Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   "Swing Stick Advanced!" (/forums/showthread.php?t=290637)

bakesalee 01-24-2009 09:37 PM

"Swing Stick Advanced!"

Oh f*(@. Last week when I read zone-hitting was back I imagined the button based hitting system that 2k3-5 employed. I hate swing stick!

SoxFan01605 01-24-2009 09:49 PM

Re: "Swing Stick Advanced!"

No offense, but does this need it's own thread? It's been discussed in the features and preview threads. Not my call though, so I'll play along:)...lol

Sorry you hate it, but i think it's a good idea. One thing I (and others) have been critical of is how 2K is constantly changing their controls rather than refining the ones they have. Now they are at least trying to refine what they have in place. Swing Stick can work if done correctly.

To me, the only knock on it was the lack of any "aiming" or bat placement through the zone. Now, that problem appears to have been addressed (time will tell to what degree). If they pulled it off, it will be an excellent system (as the swing stick already better captures the total timing-including step and pivot) and might actually be the innovation some were thinking it would be.

I guess, other than the limitations of the older swing stick systems, I don't understand the hatred for swing stick.

Foo4Everlong 01-24-2009 09:50 PM

I'm sorry, but I think pushing buttons is boring, but it'll probably still be an option to use most likely. Later

jeffy777 01-24-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoxFan01605 (Post 2039116900)
One thing I (and others) have been critical of is how 2K is constantly changing their controls rather than refining the ones they have. Now they are at least trying to refine what they have in place. Swing Stick can work if done correctly.

To me, the only knock on it was the lack of any "aiming" or bat placement through the zone.

To be fair, the Swing Stick in 2K8 was an improvement over 2K7. You could "aim" your hits by pushing up at a left or right angle if you wanted to pull or push the ball, which wasn't an option in 2K7. It actually worked quite well once you got the hang of it and provided a lot more control than 2K7's Swing Stick.

So they have been refining it. I'm guessing this year will be even better.

SoxFan01605 01-24-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffy777 (Post 2039116911)
To be fair, the Swing Stick in 2K8 was an improvement over 2K7. You could "aim" your hits by pushing up at a left or right angle if you wanted to pull or push the ball, which wasn't an option in 2K7. It actually worked quite well once you got the hang of it and provided a lot more control than 2K7's Swing Stick.

So they have been refining it. I'm guessing this year will be even better.

You could influence...not aim. There's a difference...a big one for me. When I say aim, I'm talking bat placement;).

In 2K8, swing stick worked "ok" IMO, but it was incomplete for me (as it missed the zone hitting type elements). The advertised additions this year have me anticipating how well the mechanic will work. It should take away that incomplete feel it had for me.

And I do agree they've been refining it. They have had a habit of switching controls every year for a while now though (speaking generally, not specifically to the hitting mechanic). That was my point...I'm glad they're sticking with it and continuing the refinements rather than once again scrapping and going to an older zone system:).

jeffy777 01-24-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoxFan01605 (Post 2039116940)
You could influence...not aim. There's a difference...a big one for me. When I say aim, I'm talking bat placement;).

Oh, gotcha. When you said aim, I thought you were talking about aiming the ball ;)

baa7 01-25-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakesalee (Post 2039116863)
Oh f*(@. Last week when I read zone-hitting was back I imagined the button based hitting system that 2k3-5 employed. I hate swing stick!

You should wait until the game comes out before jumping to conclusions. Could be both. And it might be neither: as someone else mentioned, it might not even be true zone hitting with the swing stick. The 2K write-up says you can now "aim", and doesn't actually call it zone hitting.

baa7 01-25-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoxFan01605 (Post 2039116900)
Sorry you hate it, but i think it's a good idea. One thing I (and others) have been critical of is how 2K is constantly changing their controls rather than refining the ones they have. Now they are at least trying to refine what they have in place. Swing Stick can work if done correctly.

Swing stick + zone hitting is the one reason I'm even thinking of picking this game up. I'd already decided I wouldn't even bother renting it this year if they were going with timing-only hitting again. This one feature (along with step-influence) could revolutionize baseball games in the same way the skill stick has for video hockey.

Fatalah 01-25-2009 12:42 PM

I'm sorry but I've never been a fan of swing stick. You can't just bring analog joystick controls to every sport and expect it to work. There's something very satisfying about hitting a button and crushing a hot liner down the 3rd base line. Even more important---the Swing stick doesn't result in high hit variation. It just feels wrong, I hate it with a passion.

