Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   MLB 11 The Show - Analog Hitting/Pitching Miscellaneous Tips (/forums/showthread.php?t=471164)

Brian SCEA 03-02-2011 12:52 PM

MLB 11 The Show - Analog Hitting/Pitching Miscellaneous Tips

Just FYI:

Analog Hitting
There is a contact and power bonus/penalty for your stride timing (when you pull back). To practice, you can turn the PCI on. When you stride perfectly (about when the ball is released), the PCI grows slightly to reflect the bonus. When your stride is off it'll shrink, and if you simply stride before the windup the maximum penalty applies.

Your swing timing (when you push forward) is still the most important, but having both timings matter makes it harder to time your swing and may also change your swing strategy. If your stride timing is bad enough (and high enough priority to mention), the swing analysis will show it.

Analog Pitching
As always, pitcher ability and pitch type affect the difficulty of locating pitches. The perfect release timing varies for each pitcher and between the windup and stretch deliveries.

As detailed in the strategy guide, you can always see your release timing in the pitcher/batter analysis tool (press select and then L1/R1). Switch to the 'Meter Timing' filter and each pitch will be labeled with its release timing.

In online games, your opponent doesn't see your meter. In local 2P games on one machine, the meter doesn't show the left/right result.

Heading out of town now, have fun!

Update
The perfect stride timing is based on time to plate, so for example knuckleballs and changeups have different stride timing. The PCI's bonus/penalty size change is not immediate but stretched over time.

Analog hitting has the power/contact/normal swing functionality. The in-game strategy guide goes into detail on the differences between these three.

When the batter doesn't swing, you get pitch info instead of swing analysis. The release timing text is for the pitcher's pitch release and not the batter. So in single player, it's telling you the CPU's timing on the meter. It works in 2P as well.

Flightwhite24 03-02-2011 12:55 PM

Re: Analog hitting/pitching miscellaneous tips

Good stuff right here. Thanks Brian

nemesis04 03-02-2011 01:02 PM

Thanks Brian! Enjoy your time off!

vln13 03-02-2011 01:08 PM

Thanks, as always!

Shakedowncapo 03-02-2011 01:08 PM

What happens with knuckleballers? Don't players usually stride later in relation to staying back on the ball?

Tommyklaid 03-02-2011 01:36 PM

Some good stuff right there! :y220b:

DEVS coming in to the forum to "expand explanation" on the new analog system? ?

Wow! :nchuck:

RGmoney 03-02-2011 01:58 PM

Good info here. Thanks Brian.

NAFBUC 03-02-2011 02:03 PM

Thanks. Always can use some hitting tips.

SFGposey 03-02-2011 02:44 PM

does any 1 know if it matters if you it power swing or contact swing when using analog controls?

Antec 03-02-2011 03:02 PM

Re: MLB 11 The Show - Analog Hitting/Pitching Miscellaneous Tips

It does. You can tell by looking at the swing analysis after the swing. Power Swing's PCI is tiny while Contact swing's is huge.

Do you have to start the stride based on the batter's individual style or is it always when the Pitcher is releasing the ball? For example Buster Posey's swing takes forever.

I'm starting his when the pitcher raises his leg but I struggle horribly with Posey.

nyyanksrdbest 03-02-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antec (Post 2042168235)
It does. You can tell by looking at the swing analysis after the swing. Power Swing's PCI is tiny while Contact swing's is huge.

Do you have to start the stride based on the batter's individual style or is it always when the Pitcher is releasing the ball? For example Buster Posey's swing takes forever.

I'm starting his when the pitcher raises his leg but I struggle horribly with Posey.

Does pressing X or O or Square pre-pitch matter if you're using analog control, or does it go just based on how you swing the bat?

nyyanksrdbest 03-02-2011 07:15 PM

Sorry Antec, didn't mean to quote you on that.

sbmnky 03-02-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antec (Post 2042168235)

I think that's way too early to start you swing. I start all my batter pretty much the same - right before or during the release of the pitch from the pitcher's hand.

I will keep my eye focused on the pitcher's hat and when he's about half way through his windup I shift my eyes to look in the zone of where's he's going to be releasing the pitch. Once I see the the ball in his hand within that zone is when I start my pre-load (push down on the RS). Even if I take a pitch, I will release the RS so I can see how my stride timing is. I'm usually 'Normal' or 'Perfect' on AS & HoF (haven't tried Legend yet).

