Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NHL 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   NHL 2K10 Hands-On Preview (2KHockey) (/forums/showthread.php?t=351588)

savoie2006 08-26-2009 04:21 PM

NHL 2K10 Hands-On Preview (2KHockey)

2KHockey has posted their hands-on preview of NHL 2K10.

Quote:

"On Thursday, the good ol’ folks at 2K Sports were kind enough to let me try out NHL 2K10 before its release next month. I suppressed my excitement and tried to soak in as much of the experience as possible, since I knew I wouldn’t have a chance to play it for another 30 days or so.

After putting some thought into it, I really feel the best way for me to translate my hands-on experience into useful information for you guys is to not only elaborate on aspects of the game I feel help replicate a realistic simulation, but to also note the most noticeable improvements over last year’s version."

CarryTheWeight 08-26-2009 04:52 PM

Re: Hands On Preview From 2KHockey.Net

The Whale Is Back!

Other than that sudden outburst of enthusiasm, I think this was a good preview. Not amazing, but good. At this point I think a demo would be the best thing that can happen to my outlook on 2K10, though...

EDIT: Good to hear that the right-stick "NHL 10" controls are more responsive...but then again, a spin with a demo will tell me for sure. And is it just me, or does Ovechkin's face model look better in that screen than it did in the first trailer?

Scottdau 08-26-2009 04:55 PM

Wow, I didn't think I could get more pum for this game, but after reading this, it happen! 3 more weeks.

baa7 08-26-2009 04:59 PM

Those arenas are ridiculous.

Scottdau 08-26-2009 05:01 PM

The different lighting is going to be SICK! My SONY is going to be loving this game.

baa7 08-26-2009 05:02 PM

The player models look very good actually. And the lighting is off-the-charts -- maybe the best ever in a video game. Impressive to say the least.

Scottdau 08-26-2009 05:04 PM

Yeah I agree. The Sharks Tank looks so real. With those bight white lights. Can't wait to play this game.

Scottdau 08-26-2009 05:06 PM

It would suck, if the intro were only for the playoffs. But after thinking about it, it is OK. You still have the same lighting and that will make each arena look different!

RoyalBoyle78 08-26-2009 05:17 PM

I'm torn between which to get..........................

Flyermania 08-26-2009 05:21 PM

I liked the comparison of the jump from 2k4 to 2k5 resembling that of 2k9 to 2k10...that jump back then was a great one. I'm looking forward to giving this one a whirl!

savoie2006 08-26-2009 05:30 PM

Guys, just wanted to say that I missed something very important at the end of that preview and that was the special thanks and heads up about some exclusive gameplay footage on the way.

ezekiel55 08-26-2009 05:38 PM

After playing EA's demo and being underwhelmed, I was hoping 2k would make the changes the previewer mentioned.

Looks like I'll be playing 2k again this year.

RealmK 08-26-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyermania (Post 2040089924)
I liked the comparison of the jump from 2k4 to 2k5 resembling that of 2k9 to 2k10...that jump back then was a great one. I'm looking forward to giving this one a whirl!

Agreed, more responsive controls? :woot: Good looking arenas :woot: Bring on the demo 2k and let the AI be good pretty pretty please.

Scottdau 08-26-2009 05:51 PM

I agree Realm I will say onething having the lights be difference will go a long way in realling making the Arenas feel different.

baa7 08-26-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyermania (Post 2040089924)
I liked the comparison of the jump from 2k4 to 2k5 resembling that of 2k9 to 2k10...that jump back then was a great one.

Interesting you say that as I was thinking about that after seeing these pics (didn't read the article). What's always impressed me with NFL 2K5 and with VC is how they're able to create the illusion of a 3-dimensional depth of field with their players. Whereas in a game like Madden, the players appear to me as flat animations moving in front of a two-dimensional background. This game looks like VC has taken all that to a whole new level.

Eddie1967 08-26-2009 06:54 PM

WOW, very nice review. Very excited about this game.

Eddie1967 08-26-2009 06:56 PM

The AI looked pretty strong as well. I don’t remember having any issues with my defensemen not holding the line. My teammates always seemed to be in the right position for the open pass, and the opposing AI appeared pretty tenacious on both offense on defense, which is a huge factor for a good offline experience.
I’d almost given up on offline play vs. the computer the past several years due a lack of tenacity by the CPU AI, but what I saw—albeit very little—looked quite promising.

