Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Golf (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OUTRAGE over DLC courses? (/forums/showthread.php?t=475952)

ksolo12 04-01-2011 06:00 PM

Re: OUTRAGE over DLC courses?

Quote:

Originally Posted by globalbeats7 (Post 2042271703)
i wouldnt call people out like that ya know. if gamers have the funds and choose to pay for DLC then thats their decision. these are OPTIONS we have now that we didnt have in previous generations. if you want to argue the pricing, availability, etc then you have a valid concern but its not like they stripped courses from the game and now charge a fee for them. last year i chose not to purchase any DLC content for my reasons. This year im thinking about it. but dont call people names because they made the decision to pay $10 or whatever for a couple extra courses. i mean if you buy ringtones for your phone then according to you, youd be the sucker....right? so ease off on putting others down to make yourself look like the consumer expert. people come from all walks of life and have vast differences in finances and as consumers we can elect to purchase whatever we choose. at the same time, EA is a business. yes from the gamers perspective they should make us happy but they have an obligation to profit from their product. if they dont, then the trickle down affect will hurt the consumer because that product will either not exist or be severly deflated. so for every person you want to call a sucker for spending $$ on DLC you should prob start thanking them for pumping more $$ into the very same product you are thinking of buying.

and if you buy ringtones or games on ur phone, recently bought a car and spent the extra $$ to have a moonroof, or you have hbo and showtime with your cable provider, or you just ordered a sandwich and payed extra for cheese....the list goes on and on and on. then shame on you for calling others a sucker when you fall right in line with it.

Excellent post!!! You brought up a lot of good points about the choices that consumers have and I think we have all at one point of our lives paid for something extra (cheese on burgers or additional care or tv services etc....)

As many have said its all about choice. If you dont like the idea of paying for additional courses then you dont have to. I personally have not bought any extra content from EA but I do understand their side of the argument.

fool 04-01-2011 06:32 PM

I have never bought ANY kind of DLC in any game, but I think I will bite on these courses. It kind of makes me peeved to do it, but this game is just SO good that I don't see any reason I will want Tiger 13. I see this as a 2 year game, so the $$ is just pennies on the dollar. Augusta is the most revolutionary thing Tiger has brought us in years. This game has hit it's peak on the current systems, so I am not seeing what they could do to make 13 a "must buy" game. I skipped 11 because I enjoyed 10, and I see myself skipping 13 also.

I do think EA is trying to price gouge, but this game will probably lose some $ compared to last years game due to Tiger's image going down the toilet. It's pretty sad when Tiger isn't the focal part on the cover of his own game. I am very curious if they had planned on getting Augusta before Tiger had his legal issues, or if they realized they needed to go really big this year and get the focus on something like Augusta.

The fact EA is withholding these courses is a cash grab, but that's what every single band on Earth does. They release albums with 10-14 songs at a time, when they could easily release 2 or 3x that price. EA can't just give it away, but I think it should be something like 25 included courses and maybe 8-10 DLC. The fact there is MORE DLC than what comes on the disc is what got me ****ed. Oh well, I'm a sucker and $50 is chump change lol.

DivotMaker 04-02-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolltide1017 (Post 2042267913)
Man, some people will just always complain. The number of courses on the disc has not changed in years, you always get around 16 on the PS3/360. The 360 disc can not hold anymore, there is no more space. I did my fair share of complaining in years past when each course was $10. This year it is the cheapest they have ever been, only $2.78 per course if you buy both packs. Yet people still complain about the price.

It sucked in years past that you had to wait months and months for the courses to slowly trickle out as DLC, now we get them all on day one. Yet people still complain.

It sucked not being able to use the DLC course in career mode at all in years past so, they make a few events that use some DLC in career mode to address this. Is it the way most of us dreamed it would be implemented, no but, it is better then nothing. So now we can use some DLC in career mode yet people now complain about it.

The "not a complete game" argument is laughable. You can achieve all goals and complete every mode in the game without buying any DLC, you just have to skip a few events in career mode.

I just don't see what there is to complain about. They dropped the price, which is what we asked for; they added them to career mode, which is what we asked for; they released them all on day one, which is what we asked for. Can't complain when we get what we asked for, at least I asked (hoped) for it.

All the money people spend on map packs, some of those maps being old ones from previous games, and now people want to complain about EA providing more course then they are able to fit on the disc. We could be stuck with the 16 on the disc but instead, I know have access to 35 courses. No complaints from me.