I recommend taking an inning or two and just watching pitching and practicing your RS movement/timing. This really helped me get feel for each batter and I am not of the opinion that there is a HUGE difference in timing between a guy like Torres and Posey. There is a slight difference, but it's not seconds different, IMO. I think hitting is very much feel based this year which I love - especially when batting with guys who have a fluid movement pre-pitch.

Hope that helps.

brezz2001 03-02-2011 09:48 PM

Can someone help explain to me how to use the post-pitch swing analysis? There is contact and timing, does timing have to do with pushing back on the stick and contact have to do with pushing forward? Or am I just overthinking it?

Brian

I_Love_Piazza 03-02-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brezz2001 (Post 2042169658)
Can someone help explain to me how to use the post-pitch swing analysis? There is contact and timing, does timing have to do with pushing back on the stick and contact have to do with pushing forward? Or am I just overthinking it?

Brian

When you don't swing, the "release" is telling you how well you timed the pushing back on teh stick. When you do swing, the "release" and "timing" are telling you the whole result of your swing, so it factors in the push back and the push forward.

I've figured out that no matter what kind of stride or leg kick a guy has, it's good to just pull back around the same time as the pitcher releases the ball. It's pretty simple once you realize that.

I have been using contact swing like crazy (pressing O before the pitch) when I have two strikes. I got Wilson to throw 65 pitches in 4 innings and Lincecum to throw 102 pitches in 6 innings.

sbmnky 03-02-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_Love_Piazza (Post 2042169670)
When you don't swing, the "release" is telling you how well you timed the pushing back on teh stick. When you do swing, the "release" and "timing" are telling you the whole result of your swing, so it factors in the push back and the push forward.

I've figured out that no matter what kind of stride or leg kick a guy has, it's good to just pull back around the same time as the pitcher releases the ball. It's pretty simple once you realize that.

I have been using contact swing like crazy (pressing O before the pitch) when I have two strikes. I got Wilson to throw 65 pitches in 4 innings and Lincecum to throw 102 pitches in 6 innings.

This is a definitely helps increase pitch counts and helps foul off borderline pitches.

Phillies2010 03-03-2011 12:51 AM

very useful thanks alot

thx1113 03-03-2011 04:57 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry for doubting you, but have we had any confirmation that this is really what's going on? I was under the impression that the "release" information if you didn't swing was referring to the pitchers' release.

You may well be right, and I hope you are, as that information would be very useful, but I'd really like to see a dev confirm or deny what's going on there.

PsychoBulk 03-03-2011 05:22 AM

I think thx is right...even on timing on hitting, if you dont swing it will give you a release information...its how well the CPU pitcher hit his line, nothing to do with the batter.

To clarify, if you dont swing the release info is the CPU pitchers timing, if you do, its your swing timing.

brezz2001 03-03-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoBulk (Post 2042170461)
I think thx is right...even on timing on hitting, if you dont swing it will give you a release information...its how well the CPU pitcher hit his line, nothing to do with the batter.

To clarify, if you dont swing the release info is the CPU pitchers timing, if you do, its your swing timing.

Even against the CPU? It seems strange that they would want to tell us that the CPU pitcher had good timing when releasing his pitch.

Brian

nyyanksrdbest 03-03-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbmnky (Post 2042169851)
This is a definitely helps increase pitch counts and helps foul off borderline pitches.

As I asked though, is there any point of pressing O for Contact or square for power pre-pitch if you're using the analog controls? (or the right joystick simply)?

davewins 03-03-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

I'm not so sure this is true. I have pulled back super early just to test it and it said late. It seems pretty random to me. It could be that it is meant to do what you are saying and it's just buggy I don't know.

Did you get confirmation on this from any dev's?

davewins 03-03-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyyanksrdbest (Post 2042170528)
As I asked though, is there any point of pressing O for Contact or square for power pre-pitch if you're using the analog controls? (or the right joystick simply)?

Yes by pressing O pre-pitch you will attempt a contact swing. X for contact, and square for power. It defaults to contact swing so you don't have to keep pressing x if that's what you normally use.

davewins 03-03-2011 09:26 AM

Yeah I would definitely like to get confirmation on these two things. Maybe Russell can jump in if he's still around.

I really think Pyscho is correct about the pitcher release information. I haven't tried it but I guess you said even if you don't stride it still gives information if you pull up the swing analysis. I do agree with Brezzer in the fact that it's really odd that we get to know how well the CPU timed its pitch. Strange.

