Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Other Baseball Games (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Out of the Park Baseball 11 Review (/forums/showthread.php?t=409574)

RaychelSnr 04-12-2010 02:01 PM

Out of the Park Baseball 11 Review

Despite playing basically the same song over and over again, AC/DC remains one of the most popular rock bands ever. It would have been easy for Out of the Park Baseball to take an AC/DC-type career path, adding token features here and there and simply riding the wave of its past success with each subsequent new release.

Thankfully, unlike AC/DC, the OOTP developers remain hungry and do not continue to repeat the same exact formula with each release.

OOTP 11 is no exception. The latest version of the acclaimed baseball text sim features a revamped fielding engine, improvements to historical play and several other enhancements that collectively add up to another stellar and highly addictive game.

Read More - Out of the Park Baseball 11 Review

malachijohn666 04-12-2010 03:26 PM

well written. I too love ootp! Can't wait to get home and get my pre-order installed!

bluewave 04-12-2010 04:12 PM

Excellent review. Looking forward to buying my copy later this month!

budsticky 04-12-2010 05:01 PM

Between this game filling my desire for incredible depth and realism and The Show satisfying my needs for a graphical representation of the sport that is mostly realistic this will be a great summer for my baseball gaming. Now if we could somehow marry the two...that would be something!

Greene_Flash03 04-12-2010 07:31 PM

This is going to be my first year playing OOTP. I'm really excited! I played OOTP X, I fell inlove with it. Can't wait!

orion523 04-13-2010 12:27 AM

OOTP 11 is without a doubt the most accurate simulation of baseball available anywhere, if you're a hardcore baseball guy, YOU NEED THIS GAME

CowboyJayhawk 04-13-2010 01:05 AM

Thanks and very good review! I am still slightly miffed that refining a great product is rewarded in this review while penalized in the MLB '10 The Show review. Either way, they were written by different writers and I will enjoy both games regardless!

lgkeeper 04-13-2010 07:03 AM

Very good review - and an outstanding game. I've been playing OOTP for about 7 years now and I love this version so far....so much more to dive into though.

Cryolemon 04-13-2010 08:08 AM

Re: Out of the Park Baseball 11 Review

OOTP is always good, and this year is no exception, Markus and the crew do a fantastic job for a small company.

On the issue of graphics, I think it will happen eventually, maybe it will only be like the old Football Manager 2D engine, but that would be cool.

Tycobbler 04-13-2010 08:11 AM

Excellent read, i couldn't agree more !

Matt Diesel 04-13-2010 01:20 PM

Good review. With the mod packs the game is even better.

For a more true MLB experience, I suggest you guys add the all in one MLB mod. You can add this from within the game.

• Over 1,300 FaceGen-generated images for current MLB players. FaceGen image faces change based on player mood, age over time, and change uniforms and ballcaps when they switch teams (credit: Historical FaceGen Project Team)
  • Over 20,000 player photos, that cover almost every player in the database who doesn't have a FaceGen, including historical players
  • Real MLB and MiLB team and league logos
  • Day and night ballpark images, captured from MLB2k10 (credit: desertfox07)
  • Custom ballcaps and jerseys for each team

Installation Instructions - All Leagues
This mod has been made available through PadresFan's servers and <acronym title="Out of the Park Baseball">OOTP</acronym>'s in-game add-ons functionality, so downloading and installing it should be a snap!
  1. Load <acronym title="Out of the Park Baseball">OOTP</acronym> and load any saved game/start a new one. (it doesn't matter which one, you just have to be in a game to get to the Add-ons Central)
  2. Navigate to <acronym title="Out of the Park Baseball">OOTP</acronym> Menu >> Add-ons Central.
  3. Click on Reload Add-Ons List. You should now see PadresFan's server and some add-ons in the list.
  4. Click on the Download button next to H.F.P. 2010 MLB All-in-One (all leagues).
  5. Wait for the download to complete. The mod is over 200 MB in size, so it may take a few minutes. Don't worry if it looks like it's not doing anything - it is!
  6. When it is complete, click the Install button.
  7. When that is done, return to the <acronym title="Out of the Park Baseball">OOTP</acronym> Main screen, and click on New 2010 Major League Game. That's it! Your new game should have all of the above!

mattlanta 04-14-2010 03:21 AM

OS should have an OOTP league... but I think there's only like five or six guys here that actually play it.