But that's just my opinion. :-D

sask3m 01-25-2009 01:21 PM

i'd really like to see how easy it would be to step and swing with the R stick all the while trying to aim the bat at a fastball using the L stick, while some might be able to manage this i think would be way to hard for me.

SoxFan01605 01-25-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatalah (Post 2039118045)
I'm sorry but I've never been a fan of swing stick. You can't just bring analog joystick controls to every sport and expect it to work. There's something very satisfying about hitting a button and crushing a hot liner down the 3rd base line. Even more important---the Swing stick doesn't result in high hit variation. It just feels wrong, I hate it with a passion.

I understand the preference for the "feel" of the button system...everyone has their thing. I disagree about the hit variation though (when speaking of the potential for the new system...I do agree about previous systems, however;)).

The hit variation was at least partially a product of hit stick's limitations when it came to bat control. Yes, you got better timing mechanics, but your ability to "aim" or put your bat through a specific zone was nullified.

It's that limitation (poor control of the bat in your hands) that lead to (again, at least in part) poor hit variety. The hit variety might also partly be a result of a limited "under the hood" system...which means it wouldn't matter what control mechanic you toss in.

The potential the new system holds could change all that, and baa's right, could revolutionize the baseball hitting mechanic if done right. That's the key though of course, it has to be done right:).

We don't know what the specifics are on the "aiming" function. Given that when I said aiming earlier someone misunderstood me and though I meant influence, it quite possible could be that it's not what some of us are hoping it will be. It could be just a more detailed "influence" system.

I think many people who see hit stick and say "oh no" are looking at the past functions of the mechanic rather than the mechanic itself.

Now, as I said, this doesn't account for the people who simply just don't want to use a stick over buttons. Not sure what I think about that little debate. I personally have no preference...I just want whatever yields the best results...regardless of the mechanic.

EDIT: To the OP: If, by some chance, you are musing on the irony of me opening with a comment like "does this really need it's own thread" and then posting like crazy in it...umm...well...hurray unintended hypocracy...lol:)

jeffy777 01-25-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry but I've never been a fan of swing stick. You can't just bring analog joystick controls to every sport and expect it to work. There's something very satisfying about hitting a button and crushing a hot liner down the 3rd base line.

I find button hitting to be very boring. Atleast with the Swing Stick there's some actual motion in involved and it's more natural for influencing, which makes the hit variety less random.

Cabke 01-25-2009 04:35 PM

I don't care for either the stick based pitching or hitting, but is it required to use if you play online? I really hope not.

bakesalee 01-25-2009 07:52 PM

Sorry about making a lone "I Hate Swingstick Thread." I later realized it was being discussed in the "new features" thread. I thought that was the "new features" thread from last week (the one that got me excited with "zone hitting," not the one with the simliar title announcing my dreaded swing stick).

I don't want to take swing stick away from those who like it. But I just feel jipped. I got hooked on baseball video games (and actually became a fan of the actual sport because of the games believe it or not) because of Sega/2k baseball in the early 2000's. Now I'm like a drug addict craving something that no longer exists.

Why remove the hitting system? Add swing stick - fine. But don't gimp and remove the hitting system we've all been accostomed to. I have friends who don't like video games who got addicted to Sega/2k baseball. It was totally easy/pick up and play, yet deep when you got the hang of things. That's just not how it is anymore. This isn't football where the casual fan is put off to play because it's straight up daunting. That's the beauty of a baseball game.

bigfnjoe96 01-25-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakesalee (Post 2039119127)
Sorry about making a lone "I Hate Swingstick Thread." I later realized it was being discussed in the "new features" thread. I thought that was the "new features" thread from last week (the one that got me excited with "zone hitting," not the one with the simliar title announcing my dreaded swing stick).

I don't want to take swing stick away from those who like it. But I just feel jipped. I got hooked on baseball video games (and actually became a fan of the actual sport because of the games believe it or not) because of Sega/2k baseball in the early 2000's. Now I'm like a drug addict craving something that no longer exists.

Why remove the hitting system? Add swing stick - fine. But don't gimp and remove the hitting system we've all been accostomed to. I have friends who don't like video games who got addicted to Sega/2k baseball. It was totally easy/pick up and play, yet deep when you got the hang of things. That's just not how it is anymore. This isn't football where the casual fan is put off to play because it's straight up daunting. That's the beauty of a baseball game.

Even though they are promoting Swing Stick Advance, I'm pretty sure they will have the option for Classic Hitting. They offer Classic Shooting in their NBA Series even though they promote using the Analog Stick.