The other big thing is different player stride timing. Does the system actually take into effect the graphics of the player's stride foot landing for perfect timing or is it more of a timing based algorithm with the right analog stick. In simpler terms: Do you stride right before the pitcher releases the ball REGARDLESS of the individual player's stride?

davewins 03-03-2011 09:29 AM

Sorry for my consecutive posts but I think doing what Brian said is the best way to test the stride time for different players. Turn the PCI on is the best way because you can see the big yellow circle at all times and can judge if it got smaller without even swinging.

Pared 03-03-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbmnky (Post 2042169230)
I think that's way too early to start you swing. I start all my batter pretty much the same - right before or during the release of the pitch from the pitcher's hand.

I will keep my eye focused on the pitcher's hat and when he's about half way through his windup I shift my eyes to look in the zone of where's he's going to be releasing the pitch. Once I see the the ball in his hand within that zone is when I start my pre-load (push down on the RS). Even if I take a pitch, I will release the RS so I can see how my stride timing is. I'm usually 'Normal' or 'Perfect' on AS & HoF (haven't tried Legend yet).

I recommend taking an inning or two and just watching pitching and practicing your RS movement/timing. This really helped me get feel for each batter and I am not of the opinion that there is a HUGE difference in timing between a guy like Torres and Posey. There is a slight difference, but it's not seconds different, IMO. I think hitting is very much feel based this year which I love - especially when batting with guys who have a fluid movement pre-pitch.

Hope that helps.

Good post sb.

Thanks for posting this Brian. It should certainly help guys here!

davewins 03-03-2011 09:57 AM

Ok guys, I just did what Brian said. I turned the PCI on and checked when it got smaller. Hamilton has a long stride. I timed it so his foot would come down right as the pitch crosses the plate and it got smaller. I then timed it right before the pitcher released the ball and it stayed the same so I can definitely tell you to ignore the stride length of different individual players. I just tried it with Posey (probably longest stride time in demo) and the same thing. The PCI shrunk when I timed it early like I was timing it before with him. For all players you must time it the same. I am glad it's this way because it was very hard for me to hold the stick back for so long with Posey and Hamilton. The stats I'm sure showed too because I hit horrible with them.

HeyYoCraig 03-03-2011 10:33 AM

I had a revelation the other day. If anyone is having trouble recognizing pitches and often swinging at horrible pitches out of the zone, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend switching the batting view to catcher 4. It has changed the way I play the game haha

davewins 03-03-2011 10:48 AM

What has helped me the most is just being patient. Plain and simple. How can you be patient? Go an entire game just taking all pitches. I am serious. Go a game just striding and taking all pitches. Get an idea what a good pitch looks like out of the pitcher's hand. Practice with the same camera angle. Don't jump around camera angles because the pitches look different.

After doing that keep the mental attitude on the following points:

- It is OK to look at strike three
- I will swing at pitches that I like
- I will NOT swing at pitches just because they are strikes

Basically what you have to start doing is not playing the game of not letting the umpire call a strike. I am very guilty of this. In my at bats I will basically be protecting the plate even with 0 strikes on me! I want to swing at anything that is called a strike. That is WRONG. There are pitcher's pitches that are strikes and are VERY hard to hit. You need to learn to lay off them. Let's say a slider that hits the outside corner. You know it's going to be a strike. Don't even swing at it. Only swing at pitches you know you can hit well. Learn your strengths and weaknesses.

On legend I am hitting very good now. I am still striking out a little too often but that will lower in time. You have to have the right mental approach first. The skill will come after because if you swing at junk the CPU will continue to throw junk and you will dig yourself in a deeper hole. You must learn to be patient and recognize pitches you can hit. Then it will only get easier!

matthewk 03-03-2011 11:07 AM

Um, what's PCI? Is that the big semi-transparent egg-shaped thing in the strike zone?

Also, does the left stick do anything for analog hitting? Can you tell the batter to reach for low and outside pitch, or do they just do that by themselves? I would like to be able to control where in the zone I'm swinging.

davewins 03-03-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewk (Post 2042170861)
Um, what's PCI? Is that the big semi-transparent egg-shaped thing in the strike zone?

Also, does the left stick do anything for analog hitting? Can you tell the batter to reach for low and outside pitch, or do they just do that by themselves? I would like to be able to control where in the zone I'm swinging.

Yes the PCI is the light yellow transparent thing in the strike zone.

No you can not use the left analog stick to control the PCI in analog hitting. You control the PCI by moving the right analog stick in the direction of the pitch. High/low is determined by timing and player attributes.

