Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Golf (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Broadcast Presentation Blog (/forums/showthread.php?t=605130)

DivotMaker 02-13-2013 05:12 PM

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Broadcast Presentation Blog

Christian Brandt, designer for Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 has posted a broadcast presentation blog detailing some of the improvements that will be seen in the game.

Quote:

Some of the improvements we've made include in-game statistical updates, new tournament introductions and branding (including all four majors!), a new broadcast camera setting, time of day, new major specific tournament structures, and updated commentary from Jim Nantz and David Feherty.

He also talks about the new and improved camera angles.

Quote:

As if that's not enough, we've also added a new Broadcast Camera setting that can be turned on in the Presentation Settings. We have over 3,3000 new cameras that were placed after our team did extensive research on where camera are placed on real world golf courses and how they track the ball through the air.

You will see all-new blimp views, fairway cameras, green tower and greenside views, close ups, reverse angles, different spectator swing angles, and many more. If you prefer the classic Tiger follow ball camera, it still functions as the default camera mode. But if you want to get the full broadcast experience, I would recommend the Broadcast cameras.

Source - Dev Blog: Broadcast Presentation (EA Sports)

Flightwhite24 02-13-2013 05:18 PM

Re: Tiger Woods 14 TV Broadcast Presentation Blog

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivotMaker (Post 2044710211)
The new TV Broadcast Presentation Blog is out for TW14.....

http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/...sentation-blog

:headbang2:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

The way this game is shaping up I might break my New Years Resolution on getting games early and being patient for release day but TW14 might make me cave.

fishepa 02-13-2013 05:33 PM

I love what I'm hearing. I would have also like to see some screens of the new presentation cameras.

Lieutenant Dan 02-13-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivotMaker (Post 2044710211)
The new TV Broadcast Presentation Blog is out for TW14.....

http://www.easports.com/tiger-woods/...sentation-blog

Thank you, Divot! :smile:

Liking it very much, the stat tracking will feel a bit more 'alive' out there. Can't wait to see the cameras in action.

OnlookerDelay 02-13-2013 06:33 PM

WOW!! This is absolutely stunning... it looks like they've gone beyond what I expected with this! I might even finish an offline career mode season with this sort of atmosphere and presence!!

ODogg 02-13-2013 07:09 PM

Are they finally going to have courses in Autumn with fall foliage? Been waiting for years for that, something Links had back in the 90's by the way..

Matt10 02-13-2013 07:16 PM

Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Broadcast Presentation Blog

WOW!! This is absolutely fantastic - just stunning and informative. So much like a real golf viewing on TV. I am getting this game ASAP. I hope Madden and NCAA take note of what ways to hype us up - for the right reasons!

DivotMaker 02-13-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODogg (Post 2044710522)
Are they finally going to have courses in Autumn with fall foliage? Been waiting for years for that, something Links had back in the 90's by the way..

With the current limitations on the 360 DVD, I don't think you will see this until the next gen of consoles. On top of this, the majority OG the PGA TOUR season is played before Autumn, so there has not been any push or requests for such features. However, if enough users request features like this, the TW Devs have been listening to user feedback and implementing a number of these features requested by the community.

Hollywood88 02-13-2013 09:53 PM

Well, there goes my dream that EA would go all the way and make sure that the correct courses at least for 2013 would go along with the majors. That picture just gave away my dissapointment.

WhiteMan22 02-13-2013 10:23 PM

Everything is sounding great.

OnlookerDelay 02-13-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood88 (Post 2044710946)
Well, there goes my dream that EA would go all the way and make sure that the correct courses at least for 2013 would go along with the majors. That picture just gave away my dissapointment.

I understand your frustration Hollywood88, but we have to realize that there are some clubs that aren't going to agree to have their courses recreated and licensed for use in a video golf game at any cost, let alone a reasonable cost. From what I've read, EA Sports has done all they can do - within reason - to make it happen.

cdawg44 02-13-2013 11:23 PM

Whoa.....................

Yea, this is going to be fun this year. I can't wait.

OnlookerDelay 02-13-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdawg44 (Post 2044711205)
Whoa.....................

Yea, this is going to be fun this year. I can't wait.

I agree and I don't think any of us - myself included - realize how much this Broadcast Presentation is going to invigorate not only Live Tournament play, but this new 'Connected Tournament' play, however it's going to feel like a different game in a positive way, IMO!