I'm really intrigued by the new Zone Hitting if that's what were really getting. Pasta Padre stated Zone Hitting, yet 2k calls it Swing Stick Advance.

baa7 01-26-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96 (Post 2039119272)
Pasta Padre stated Zone Hitting, yet 2k calls it Swing Stick Advance.

Maybe the full name is the Zone Hitting Option of Swing Stick Advanced... you know, like the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?

bigfnjoe96 01-26-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baa7 (Post 2039120243)
Maybe the full name is the Zone Hitting Option of Swing Stick Advanced... you know, like the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?

Oh baa, you just made a funny....

baa7 01-26-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96 (Post 2039120250)
Oh baa, you just made a funny....

I'm giddy with delight that zone hitting is back, regardless of what they end up naming it!

bigfnjoe96 01-26-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baa7 (Post 2039120271)
I'm giddy with delight that zone hitting is back, regardless of what they end up naming it!

Would this gif describe your giddiness?

baa7 01-26-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96 (Post 2039120312)
Would this gif describe your giddiness?

As pathetic as it sounds given I should know better, once I heard zone hitting was in, I decided I'm buying the game on release day. So yeah, dancing with glee is about where I'm at.

The other thing though is I haven't bought a 2K game in a couple years now, except from the bargain bin. I'm thinking with all the money I've saved I can afford to toss $60 their way. My way of supporting them, given it would be a bad day for video gaming if they went under.

Trevytrev11 01-26-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baa7 (Post 2039120481)
I decided I'm buying the game on release day.

I thought I saw some pigs flying on my drive into work.

CMH 01-26-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevytrev11 (Post 2039120486)

Yea, I'm still trying to pick up my jaw from the floor.

bigfnjoe96 01-26-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baa7 (Post 2039120481)
once I heard zone hitting was in, I decided I'm buying the game on release day. So yeah, dancing with glee is about where I'm at.

baa, on his way to Gamestop on release day...

baa7 01-26-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96 (Post 2039120539)
baa, on his way to Gamestop on release day...

That was me last year. Except I went on a (donut-less) fast and lost 60 pounds -- I can wear size 30 pants again. But the jumping for joy part is pretty acccurate.

And to the "haters" in the previous two posts ;) ... you saying you're not a little bit excited, to the point where you just might go buy this game when it comes out???

Okay, maybe that is extreme behavior on my part...

SoxFan01605 01-26-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baa7 (Post 2039120579)
That was me last year. Except I went on a (donut-less) fast and lost 60 pounds -- I can wear size 30 pants again. But the jumping for joy part is pretty acccurate.

And to the "haters" in the previous two posts ;) ... you saying you're not a little bit excited, to the point where you just might go buy this game when it comes out???

Man...one feature did this to you? WOW!

lol...now I REALLY hope it works as advertised:)

baa7 01-26-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoxFan01605 (Post 2039120749)
Man...one feature did this to you? WOW!

lol...now I REALLY hope it works as advertised:)

Ha-ha! Look, I haven't bought a new baseball game for my 360 in three years... in the entire time I've owned the thing! And after renting 2K8 last year, I made the decision that I wouldn't even bother renting 2K9 if zone hitting wasn't back in the game. What can I say? I'm a fan of zone hitting!

I've saved $180 by not buying 2K6, 2K7 or 2K8. The way I look at it, I can buy 2K9 and still say I saved 120 bucks. :)

SoxFan01605 01-26-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baa7 (Post 2039120840)
Ha-ha! Look, I haven't bought a new baseball game for my 360 in three years... in the entire time I've owned the thing! And after renting 2K8 last year, I made the decision that I wouldn't even bother renting 2K9 if zone hitting wasn't back in the game. What can I say? I'm a fan of zone hitting!

I've saved $180 by not buying 2K6, 2K7 or 2K8. The way I look at it, I can buy 2K9 and still say I saved 120 bucks. :)

no...I see where you're coming from. My interest in 2K9 was mostly mild amusement until I read about the new system and the "living ballpark" feature. I will definitely give it a rent now.

I'm just not quite ready to give 2K my money before I know anything...they don't deserve it...lol.

You do realize if you keep saving you'll eventually have enough for a PS3 and The Show...Just in time for it to become a "last gen" experience...lol.

Jokes aside, I hope 2K9 is a good enough game where you (and anyone else) can enjoy the purchase:).