CujoMatty 04-14-2010 05:13 AM

I think alot more people on here are getting into it. I had and would never have had heard of it if it wasn't for OS. I picked up ootp x about 2 months ago and am so addicted. I wonder if people shy away from it because it doesn't have MLB liscence and they don't have a clue what mods are or how they work. I'm fairly computer illeterate but there are so many helpfull ppl on the ootp site that applying the mods was actually quite simple and painless. Now I have a fully functioning MLB league that passes tons of hours. I also like the fact that you don't need much of a computer to run it. Nowadays I can't seem to keep up with technology luckily with ootp I don't need too. Well worth 40 bucks I'll be picking this game up every year.

Juiceman 04-14-2010 11:24 AM

I play OOTP, but never have done a league before. I'd consider an OS league if others were interested. I don't have the time to run the league, but I'd definitely consider being a team owner. My newborn has kept me from digging into 11 yet, but in comparison to 10 it seems good so far. I like the layout and the all in one mod pack was simple.

One note on the all in one mod pack: you for some reason have to start a league AFTER you install the pack or all the logos, etc will not be there. So, 1) create a league - doesn't matter the options since this will be a dummy league 2) download and install the all in one mod pack and 3) start a NEW league and this will be your league now and you'll have everything from the mod pack working. If you just stick in that first dummy created league the logos will not always load and it just doesn't work right. Hope this makes sense.

umd 04-14-2010 03:35 PM

This is a great game - I'm really enjoying it, so much so that I will probably hold off on buying The Show until this summer.

Thanks for the heads up on the mod-pack. I love how easy it is to find and install the mods.

As for an "OS League", there is an OOTP league that has a large amount of OSers and ex-OSers. It is called Brewers League Baseball and is currently running it's seasons as an OOTPX league. I'm guessing they will convert to 11 in due time.

The website is here:

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/?styleid=10

There's also a FOF league called the OSFL and a Bowl Bound League called the NCFA.

Matt Diesel 04-14-2010 04:14 PM

I tried to get an OS league together last year, but I had to go away unexpectedly for work and never followed through. I am down for trying a league this year and can help run and organize it. I have a server so there will be no problems with hosting the league files and whatnot. I guess we can try again.

Adam Czech 04-14-2010 04:34 PM

I don't have time to run a league, but I'd be up for joining, as long as I get dibs on the Twins:)

daz 04-14-2010 05:57 PM

I actually returned to the game after about a five year break. It's really a lot of fun. So many different aspect to explore. The FaceGen mod mentioned up above is the bomb too.

Whitesox 04-14-2010 06:48 PM

This is my first year purchasing and playing the full version of OOTP, loving it.

I'd also be really into an online league, someone should make a thread.

budsticky 04-14-2010 06:57 PM

I'd totally be down for a league if it's run by a good and reliable commish. Unfortunately I don't have time to be a commish, but I'll be a very active player.

My vote would actually be for a fictional league with a complete initial draft. This makes it more important to scout and build a team. With a league that mirrors MLB it will be just like real life..whoever gets the powerhouse teams will have the advantage right away.

ksig24 04-15-2010 01:04 AM

Question for you guys. Is there a way that you can make text files of the rosters that the game has including its minor leagues? I saw that it has current 2010 rosters as well as full minors. Is this true?

Matt Diesel 04-15-2010 12:03 PM

ksig24, there are options to export the database if that is what you are asking. did you need someone to do that for you? I know there is sql and csv xml and even spreadsheet, but I should be able to convert it to text if you wanted.