Hollywood88 02-14-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay (Post 2044711188)
I understand your frustration Hollywood88, but we have to realize that there are some clubs that aren't going to agree to have their courses recreated and licensed for use in a video golf game at any cost, let alone a reasonable cost. From what I've read, EA Sports has done all they can do - within reason - to make it happen.

OnlookerDelay, where did you read this? Is it recorded somewhere which courses turned down EA Sports? And do we even know which courses are included in this years game. I'm shocked it has yet to make it out onto the internet. I'm thinking it's delayed because they want to get as much pub as possible about having the 4 majors in the game and if people knew the real courses for the 2013 majors were not in the game, people would react negatively.

ILiveForThis 02-14-2013 02:15 AM

Can't wait. March is shaping up to be a great month.

Dazraz 02-14-2013 05:53 AM

This has got me really fired up for TW14. The series has refined the game wonderfully over the last few iterations but this is something I've been wanting for a long while. Having all this presentation in a Quick Tournament mode too is great news as I've never had the time to invest in the Career Mode.

DivotMaker 02-14-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood88 (Post 2044711412)
OnlookerDelay, where did you read this? Is it recorded somewhere which courses turned down EA Sports? And do we even know which courses are included in this years game. I'm shocked it has yet to make it out onto the internet. I'm thinking it's delayed because they want to get as much pub as possible about having the 4 majors in the game and if people knew the real courses for the 2013 majors were not in the game, people would react negatively.

This has been reported on the EA Tiger forums by the Executive Producer for TW14. EA has secured the licenses for all 4 Major tournaments but those licenses do not include licenses for the courses that the events are played on that year. EA has tried to negotiate a license with all 4 Major courses and two of them were not interested in having their courses appear in the game. Users here and in the EA Tiger forums have heard the news and while it is not the best news, it is not dampening the enthusiasm of too many folks.

fishepa 02-14-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODogg (Post 2044710522)

Firestone in Autumn was awesome back in the day on Links 386.

cdawg44 02-14-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivotMaker (Post 2044711652)
This has been reported on the EA Tiger forums by the Executive Producer for TW14. EA has secured the licenses for all 4 Major tournaments but those licenses do not include licenses for the courses that the events are played on that year. EA has tried to negotiate a license with all 4 Major courses and two of them were not interested in having their courses appear in the game. Users here and in the EA Tiger forums have heard the news and while it is not the best news, it is not dampening the enthusiasm of too many folks.

Yea, no Merion or Murfield stinks but here is the good news. There will be a number of years where we get every correct course for every major. We will have Augusta, and Every PGA Championship course has made it in since Tiger 10 (The next two are Valhalla and Whistling Straits which are already in). The next 3 US open courses will be: Pinehurst (already in), Chambers Bay (a public course, so a likely inclusion) and Oakmont (already in). For the Open Championship, 5 of the 9 couses in the current rotation have appeared in Tiger games (St Andrews, Birkdale, Turnberry, Carnoustie, Troon) with all but Birkdale being in Scotland. Since the Open rotates between England and Scotland every year, we will have the Open Championship course in the game half of the time.

2014- Augusta, Pinehurst, Royal Liverpool (?), Valhalla
2015- Augusta, Chambers Bay, St. Andrews, Whistling Straits

There are just some courses that flat refuse to have their course in this game. I am sure Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Baltusrol, Brookline, Olympic, and Medinah will probably never allow it for various reasons no matter the price. Heck, some of these clubs were considering not to allow majors to be played on them anymore because of the damage done to the courses.

The fact that we got all four licenses in was a huge win and along with the new presentation package, this is a major upgrade over wha we had. Career mode should be blast and so much more replay value going forward.

Panicshade 02-14-2013 11:40 AM

Maybe once the "next gen" consoles are out and we see what can be done with them there can be a Course Designer for future TW games that will make a lot of the "I am upset that (insert course here) didn't make it" arguments almost meaningless. I am sure there are people here at OS or elsewhere that could design almost exact replicas of courses if given the right time and tools.

cdawg44 02-14-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panicshade (Post 2044712098)
Maybe once the "next gen" consoles are out and we see what can be done with them there can be a Course Designer for future TW games that will make a lot of the "I am upset that (insert course here) didn't make it" arguments almost meaningless. I am sure there are people here at OS or elsewhere that could design almost exact replicas of courses if given the right time and tools.

