-existent player development/growth will require substantial improvements to make it a viable mode beyond 1 or 2 seasons.

Gnemi 09-12-2012 04:48 PM

Just to reiterate: for all of you who haven't yet tried changing sliders to ~46-48 for Speed, Acceleration, and Passing/Shooting, it makes a world of difference. You can spend both 3 minute halves of the demo with no scoring and few chances aka. actual possession and build-up football.

ZoneBlitz 09-12-2012 05:43 PM

So now I am confused. I was really impressed with the demo.

First, the presentation and graphics (menus, animations, player models, etc...) just blew me away. Add in the announcing, crowd noise, etc... and licensed teams, and now the immersion is awesome. Then, playing the game, I was amazed at how much better it is than FIFA 12. While still not quite there, it made a significant jump towards simulation football as opposed to arcade football. That improve really deepens the immersion for me. Plus, the added realism makes it really fun.

I am really thinking about playing this game this year.

I tell you the truth, if FIFA added realistic computer AI, real football strategy, and teams that play like their real life counter parts, this game would obliterate the competition.

jayhawkblue 09-12-2012 05:58 PM

Something I saw when I was playing the game earlier but didn't get a chance to play around with: match starting time. Now set to real times instead of just day, night, overcast, etc. Has anyone played an afternoon match where the sun is out to begin with and then it progresses into night as the match goes on?

dubcity 09-12-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz (Post 2044157486)
So now I am confused. I was really impressed with the demo.

First, the presentation and graphics (menus, animations, player models, etc...) just blew me away. Add in the announcing, crowd noise, etc... and licensed teams, and now the immersion is awesome. Then, playing the game, I was amazed at how much better it is than FIFA 12.

I'm noticing the crowd noise improvements more and more. The crowd goes nuts when the home team steals the ball in their own penalty area, or when the anticipate a shot. It's a little thing, but it makes the game more fun.

Broncos86 09-12-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubcity (Post 2044157588)
I'm noticing the crowd noise improvements more and more. The crowd goes nuts when the home team steals the ball in their own penalty area, or when the anticipate a shot. It's a little thing, but it makes the game more fun.

Count me as one of the individuals REALLY impressed with the demo. I just bought NHL 13, and I keep playing the FIFA 13 demo. The sound is excellent in the demo. I had an instance where I pushed a ball through and the defender had it, but I made a play on the ball near the penalty box. At first, the crowd got loud with anticipation, quieted a bit when they saw the defender with it, but then went into an uproar as I stole the ball and broke into the box.

I'm really looking forward to FIFA 13. For me, the gameplay is just compelling. I keep wanting to play match after match. The AI has been able to really lock me down if I just try to run it down the sidelines, or try some hokey strategy. They've been aggressive on me and I've had to back-pass quite a bit to maintain control.

daddytorgo 09-12-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnemi (Post 2044157207)
Just to reiterate: for all of you who haven't yet tried changing sliders to ~46-48 for Speed, Acceleration, and Passing/Shooting, it makes a world of difference. You can spend both 3 minute halves of the demo with no scoring and few chances aka. actual possession and build-up football.

This. Although by slowing things down and promoting actual buildup I find that it actually helped me score more.

Panicshade 09-12-2012 07:02 PM

I find myself playing the random skill challenge that loads up before the match a lot before I finally go into the match. I am a very mediocre player so it does take me a while to catch on to what I have to do on some of them.

I wish they would have had the option in the demo to play those outside of the pre-match loading screens. I know they will be there in the full retail version.

razorkaos 09-12-2012 07:12 PM

finally tried the demo. playing on the 360, legendary, full manual controls, slow speed and sliders (speed-accel=46, pass speed=48, for both sides).

first thing i`ve noticed is that legendary looks easier than world class. on legendary, i can walk through defenders and get inside the box easily, and they block shots far less than on world class. cpu looks desperate on world class, and they really ignore build up and midfield play. sometimes, they make a 40yd pass through all my players, reaching a striker alone in the box. wing play is easier now, cpu seems to let you go down the wings without bother you. also, noticed that few problems are still in the game, like the bug when you play with manual player switching, and sometimes, the cpu refuses to accept you command to switch the player. it happens more often in the box, when you are trying to defend an air ball. still in the box, GK`s AI vs air balls is still ridiculous, they don`t try to intercept a cross by punching the ball, as would be obvious. Instead, they keep stepping on the goal line, watching the ball reach its intended receiver.

Attacking AI works, but it`s not as great as people think it is. Your strikers really make more runs forward, but 90% of the time, they run to the wrong lane. Most of the time, the striker runs towards a defender instead running to the open space. AI defenders look dumber too, making defending a lot harder as you have to manually retreat with some of your CB`s that suffer from Lucio`s Syndrom, when they think they are strikers...

Overall, the gameplay needs some improvement, but 13 its far better than 12. Presentation looks better too. Menu is cleaner than 12`s, and during the game, i`ve noticed even players warming on the sidelines and what should be the teams coaches. I`m curious to see how the brazilian commentary will be, once they put a sports presentator to comment the game, with a real commentator and former player on his side...