Trevytrev11 01-26-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baa7 (Post 2039120579)

If they couple zone hitting with no meatballs, I might join the club, but I've kind of been brainwashed by you "buyer be ware" philosophy.

As far as that giddy feeling you have, just remember the utter feeling of dissapointment you've felt the last two years after renting it...maybe that will help calm you down....sounds like 2K-aholics anonymous.

Mariners4411 01-26-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

I am with you. the swing stick is the worst thing that has ever made its way into a Baseball video game.

baa7 01-26-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoxFan01605 (Post 2039120853)
You do realize if you keep saving you'll eventually have enough for a PS3 and The Show...Just in time for it to become a "last gen" experience...lol.

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that. Interesting way of looking at it. :)

Actually, I've got a PS2, so I'm set as far as The Show goes. Maybe next year when they redo the player models, I'll look at getting a PS3, maybe.

baa7 01-26-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevytrev11 (Post 2039121065)
As far as that giddy feeling you have, just remember the utter feeling of dissapointment you've felt the last two years after renting it...maybe that will help calm you down....sounds like 2K-aholics anonymous.

Oh man I laughed out loud when I read that, LOL! :) Hey, I wasn't all that disappointed with 2K8. It ran perfectly on my CRT television, so no framerate issues. And I thought the hitting was very good -- swing stick and step-influence are brilliant -- especially after playing The Show which had the problem of a huge contact window.

Something else 2K games have going for them is the player ratings usually make a huge difference when edited. The first day I played the game, I lowered Jason Giambi's fielding ratings down so he'd muff every other throw to first. 1B's in The Show can't make errors -- it's hard-coded into the game. So I had fun watching the Giambino running around the first base dugout looking for balls he'd dropped.

As for the rest... yeah, it was disappointing, you're right. ;)

Cabke 01-26-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevytrev11 (Post 2039120486)

You know someone has to buy it first here so we'll all know if it's worth our so heck, if he wants to do it why not? It may save us $60 bucks lol. :)

baa7 01-26-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma1093 (Post 2039121471)
You know someone has to buy it first here so we'll all know if it's worth our so heck, if he wants to do it why not? It may save us $60 bucks lol. :)

Ha! That's usually what I do -- let other poor saps fork out the dough, and then wait for the online weeping and wailing in the Impressions thread.

Trevytrev11 01-26-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma1093 (Post 2039121471)

You have to understand that Baa's been the leading advocate of the BBW and the RIBYBI (Buyer Be Ware and Rent It Before You Buy It) programs over the last few years and has converted many former 2K followers to his dark side when it comes to the MLB 2K series.

This shocking news would be the equivilent to Tom Cruise denouncing Scientology.

baa7 01-26-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevytrev11 (Post 2039121577)
You have to understand that Baa's been the leading advocate of the BBW and the RIBYBI (Buyer Be Ware and Rent It Before You Buy It) programs over the last few years and has converted many former 2K followers to his dark side when it comes to the MLB 2K series.

This shocking news would be the equivilent to Tom Cruise denouncing Scientology.

Jeezus, lol... :)

Anyway, I was just reading about EA's MVP series, and I understand that game had some sort of aim system that wasn't zone hitting. Is that correct? Because I'm suddenly thinking maybe 2K's going with something other than a real zone system, seeing they didn't call it zone hitting in their game features writeup. In which case BBW, and this game would definitely be something you'd want to RBYBI. ;)

JoshCA916 01-26-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariners4411 (Post 2039121117)
I am with you. the swing stick is the worst thing that has ever made its way into a Baseball video game.

then i would have to say you are afraid of change my friend, swing stick is great for baseball, button mashing is in the past(i would play nintendo if i wanted to pull off button mashing). Now do I think swing stick could have been done better and should be done better? YES!!! the timing actually gets you involved in hitting in the game and is great, now if they add some sort of zone aiming/hitting to go with the great timing then this will be the best ever usage of a hitting mode in a baseball game ever, next gen games are great because they can add so much to playing a game and not having to rely on a d-pad and 2 buttons like the nintendo did, i love analog controls and i just wish they would perfect them to make versions of games better

baa7 01-26-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshCA916 (Post 2039122171)
then i would have to say you are afraid of change my friend

I don't think you can say that, given you don't know the fellow. Maybe something along the lines of "You have a flair for the dramatic", or "You have a penchant for hyperbole." Because calling the swing stick "the worst thing that has ever made its way into a Baseball video game" is, and let's face it, more a gross overstatement than anything else.