Oh I'm sure of it. There are some amazing people on this forum that can do some great things with a course editor.

jbd345 02-14-2013 04:42 PM

Awesome news!! Can't wait to see a video showing it off. Interested in the blimp cam as well.

OnlookerDelay 02-14-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivotMaker (Post 2044711652)

Thanks for answering Hollywood's question Tim. I couldn't remember whether it was Sean or not.

statum71 02-14-2013 07:49 PM

I said I was done with golf because of lack of TV presentation. Maybe I'll give this one a shot one last time.

I'm probably the biggest fan there is to TV-style presentation.

Rules 02-14-2013 08:10 PM

I hate you EA!!!

Here take my money!

poster 02-16-2013 01:19 PM

Divot or anyone else that may know. What happens presentation wise when the featured pairing is you in your career vs a golfer that is not licensed to be in the game?

An example would be that you are tied atop the leaderboard alone with Phil, going into the final round. Do they even show the overlay, or do they put a dummy picture up for Phil or any that golfer in that situation?

This is an improvement though, so kudos to them for that. Just hope it really shows in career mode on a consistent basis.

Seymour Scagnetti 02-16-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poster (Post 2044718018)
Divot or anyone else that may know. What happens presentation wise when the featured pairing is you in your career vs a golfer that is not licensed to be in the game?

An example would be that you are tied atop the leaderboard alone with Phil, going into the final round. Do they even show the overlay, or do they put a dummy picture up for Phil or any that golfer in that situation?

This is an improvement though, so kudos to them for that. Just hope it really shows in career mode on a consistent basis.

From what I could gather, I think this featured pairing only applies to the play now mode and not the career mode. A one round tourney mode with AI leader board and all the tourney presentation elements has now replaced the standard Play now mode so you basically recreate playing the 4th round with all the bells and whistles.

So I assume you could play with or as a licensed golfer in the game only where you both are starting at even par and go thru that one round with the same broadcast tourney set up you would have in career. Its a good feature if you are playing with a couple of pals at home and want the glitz added of playing multi player for one round.

poster 02-16-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti (Post 2044718084)
From what I could gather, I think this featured pairing only applies to the play now mode and not the career mode. A one round tourney mode with AI leader board and all the tourney presentation elements has now replaced the standard Play now mode so you basically recreate playing the 4th round with all the bells and whistles.

So I assume you could play with or as a licensed golfer in the game only where you both are starting at even par and go thru that one round with the same broadcast tourney set up you would have in career. Its a good feature if you are playing with a couple of pals at home and want the glitz added of playing multi player for one round.

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Hope there is still a career mode blog coming up. :)

Seymour Scagnetti 02-16-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poster (Post 2044719065)
Interesting, thanks for the reply. Hope there is still a career mode blog coming up. :)

I haven't heard much buzz concerning career mode yet. Probably this beefed up presentation and comprehensive stats will be the main improvement which is welcome considering how bland career mode has been the last few years. I'm hoping there is a season mode where you can play as a pro or use multiple CAGS in the same season but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

We do need a more involving dynamic in career mode where you start off as an amateur, play a full Nationwide schedule with standings and qualify properly and then hit the PGA tour, right now all we really get is play X number of events as an amateur and Nationwide tour and then move to the PGA tour regardless of how well you do.

Deetrain1040 02-17-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statum71 (Post 2044713555)
I said I was done with golf because of lack of TV presentation. Maybe I'll give this one a shot one last time.

I'm probably the biggest fan there is to TV-style presentation.

Nope I've got ya beat. All of my gamer friends know me as being the BIGGEST fan of TV style presentation in ANY sports game. I thrive on that stuff. The gameplay could be crap. As long as I feel like it's on TV I'm in heaven. NCAA Basketball 10 was a good example. Horrible game play and freezing issues, but I continued to play it due to the great TV style presentation.

rolltide1017 02-18-2013 06:02 PM

Has there been any hints about a playoff being added for when you are tied after 4 rounds, or will the AI just give you the win regardless like it has for years now? This has been one of my biggest complaints for, what, 5 years now.

OnlookerDelay 02-18-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolltide1017 (Post 2044724620)
Has there been any hints about a playoff being added for when you are tied after 4 rounds, or will the AI just give you the win regardless like it has for years now? This has been one of my biggest complaints for, what, 5 years now.