I vote for fictional as well with an inaugural draft. after all the real mlb dudes retire, people start losing interest in real leagues. fictional leagues go on for years.

ksig24 04-15-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Diesel (Post 2040959608)
ksig24, there are options to export the database if that is what you are asking. did you need someone to do that for you? I know there is sql and csv xml and even spreadsheet, but I should be able to convert it to text if you wanted.

I vote for fictional as well with an inaugural draft. after all the real mlb dudes retire, people start losing interest in real leagues. fictional leagues go on for years.

Sent you a PM Matt

jdiddyesquire 04-15-2010 05:20 PM

I would definitely do an OS league.

umd 04-15-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdiddyesquire (Post 2040960556)
I would definitely do an OS league.

yep, me too. If it was fictional that is.

tuberide 04-16-2010 09:45 AM

There are a bunch of Online Leagues here: http://allsimbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&catid= 2&id=2&Itemid=31

You have to check what version they are using though.

bvb24 04-16-2010 03:26 PM

I've just started playing the demo for 10 but will be purchasing 11 soon. How many people are you looking to get in this league?

thaima1shu 04-16-2010 03:53 PM

I'm not planning on buying 11 for a while, but if we do get a league up and running, I am absolutely in. I was part of the few guys who were up for a league last year, but it never did get running as mentioned.

DETROITROB 04-20-2010 02:17 PM

what a true baseball fans dream. this game is so deep and extensive it took me awhile to just know where most everythings located. I dont see myself boring of this game all year. I would definitely be interested in joining an online league. WELL worth the $40..been splitting my time in playing OOTP11 and Show 10.

bcruise 04-20-2010 07:36 PM

Question for you guys:

The only way I've ever really played OOTP was with Fictional leagues, so I was wondering if there's been enough new changes in that department to warrant getting the new one. The last one I bought was OOTP9, so any changes that came along in '10 would apply also.

Whitesox 04-20-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcruise (Post 2040977240)
Question for you guys:

The only way I've ever really played OOTP was with Fictional leagues, so I was wondering if there's been enough new changes in that department to warrant getting the new one. The last one I bought was OOTP9, so any changes that came along in '10 would apply also.

I've never purchased OOTP, so correct me if I'm wrong.

First you have the ability to dynamically evolve your league. This means you can manually create an expansion team, or change the league rules. You can change the schedule length, playoffs, ballpark dimensions, etc.

You have the ability to create custom playoffs, which I believe is new. I remember playing the demo of 9 I think and I didn't like the way the playoffs were set. You can fix that.

The new drafting additions come into play when you start with the fantasy draft. You have to manage your budget while creating the best team you can.

You pretty much have control over anything you want. It's awesome.

Juiceman612 04-20-2010 11:42 PM

Just the interface changes alone from 9 to 10 and 10 to 11 warrant buying 11. Buy it. You will not regret it.

Yasko 04-21-2010 10:20 AM

Juiceman612, are you the same Juiceman that does the great car setups for sim racing?

OOTP is awesome. I like the baseball sim so much, that I bought their Boxing sim just because I was so happy with the way the game lays out. Now if I'm looking for a football sim of the same quality.

Peji911 04-28-2010 10:39 AM

I know the season has just started but some moves have been made not present in the rosters... so where do I find an updated database?

Further, I cant figure out how to update my rosters PRIOR to starting a game. Is it even possible? I wish this game had an editor resembling Football Manager -- that way you edit EVERYTHING in a special program meaning more preciseness, and incorporate that database into the game..

Kind Regards

sonn 04-29-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peji911 (Post 2041006444)
I know the season has just started but some moves have been made not present in the rosters... so where do I find an updated database?

Further, I cant figure out how to update my rosters PRIOR to starting a game. Is it even possible? I wish this game had an editor resembling Football Manager -- that way you edit EVERYTHING in a special program meaning more preciseness, and incorporate that database into the game..