Plaz44 03-03-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davewins (Post 2042170715)
Ok guys, I just did what Brian said. I turned the PCI on and checked when it got smaller. Hamilton has a long stride. I timed it so his foot would come down right as the pitch crosses the plate and it got smaller. I then timed it right before the pitcher released the ball and it stayed the same so I can definitely tell you to ignore the stride length of different individual players. I just tried it with Posey (probably longest stride time in demo) and the same thing. The PCI shrunk when I timed it early like I was timing it before with him. For all players you must time it the same. I am glad it's this way because it was very hard for me to hold the stick back for so long with Posey and Hamilton. The stats I'm sure showed too because I hit horrible with them.

I wish it was the other way. I like the idea where each batters stride would decide the timing not the same release point of the pitch. I will have to try this tonight myself.

davewins 03-03-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz44 (Post 2042171048)
I wish it was the other way. I like the idea where each batters stride would decide the timing not the same release point of the pitch. I will have to try this tonight myself.

I don't because it's too hard to get used to other player's strides. Imagine Josh Hamilton having to try out different strides every single time he went to the plate. It's hard enough to concentrate on hitting as it is. Having to try different strides just makes it more difficult IMO.

brezz2001 03-03-2011 10:00 PM

I'm having trouble right now with my timing. I swing early on the offspeed pitches way too much. It's so hard to wait on those pitches because I want to swing forward as soon as I make my stride.

Brian

Visionsofmastery 03-04-2011 12:33 AM

In online games, your opponent doesn't see your meter. In local 2P games on one machine, the meter doesn't show the left/right result.

Does this finally mean I can throw the fastball and control is how I want even is he guesses? Or are we still like the last few years where someone can guess fastball every pitch and like JEDI mind trick make my pitching meter go away so I can't control it? :brickwall

Brian SCEA 03-04-2011 04:09 AM

The perfect stride timing is based on time to plate, so knuckleballs and even changeups have different timing.

Analog hitting has the power/contact/normal swing functionality. The in-game strategy guide goes into detail on the differences between these three.

When the batter doesn't swing, you get pitch info instead of swing analysis. The release timing text is for the pitcher's pitch release and not the batter. So in single player, it's telling you the CPU's timing on the meter. It works in 2P as well.

I'll add this info to the original post!

Visionsofmastery 03-04-2011 04:13 AM

Okay so the opponet does not see my meter so that also helps with me hitting now that I don't have to zone out that meter right where my hitting window is :D Good deal

but how about the JEDI control issue. The feature I am talking about is if the hitter guesses fastball the pitcher online loses his control of the pitch and has to guess the release point? is that finally fixed.

This was the only turn off I ever had for the show, as in baseball you can guess fastball all you want I still get my chance as a pitcher to place it where I want :D

thx1113 03-04-2011 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian SCEA (Post 2042173514)

So my suspicions were correct! :)

Thanks for clarifying this.

Brian SCEA 03-04-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visionsofmastery (Post 2042173518)
but how about the JEDI control issue. The feature I am talking about is if the hitter guesses fastball the pitcher online loses his control of the pitch and has to guess the release point? is that finally fixed.

This was the only turn off I ever had for the show, as in baseball you can guess fastball all you want I still get my chance as a pitcher to place it where I want :D

In the in-game strategy guide, it explains that if the pitcher maintains control of the pitch in this situation he can spoil it by purposely throwing it way out of the strike zone to make a lockon unhittable. It also would allow someone to correctly guess a pitch low and yet it's a high pitch because the pitcher (intentional or not) underthrew it. Guess pitch can't exist if the pitcher had control in that situation.

Visionsofmastery 03-04-2011 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian SCEA (Post 2042173531)
In the in-game strategy guide, it explains that if the pitcher maintains control of the pitch in this situation he can spoil it by purposely throwing it way out of the strike zone to make a lockon unhittable. It also would allow someone to correctly guess a pitch low and yet it's a high pitch because the pitcher (intentional or not) underthrew it. Guess pitch can't exist if the pitcher had control in that situation.

Okay Now I am even more confused lol
My question is when the hitter uses guess pitch and guesses correctly "via most of the time fastball" the pitcher who is pitching online will not see his release point meter " he has to guess"

This is what I am asking is it now like real baseball where even though the hitter guesses nothing changes for the pictcher to be able to see his release point pitch meter and make his pitch.

Sorry for the confusion

If you ever played online you know most players will guess fastball so that you can't control the the location you want to throw because the meter is gone you have to guess the timing. To offset that I just threw 2 seam and cutters sinkers until I was up in the count and then used the agressive nature on 0-1 1-2 2-2 counts to throw the ball from the get go off the plate.

If that feature is finally removed I will finally be able to pitch how I want no matter what :D