Yes, there will be a playoff this year, albeitwith a bit of a playing blindly in parallel feel to it. You will play off against those with whom you are tied, but you won't know what they did on the playoff hole you're supposedly playing head-to-head on until after the hole. The leaderboard will show what each player scored on the playoff hole, and proceed accordingly. It takes the tactics out of playoff golf, but at least you aren't automatically annointed as champion in the event of a tie.

They said they could have let you see your opponent's shot tracers executing their shots in turn, but there was a fear that this could be construed to be using a "likeness" of the unlicensed players and they decided not to chance it. Really a shame, because at least the turn-based shot tracers would show you exactly what your opponent was doing... (sigh)

BTW, how does one get rid of the annoying pop up ad that appears in the upper right corner of the message list? I can't read half the top message because it overlaps the top three or four lines. It also laps over into my replies sometimes and I can't even see what I'm typing. There's no way to get rid of the friggin ads by clicking anywhere on them!!?? I'm at the end of my rope in frustration with this :(

Matt10 02-18-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay (Post 2044724654)
BTW, how does one get rid of the annoying pop up ad that appears in the upper right corner of the message list? I can't read half the top message because it overlaps the top three or four lines. It also laps over into my replies sometimes and I can't even see what I'm typing. There's no way to get rid of the friggin ads by clicking anywhere on them!!?? I'm at the end of my rope in frustration with this :(

I can't say I have this problem - maybe this is a default OS skin issue? Ask Steve in Steve's forum as well. I use OS at Work skin and it is the best imho :)

Seymour Scagnetti 02-18-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Yes, there will be a playoff this year, albeitwith a bit of a playing blindly in parallel feel to it. You will play off against those with whom you are tied, but you won't know what they did on the playoff hole you're supposedly playing head-to-head on until after the hole. The leaderboard will show what each player scored on the playoff hole, and proceed accordingly. It takes the tactics out of playoff golf, but at least you aren't automatically annointed as champion in the event of a tie.

They said they could have let you see your opponent's shot tracers executing their shots in turn, but there was a fear that this could be construed to be using a "likeness" of the unlicensed players and they decided not to chance it. Really a shame, because at least the turn-based shot tracers would show you exactly what your opponent was doing... (sigh)

LOL and I thought I was the only one who was experiencing this. It is ****ing annoying and actually has popped up now as I write this post. Mine is always the same ad from Bell (Canadian phone company)and has pissed me off enough that I will never be buying anything from Bell no matter how cheap it is.

OnlookerDelay 02-18-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt10 (Post 2044725188)
I can't say I have this problem - maybe this is a default OS skin issue? Ask Steve in Steve's forum as well. I use OS at Work skin and it is the best imho :)

I switched to Office Skin and it not only got rid of the overlapping pop-up add, it got rid of (maybe I better not say ;)) Anyway, I'm a happy camper now... mucho thanko! :)

Go with Office skin Seymour!

Matt10 02-18-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay (Post 2044725378)
I switched to Office Skin and it not only got rid of the overlapping pop-up add, it got rid of (maybe I better not say ;)) Anyway, I'm a happy camper now... mucho thanko! :)

:D It's my favorite!

Seymour Scagnetti 02-19-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay (Post 2044725378)

how do you do that?

Matt10 02-19-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti (Post 2044726515)
how do you do that?

USER CP - then Edit Options - then all the way at the bottom of the page under "Miscellaneous Options" 2nd one down is "Forum Skin". Select "OS 1.0 I'm at Work".

Koolie G 02-19-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

So couldn't they just show where the other person's ball ended up after each shot? They don't have to show the tracer. Just show if they are in the rough, or 10 yards in front of me, or in the bunker, or right next to the hole, etc. You would at least see what type of shot they are facing and you could adjust accordingly. That seems like an easy fix.

OnlookerDelay 02-19-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolie G (Post 2044727704)
So couldn't they just show where the other person's ball ended up after each shot? They don't have to show the tracer. Just show if they are in the rough, or 10 yards in front of me, or in the bunker, or right next to the hole, etc. You would at least see what type of shot they are facing and you could adjust accordingly. That seems like an easy fix.

I asked that question to one of the lead producers. The response I got to this suggestion was that even showing a ball at rest, with a non-licensed player's name beside it *could* be construed as a "likeness" of said player. It likely wouldn't hold up in court, but I don't think EA Sports wants to test the waters on this and put a wrinkle in their relationship with the PGA. I would think they could work this out with an understanding up front, but it would probably cost them some serious cash just to have the legal dept. to work it out.