Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Strengths and weaknesses of 3-4 schemes (/forums/showthread.php?t=338924)

kzdwfy 07-25-2009 02:14 PM

Strengths and weaknesses of 3-4 schemes

Youve got 3-4 undr/over, 3-4 stack, 3-4 solid, and 3-4 even. Does anyone know the differences between each and what are the strengths and weaknesses of each defensive scheme

coachchris 07-25-2009 03:18 PM

Re: Strengths and weaknesses of 3-4 schemes

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/cjp/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><link rel="Edit-Time-Data" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/cjp/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_editdata.mso"><!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> I really like playing with the 3-4 defense. The big thing with the 3-4 defense at least in real life is it is a blitzing defense usually based on faster quicker blitzing/coverage LB's and bigger stronger DT & DE to assist in run stopping. The idea is you will have at least a 4 man rush most plays except unlike a 4-3 the 4th rusher can be any of your lb's.

In the game at least in years past I liked it because the pass rush was so ineffective I figured why waste another dl rusher when I could just drop eight into coverage. This year the pass rush is a little more effective so I have been playing the 3-4 as intended and blitzing at least one if not more most of the game.

3-4 over

In real life an over defense has the lb's shifted to the strong (te) side with the dl shifted to the weak. It will look like a 4-3 with the Sam olb closer to the LOS head up or outside of a TE. The over defense tries to balance up with the offense and usually provides for a strong side blitz or pass rush. The reason I say in real life because in the game the over usually aligns the lolb (the offenses right) on the los and the under aligns the rolb (offenses left) on the los.

3-4 under

The under defense usually shifts the lb's to the weak side (away from te) of a formation and shifts the d-line to the strong side. This defense is usually better for weak side blitzes and also aligns a de over a te, which can make for a tough block by the te. Again this is not represented in the game so I will usually do a quick flip of the play when I am calling defenses. So if I want to try to get a weak side rush and I call 3-4 under but the offense comes out with the te on the offenses left I will quickly flip the play so that I am aligns in the 3-4 under like I wanted. I will say the offense snaps the ball super quick this year so you need to be on top of it if you are going to switch because you can get caught mid switch.

3-4 stack

Stack defenses will stack the lb's directly behind the d-line providing some good inside blitz possibilities because the d-lineman can go one way and the lb's the other making for some difficult blocking for the o-line. I am not sure how this is represented in the game.

3-4 solid

Probably my favorite alignment. This defense squeezes all of the d lineman inside covering the G/C/G with the two inside lb's moved out over the tackles. The idea is the three d-lineman handle the inside run allowing the lb's to flow to either side for the run. This is a balance d so blitzes can come from both sides.

3-4 even

Looks very close to a 4-3 defense. The olb is up on the los and usually becomes a pass rusher because of his position. Probably my least favorite because if I wanted to play a 4-3 I would. <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:11.25pt; height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/cjp/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.operationsports.com/forums/images/smilies/graemlins/google.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->:google:

Sorry for the long post hope it helps.

65South 07-25-2009 03:41 PM

CoachChris, great, great post brother! Can honestly say I learned a lot from this short defensive session and have bookmarked this thread.:woot:

Thanks again man!

coachchris 07-25-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65South (Post 2039900562)
CoachChris, great, great post brother! Can honestly say I learned a lot from this short defensive session and have bookmarked this thread.:woot:

Thanks again man!

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/cjp/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -- </style> <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--><o></o>
Thanks, glad it helped. I can definitely get long-winded:y7: when it comes to talking football so I am glad it wasn’t too long of a post.

DerkontheOS 07-25-2009 04:06 PM

The only problem is, if you are playing dynasty and recruiting, there are not any big enough Defensive Ends too recruit. A 3-4 Defensive End is as big as Defensive Tackles in the 4-3. Also, Defensive Ends in the 4-3 are the size of outside Linebackers, in most cases. Therefore, if you were trying to build a 3-4 defense in dynasty it would be like having six Linebackers on the field at any given time.

joehoo 07-25-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzdwfy (Post 2039900140)
Youve got 3-4 undr/over, 3-4 stack, 3-4 solid, and 3-4 even. Does anyone know the differences between each and what are the strengths and weaknesses of each defensive scheme

chris could not have said it any better.

one of my fav things about the 3-4 its as if you have 4 DE on the field. both olbs and the DEs. It also does a good job against the option. having ur NT line up over the C, where ther NT can usually take the FB out of the equation. (IE Uva vs GT 08).

coachchris 07-25-2009 04:35 PM

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/cjp/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> You make a good point. One of the things I have done in the past is move DT's to the DE position because like you said the DE's in a 3-4 scheme are really DT's.

Now I just started my Air Force dynasty last night and they play with a 3-4 defense so I have not had a chance to really delve into the recruiting yet but I know this has been an issue in the past.

One thing to note is a team like Air Force plays the 3-4 for different reasons then some other teams. The Academy knows they are not going to have any really big guys to play those three d-line positions because of the height/weight limitation. However, they are sure of one thing they will have year in and year out some tough, strong, hard-nosed guys they can fill into those spots. Of course, this is hard to replicate in the game but when looking for d-lineman at Air Force I generally look for strength as my number one factor over size, speed or anything else. The 3-4 also allows them to get their more athletic guys on the field, which they have more of because of the height/weight limitations at the Academy.

DerkontheOS 07-25-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachchris (Post 2039900800)
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/cjp/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> You make a good point. One of the things I have done in the past is move DT's to the DE position because like you said the DE's in a 3-4 scheme are really DT's.

Now I just started my Air Force dynasty last night and they play with a 3-4 defense so I have not had a chance to really delve into the recruiting yet but I know this has been an issue in the past.

One thing to note is a team like Air Force plays the 3-4 for different reasons then some other teams. The Academy knows they are not going to have any really big guys to play those three d-line positions because of the height/weight limitation. However, they are sure of one thing they will have year in and year out some tough, strong, hard-nosed guys they can fill into those spots. Of course, this is hard to replicate in the game but when looking for d-lineman at Air Force I generally look for strength as my number one factor over size, speed or anything else. The 3-4 also allows them to get their more athletic guys on the field, which they have more of because of the height/weight limitations at the Academy.

So true...I am a big fan of the 3-4 defense, cause of the Packers are changing too it and I saw its effectiveness in New England, and I was thinking about switching too it soon. The only problem I have is the Defensive Ends. What kind of ratings drop are you seeing from switching Defensive Tackles to Defensive Ends.