Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Baseball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Are Baseball players the least conditioned athletes in team sports? (/forums/showthread.php?t=419149)

Recon64bit 06-11-2010 11:51 PM

Are Baseball players the least conditioned athletes in team sports?

How do so many baseball players get injured?? I mean seriously, take A-rod for example. That guy barely ever runs at full speed, he is usually subbed out for Ramiro Pena to run bases. He doesn't steal bases. He plays 3rd base so the ball doesn't get to him as much as ShortStop or second base. He sits in the dugout while on offense until he is on deck, and then all he is really doing when batting is standing, and swinging a bat. How do you get injured and fatigued from doing that so easily? He's only what 34 years old? I'm not trying to bash A-rod at all, I'm just using him as an example. He's my favorite player, and I'm a Yankee fan.

But if you compare what other sports athletes go through, you can see how much better they are conditioned. MLB players are injured just as much as NFL players are, which is mind boggling because that is a full contact sport. Should something be done about the the conditioning of baseball players? Should athleticism be held to a higher standard in the league?

Another thing why aren't P. Fielder and D. Ortiz forced to get in shape like, other team sports athletes are???

Scottdau 06-12-2010 01:43 AM

Re: Are Baseball players the least conditioned athletes in team sports?

Even though Baseball is not consider a contact sports. The reason players break down as much as they do is the fact they play 162 games a year. That is a lot of wear and tear on the body. Even if you only play 140 games a year it is still a lot of wear and tear.

stewaat 06-12-2010 01:45 AM

You're right. They should get rid of the MLB due to this. I can't believe nobody has thought of this before.

You should probably submit a letter to Mr. Bud Selig about this concerning issue

Chrisksaint 06-12-2010 12:01 PM

What gets me is the people you see hit a triple, then cross home plate 2 batters later and still look like they are about to pass out.

Pared 06-12-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisksaint (Post 2041168360)
What gets me is the people you see hit a triple, then cross home plate 2 batters later and still look like they are about to pass out.

What is the length between bases compared to a basketball court?

Recon64bit 06-12-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisksaint (Post 2041168360)

Do you know how much more deadlier P. Fielder and D. Ortiz would be if they got in shape?

Shakedowncapo 06-12-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon64bit (Post 2041168442)
Do you know how much more deadlier P. Fielder and D. Ortiz would be if they got in shape?

Roper's Trainer: You got stop eatin' this stuff and be in some kind of shape!
James "The Grim Reaper" Roper: Oh, I'm in shape.... I'm round!

Blzer 06-12-2010 01:13 PM

I think you may have to look at what you said and realize that there is too much "stop and go" action so that, in-game, they aren't conditioned for that kind of stuff. In a sport like basketball, you are jogging around the court the entire time. There's less of a chance for you to tear something that way I suppose.

Also, it is an outdoor sport that you play 162 games a year. They warm up three-some hours before games. I'm sure it just wears on them at some point.