Kind Regards

Start a game in Commissioner Mode then you can make the changes you want before you start playing the game. You could also save it as a quickstart so you don't have to make the same changes all the time, I did that when I added a NCAA feeder league.

Yasko 05-10-2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Diesel (Post 2040953007)
Good review. With the mod packs the game is even better.

For a more true MLB experience, I suggest you guys add the all in one MLB mod. You can add this from within the game.

• Over 1,300 FaceGen-generated images for current MLB players. FaceGen image faces change based on player mood, age over time, and change uniforms and ballcaps when they switch teams (credit: Historical FaceGen Project Team)
  • Over 20,000 player photos, that cover almost every player in the database who doesn't have a FaceGen, including historical players
  • Real MLB and MiLB team and league logos
  • Day and night ballpark images, captured from MLB2k10 (credit: desertfox07)
  • Custom ballcaps and jerseys for each team

Installation Instructions - All Leagues
This mod has been made available through PadresFan's servers and <acronym title="Out of the Park Baseball">OOTP</acronym>'s in-game add-ons functionality, so downloading and installing it should be a snap!
  1. Load <acronym title="Out of the Park Baseball">OOTP</acronym> and load any saved game/start a new one. (it doesn't matter which one, you just have to be in a game to get to the Add-ons Central)
  2. Navigate to <acronym title="Out of the Park Baseball">OOTP</acronym> Menu >> Add-ons Central.
  3. Click on Reload Add-Ons List. You should now see PadresFan's server and some add-ons in the list.
  4. Click on the Download button next to H.F.P. 2010 MLB All-in-One (all leagues).
  5. Wait for the download to complete. The mod is over 200 MB in size, so it may take a few minutes. Don't worry if it looks like it's not doing anything - it is!
  6. When it is complete, click the Install button.
  7. When that is done, return to the <acronym title="Out of the Park Baseball">OOTP</acronym> Main screen, and click on New 2010 Major League Game. That's it! Your new game should have all of the above!

Are there any other mods as great as this one for OOTP?:y220:

steve19421945 11-02-2010 02:14 AM

Hello, I am looking for a realistic computer baseball game , computer or console, that would allow me to play a fantasy league as a general manager with 2010 MLB real player ratings as well as limiting player playing time to real life 2010 MLB games played. I do not want random injuries, only those that actually happened in 2010. Can baseball mogul or Out of the park 11 or another game do this with a fantasy league? Please help!!!!

CarryTheWeight 11-11-2010 07:15 PM

First of all, I love the OOTP series and recently bought OOTP 11 on a whim one night. I usually create a "baseball universe" that includes full Majors, minors, college, high school, Japanese, Cuban and a few "oddball leagues" (a Macedonian professional baseball league where the salary ceiling is only $100,000 and player stats are the equivalent of 1970's era baseball, and a European Baseball League, which has every major European nation playing a short 32 game campaign. May come up with a creative playoff series for that if possible).

I personally love fictional leagues. It may be confusing at first but once real "stars" emerge, tracking their careers (and the progress of teams) is unlike anything else in gaming today. OOTP has always been amazing in that regard and 11 is nothing different.

I'm yet to find out all the "little things" the game has going for it (after overplaying the free version of OOTP8 I've barely scratched the surface of 11) so I'm keeping my eyes peeled. But as of right now, definitely the best in the series. Tons of depth and a hell of a lot of fun.

mlblover15 11-30-2010 08:39 PM

hey all, since i dont have a ps3 anymore (stolen) and im aching to play some ball, im considering getting this game. i have purchased the other sim text game several years ago and quickly got bored with it and quit playing it within days of installing it. what makes ootp better or more fun to play than the other text base offering?

snepp 12-01-2010 05:39 PM

OOTP has a demo available, that would probably be enough to let you know.