Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Out of Bounds: Best Madden Innovations (/forums/showthread.php?t=436887)

RaychelSnr 08-17-2010 01:25 PM

Out of Bounds: Best Madden Innovations

I tend to get into arguments. I'm not entirely sure why, or how, but they seem to follow me wherever I go. Sometimes it's politics and sometimes it's music. I'll go on for hours about the merits of the Stones and the failings of Jim Morrison. And sometimes, in my lamer moments, I'm not at all above having a dust up about video games.

A buddy of mine was none too pleased about the column I wrote last week about what I feel is a stagnant Madden franchise. He said I was just another one of those NFL 2K5 acolytes, and I couldn't appreciate the game because of my own preconceptions. He even said that I have totally ignored the major leaps forward the Madden franchise has brought to the table.

That's tough but fair. I have, after all, enjoyed a few Madden games over the years. I played the ever living hell out of the 1999 edition. I've owned and/or rented almost every incarnation of the franchise. My experience goes all the way back to the Sega Genesis days where the players were all identical sprites running oddly about the field. I have, honestly, been a cautious fan for as long as there's been a Madden.

So I've decided to honor the franchise and its innovations with a quick countdown of what I feel are the best improvements over the years. As always, feel free to disagree.

Read More - Out of Bounds: Best Madden Innovations

rooney8 08-17-2010 01:40 PM

Re: Out of Bounds: Best Madden Innovations

I am not sure honoring the franchise is listing great features they have either done away with or let go down the toilet. Think you just made your buddy more :mad:. Not me though and I agree with most of the features selected. Franchise was definately huge. Wasn't crazy about the vision cone but was more of a casual Madden player back then.

wheelman990 08-17-2010 01:42 PM

Just tell your buddy you overated Madden 11 in your review with a 9 rating to please him. Thats gotta count for something.

kpkpkp 08-17-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelman990 (Post 2041482839)
Just tell your buddy you overated Madden 11 in your review with a 9 rating to please him. Thats gotta count for something.

lol .

kjcheezhead 08-17-2010 01:54 PM

Couldn't think of one more recent that 5 years ago??!!

How about the ones gamers are always begging to see return?

WR shading, individual bump n run, formation shifts, audibles on the fly, the Ps2 mini games.....

roadman 08-17-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

That was another reviewer, he just posted the review.

Dazraz 08-17-2010 02:14 PM

I think EA have bought a lot of innovation to franchise/dynasty/career modes not only in Madden but across a number of different titles. Where EA persistently frustrate however is the way in which they always strip their games down to the bare bones whenever a new piece of hardware is released rather than transfer the features across.

How often do EA make big noises about a new feature with a brand new name that is basically a reincarnation of a feature seen on a previous generation console.

spankdatazz22 08-17-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

LOL - although I see now he didn't do the review. Still, a week in and the OS review seems like a joke. Think it's pretty noticeable that the list doesn't contain any innovations from this generation, when pretty much every other sports game can point to something they've innovated with (and many have several innovations under their belt).