Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Sticks (/forums/showthread.php?t=439049)

eko718 08-26-2010 02:36 PM

NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Sticks

2K Sports has just posted another NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, going over the controls in the game.

Quote:

"The number of moves you can pull off in NBA 2K11 is pretty insane. When you get your hands on the game this fall, one of the first things I’d recommend to everyone is to navigate to the Main Menu and go to --> Options --> My Controller --> Advanced Controls. Here, we’ve detailed most of the major things that we’ve added to the on-court experience. Of course, in typical 2K fashion, we’ve left some of the moves off the list for you to discover on your own as you play the game. As a game designer, one of the ways I’ve always gone about my work is to study real NBA games and translate what I see into game mechanics. For me, if I can pull off everything I see on TV in our game, then I’m pretty happy with the controls. And with NBA 2K11, there’s very little (if anything) that you can’t do on the sticks to replicate your favorite real life moments. I remember being in motion capture with a few of the swingmen we brought in to do some new dribble moves and shots. Walking the guys through what we wanted them to do, on more than one occasion they would say, “that’s a great move, I’m gonna start using that” or “man, you guys got every move in the book in this game!” Coming from NBA-caliber talent, that’s a nice acknowledgement to how in-depth some of the moves in our game have become."

jeebs9 08-26-2010 02:38 PM

Re: NBA 2K11 'The Sticks'- Insight Released

Awesome!!!

lv2bll 08-26-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeebs9 (Post 2041520311)
Awesome!!!

2k doin their thing today

omgzgabe 08-26-2010 02:43 PM

2k11 is going to be something else

yungflo 08-26-2010 02:44 PM

I hope they put the full moves into the manual or a disclaimer on the game saying to download the full manual for move pack. Because I remember 2k8 did this exact thing, and the manual book was thin..and reviews bitched about it like there was no end.

jeebs9 08-26-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lv2bll (Post 2041520322)
2k doin their thing today

They been doing their thing all month!!

Positive Chance 08-26-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgzgabe (Post 2041520331)
2k11 is going to be something else

I'm sorry, but is this game gonna be the best ever !? Anyone?

Goffs 08-26-2010 02:48 PM

whats signature gather? is that only for certain players?

spankdatazz22 08-26-2010 02:50 PM

Wow. Really not much else to say

sportsfanatic1 08-26-2010 02:54 PM

2k definitely has been on a roll man they know how to get the gamer prepared for there release and people always want them to drop information every week like i do but look how everybody is excited to play this game and nba live/elite always telling us whats new with there game and you don't really have that urge to go get it seeing how you know everything thats going to be in it

SageInfinite 08-26-2010 02:56 PM

Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: The Sticks

This is just too much for words.

VDusen04 08-26-2010 02:59 PM

The new dunk controls appear snazzy. I'm pumped about choosing when I'm going to hang on a flush attempt.

greenegt 08-26-2010 02:59 PM

The new controls are much better. I have not been this hyped for a game in years. Incredible!

jeebs9 08-26-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Positive Chance (Post 2041520343)
I'm sorry, but is this game gonna be the best ever !? Anyone?

Man...I have to agree...The way its sounding right now. With the MJ deal. And the gameplay...The visuals...We might be talking about the G.o.a.t.

XxRocky145xX 08-26-2010 03:02 PM

i havent read the insight but i watched the video and everything was pretty cool.... until i saw that spin dunk WHY 2k? the spin dunk was one of the favorite things to abuse on 2k8/2k9 and guys are bringing that back?...jeez

let me read the insight

RIZDRAVER 08-26-2010 03:06 PM

At this point can anyone in their right mind possibly keep a straight face when hearing "Dunno, it's just 2K10 but with Jordan". :spit:

yungflo 08-26-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goffs (Post 2041520350)
whats signature gather? is that only for certain players?

their move, like rondos fake pass would be different from rose's

Jano 08-26-2010 03:08 PM

Best blog ever haha!! Is exactly what I wanted to hear they improved every one of my concerns from last year. The new shot control sounds great and the interruptible moves is something I've been wanting for a while now.