Now, if you want to complain about how everything else is for sale in the game, like sponsor level ups and junk in the pro shop, I'm right there with you on that one.

VERY well stated.......:appl:

josef 04-02-2011 10:31 AM

i TOTALLY agree with the above comment from rolltide.. but this is the part i don't like.. I just read this on the Game Revolution review:

"Further criticism can be lodged at the DLC courses – not for their existence, but for how they are incorporated into the PGA Tour schedule. A good portion of the event calendar is based on these DLC courses, which if you don't have, must be skipped. But instead of letting bygones be bygones, you are effectively penalized by having the CPU be able to compete and collect points on the FedexCup Leaderboard and EA Sports World Rankings due to your absence. Even after I placed first in every non-DLC event leading up to the Masters, I placed only 101st on the World Rankings list (if you can believe it), one place shy of the required Top 100 for the Masters invitation, which forced me to spend three additional hours completing all nine Masters Moments instead. This is the very definition of invasive DLC, an unfortunate side effect of EA's aggressive campaign for extra cash."

Uncool.

peigone 04-02-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivotMaker (Post 2042273689)
VERY well stated.......:appl:

He's essentially defending the POV that spending additional money in order to fully play a career mode that's missing 25% of its content, is not only entirely okay, but that people who can't appreciate that are nothing more than complainers. And you're applauding that.

It's game over folks. The corporations have won. Black is white, down is up, and we're their smiling, submissive credit card-carrying flunkies.

So for those who try and think further ahead than, you know, tonight's supper, you understand where this is headed, right?

Madden NFL 12 -- Includes 10 unique and generic stadiums to play in! (Real stadiums available as DLC at a nominal fee.)

NHL 13 -- Battle your way though the long and gruelling 82-game season! (Playoff and Stanley Cup game action available as DLC for an additional cost.)

Actually that last one has already happened. EA put out Road to the World Cup, but didn't allow the User to actually compete in the World Cup final!

Wake up and smell the coffee, people. Or happily grab your credit cards. (Whichever applies to you.)

peigone 04-02-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josef (Post 2042273799)
i TOTALLY agree with the above comment from rolltide.. but this is the part i don't like.. I just read this on the Game Revolution review:

"Further criticism can be lodged at the DLC courses – not for their existence, but for how they are incorporated into the PGA Tour schedule. A good portion of the event calendar is based on these DLC courses, which if you don't have, must be skipped. But instead of letting bygones be bygones, you are effectively penalized by having the CPU be able to compete and collect points on the FedexCup Leaderboard and EA Sports World Rankings due to your absence. Even after I placed first in every non-DLC event leading up to the Masters, I placed only 101st on the World Rankings list (if you can believe it), one place shy of the required Top 100 for the Masters invitation, which forced me to spend three additional hours completing all nine Masters Moments instead. This is the very definition of invasive DLC, an unfortunate side effect of EA's aggressive campaign for extra cash."

Uncool.

You're apparently a coffee-smeller, josef. Great post.

SqueakyD 04-02-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peigone (Post 2042273834)
So for those who try and think further ahead than, you know, tonight's supper, you understand where this is headed, right?

A few years ago, the community over at Sarcastic Gamer did a boycott on one of EA's games (Battlefield: Bad Company) for having announced DLC for weapons ... (weapons were only available free for those who preordered)... The premise was nearly the same back then as it is now: those who bought the game after release did not get a full game. That boycott took off and spread really quickly through all game news sites including Joystiq, Destructoid, G4, etc and finally EA budged and made the weapons available to all for free (through gameplay unlock).

Now if only we can do some damage here at OS. :y220:

peigone 04-02-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SqueakyD (Post 2042273864)
A few years ago, the community over at Sarcastic Gamer did a boycott on one of EA's games (Battlefield: Bad Company) for having announced DLC for weapons ... (weapons were only available free for those who preordered)... The premise was nearly the same back then as it is now: those who bought the game after release did not get a full game. That boycott took off and spread really quickly through all game news sites including Joystiq, Destructoid, G4, etc and finally EA budged and made the weapons available to all for free (through gameplay unlock).

Now if only we can do some damage here at OS. :y220:

Wow, just wow. I read that, and I read josef's post, and for the life of me I cannot fathom anyone defending EA here, and what's going on with DLC as it applies to games now being shipped without fully-complete modes, and/or all game content available to the purchaser.