Sweet!

Eddie1967 08-26-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baa7 (Post 2040089805)
The player models look very good actually. And the lighting is off-the-charts -- maybe the best ever in a video game. Impressive to say the least.

WOW baa, did you just say that? You are hard on the player models if I remember so you must be really impressed.

TIm 08-26-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savoie2006 (Post 2040089974)
Guys, just wanted to say that I missed something very important at the end of that preview and that was the special thanks and heads up about some exclusive gameplay footage on the way.

Savoie,
I have been very critical about 2k and the info they released.. Now this preview is what I am talking about...It was a very good read and the pics are outstanding. But I couldn't help but notice you said there will be exclusive videos :) When will they release?? Any word on the street!! LOL

ezio 08-26-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIm (Post 2040090617)
Savoie,
I have been very critical about 2k and the info they released.. Now this preview is what I am talking about...It was a very good read and the pics are outstanding. But I couldn't help but notice you said there will be exclusive videos :) When will they release?? Any word on the street!! LOL

According to the site beginning of next week hopefully :)

bigmoe 08-26-2009 08:35 PM

If 2K10 has a true broadcast cam ( fixed at center ice with a swival and zoom when players cross the blue line in the offensive zone) Why is this so hard for the developers ? I think I may go back to 2K .Only if the game plays a true hockey sim of course.

BigH2k6 08-26-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmoe (Post 2040090891)
If 2K10 has a true broadcast cam ( fixed at center ice with a swival and zoom when players cross the blue line in the offensive zone) Why is this so hard for the developers ? I think I may go back to 2K .Only if the game plays a true hockey sim of course.

2k9 had the closest to real life broadcast camera angle. One of the few brightspots of 2k9 :)

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlFkwbnTehA

RealmK 08-26-2009 09:23 PM

Its a shame the commentary is going to drag the overall presentation down for me, I hope next year they actually make the effort to write a better play by play script and have Hahn and Remenda show a little more passion and less "reading lines" emotion. Otherwise though I have to give them credit for not only the arena's looking stunning but making an effort to get the lighting of various arenas down. Thats a really nice touch, hope the game plays as decent as it looks.

onlybygrace 08-27-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottdau (Post 2040090084)
I agree Realm I will say onething having the lights be difference will go a long way in realling making the Arenas feel different.

Not only that but the specific intros...

Man...I really hope, for their own good, that they release a demo.

I've been a 2k guy for most of the new millenium...so anything is possible. :cool:

Scottdau 08-27-2009 01:15 AM

I just hope they are for the whole season. ;)

tabulaRasa 08-27-2009 03:28 AM

Sounds really good, really really like the new player models and faces, just wish they fixed the goalie pants :D
BTW, the Ovie player model, face, looked better in that Allstar pic.

Overall the gameplay adjustments sounded really good.

baa7 08-27-2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealmK (Post 2040091124)
Its a shame the commentary is going to drag the overall presentation down for me, I hope next year they actually make the effort to write a better play by play script and have Hahn and Remenda show a little more passion and less "reading lines" emotion.

That's exactly what went through my mind when I saw those gorgeous arenas. The thought of having to listen to that commentary nullifies the whole presentation high for me. I suppose they can be shut off yet again. Plus doing the same for Madden 10 improved that game's presentation by 500% for me.

baa7 08-27-2009 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie1967 (Post 2040090465)
WOW baa, did you just say that? You are hard on the player models if I remember so you must be really impressed.

Still not enough padding IMO in the same way the APF 2K8 players models are too thin -- it's a VC thing I guess. But the graphics are terrific. And like the videos, the players look as if they have weight and substance and aren't merely floating above the ice.

MizzouRah 08-27-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottdau (Post 2040089833)
It would suck, if the intro were only for the playoffs. But after thinking about it, it is OK. You still have the same lighting and that will make each arena look different!

No it's not ok and would really be a waste of making each unique intro. Why have all this presentation and then only see it in the playoffs?

MizzouRah 08-27-2009 08:59 AM

Re: NHL 2K10 Hands-On Preview (2KHockey)

One thing 2k has always had over EA's is the proportion of the players size to the rink size.. it looks perfect.

original6 08-27-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealmK (Post 2040091124)
Its a shame the commentary is going to drag the overall presentation down for me, I hope next year they actually make the effort to write a better play by play script and have Hahn and Remenda show a little more passion and less "reading lines" emotion. Otherwise though I have to give them credit for not only the arena's looking stunning but making an effort to get the lighting of various arenas down. Thats a really nice touch, hope the game plays as decent as it looks.

Wouldn't be an issue for me. I haven't listened to the commentary since 2k6. I go for that "at the game" experience, rather than "watching it on tv" one. To each their own though.

As great as the review sounds and the pics look, I won't be convinced of anything until I play a demo.

ezio 08-27-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by original6 (Post 2040094110)
Wouldn't be an issue for me. I haven't listened to the commentary since 2k6. I go for that "at the game" experience, rather than "watching it on tv" one. To each their own though.

As great as the review sounds and the pics look, I won't be convinced of anything until I play a demo.

I agree. Supposedly it will be out Sept. 1st. I will get the NHL Demo today and play that till the 2k one comes out and then decide. I did the same thing last year.

18 eighty 5 08-27-2009 07:41 PM

I love presentation too in hockey games. One of the things that I think is well over due and I am really happy to hear about is changing the lighting hues to match each arena. I agree with Scott that this will go a long way to making each game in each venue feel unique and will give the game extra life.

This thing bugs me about EA's game. The ice and arena's all feel the same no matter where you go, just painting team logos at center ice doesn't change or add much at all. So I am really happy to hear that 2k have chosen to work on this in their game. I think this addition works subtley to make the game feel organic and not generic presentation wise.

I really, really hope this gets released in Australia.

Eddie1967 08-27-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fierce Robot (Post 2040096069)
I love presentation too in hockey games. One of the things that I think is well over due and I am really happy to hear about is changing the lighting hues to match each arena. I agree with Scott that this will go a long way to making each game in each venue feel unique and will give the game extra life.

This thing bugs me about EA's game. The ice and arena's all feel the same no matter where you go, just painting team logos at center ice doesn't change or add much at all. So I am really happy to hear that 2k have chosen to work on this in their game. I think this addition works subtley to make the game feel organic and not generic presentation wise.

I really, really hope this gets released in Australia.

I agree, things like the lighting, arenas, etc. gives the game more life. That is the one area that holds me back from EA hockey. I don't understand why they won't improve this area and have true to life arena's.

MizzouRah 08-27-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie1967 (Post 2040096094)
I agree, things like the lighting, arenas, etc. gives the game more life. That is the one area that holds me back from EA hockey. I don't understand why they won't improve this area and have true to life arena's.

It's not that they "will not' improve that area, but like Redshirt has said, they only have so much $$$ to allocate to certain areas of improvement - and honestly, I'm glad they got the board play/game play right. I would be willing to bet EA focuses more on presentation next year. I do love the 3 starts of the game, the stanley cup celebration, etc..

2k spent alot of time on presentation and hopefully they also spent a great deal of time on game play and smoothness with respect to player movement.

I say this time and time again, those kick arse intros better be in franchise season games this year!

Eddie1967 08-27-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 2040096598)

I say this time and time again, those kick arse intros better be in franchise season games this year!

I'm sure they will be in franchise mode. Why would they go to all of that trouble to have actual game intros and not use them. Of course I understand the skepticism because of last year. That would be a major disappointment this time.

DJ 08-28-2009 12:58 AM

Wow! I'll hold off on official judgement until the demo but man, if this game delivers what's mentioned in this article, then hockey fans are in for a treat this year.

Those Whalers jerseys nearly brought a tear to my eye and the arenas look sick - in a good way :)

Uncle Stumpy 08-30-2009 07:56 AM

I haven't played 2k in a couple years. EA is still my game of choice for hockey (for now). Might actually have to play this game this year. Demo would be nice.

Nickflyers 08-30-2009 01:30 PM

damn sounds pretty awesome!! might have to get both for the first time since 06

bigmoe 08-30-2009 06:11 PM

Really interested in the camera angles this year. Play closer to the action could have me switch from EA.
'
'