This game is definitely going to be the best bball game this year (and maybe one of the best ever) if everything comes together like they say. I can't wait for the demo to drop to finally get my hands on this one.

cAbEzIbIrI 08-26-2010 03:09 PM

Wow i am so pumped for this game....and this has never happend ....not atleast when its a month and a half away......anyone whos gettin the game and play simball which i guess is 90% of this site add me on xbox live because i really think we're bound to get real nba life like experience games if u know what i mean

Xbox gamertag= CaBeZiBiRi

drewbs 08-26-2010 03:09 PM

Just read the insight, sounds freaking sick.

VDusen04 08-26-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxRocky145xX (Post 2041520420)
It look nice i hope the moves are responsive...But omg Spin-Dunk??? oh noooooo thats was the only part i didnt like

I'm pumped about that move. I will guess it will not be able to be pulled off every time down the court and I know the example I have below is Vince Carter, but this is a play that definitely exists and is pulled off by a multitude of players so I'm pumped to see it so smoothly executed in 2K.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jfYVPoS7qEg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jfYVPoS7qEg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uUPMDtEUeJ0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uUPMDtEUeJ0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Those just happen to be the first two that come to mind because I'm a huge Vince fan.

michaeljordanjr 08-26-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

You’ll see everything from catch blocks, to chase down backboard pins, and everything in between. They’ve created some of our favorite highlight moments this development cycle.
Catch blocks?

So we'll be able to re-live this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IQJprZGr5XI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IQJprZGr5XI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

If so, first thing I'm doing is putting Jordan on the Wizards. :woot:

lv2bll 08-26-2010 03:10 PM

Finnally i can be dwill

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8XzA2c4Vbw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8XzA2c4Vbw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

yungflo 08-26-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

i havent read the insight but i watched the video and everything was pretty cool.... until i saw that spin dunk WHY 2k? the spin dunk was one of the favorite things to abuse on 2k8/2k9 and guys are bringing that back?...jeez

let me read the insight

why may i ask???

Dewie12 08-26-2010 03:13 PM

I can't wait to test drive this baby.

I am looking forward to absolute shot stick the most.

sportsfanatic1 08-26-2010 03:14 PM

i am sold on this game man all i need is a homerun association insight and i'm good

XxRocky145xX 08-26-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yungflo (Post 2041520470)
why may i ask???

Because i play a lot of ranked games and will play a lot of my crew if they fix the servers too, so it will be annoying dealing with an abusive move every time. Maybe im paranoid but that spin/dunk move give me flashback of kobe duking over me on 2k8, people would spin to get on auto-dunk spot, why bring a move that was very exploitable? hopefully its like vdusen04 said and you cant pull that off every time

Checmate101 08-26-2010 03:17 PM

This is Whasup...game of the year from the sound of things...

Positive Chance 08-26-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxRocky145xX (Post 2041520493)
Because i play a lot of ranked games and will play a lot of my crew if they fix the servers too, so it will be annoying dealing with an abusive move every time. Maybe im paranoid but that spin/dunk move give me flashback of kobe duking over me on 2k8, people would spin to get on auto-dunk spot, why bring a move that was very exploitable? hopefully its like vdusen04 said and you cant pull that off every time

because sim players won't exploit it ....

oOausarOo 08-26-2010 03:21 PM

Amazing insight. Usually I'm extremely skeptical, but I'm a believer now. Every 2k game I've played has been good, but none have ever come close to reaching their full potential.

If they can successfully execute on these aspects of gameplay and control this could finally be the game that reaches it.

XxRocky145xX 08-26-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Positive Chance (Post 2041520504)

sim players dont play ranked games, maybe my crew, but ive never see them...so like i dont like online leagues i have my rights to be concerned.

jeebs9 08-26-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oOausarOo (Post 2041520518)
Amazing insight. Usually I'm extremely skeptical, but I'm a believer now. Every 2k game I've played has been good, but none have ever come close to reaching their full potential.

If they can successfully execute on these aspects of gameplay and control this could finally be the game that reaches it.

^^agreed^^

I can't wait to see what they have done to the post game.

yungflo 08-26-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

I agree, I'm pretty sure the demo was on pro to demonstrate the moves. I don't think yje moves will be exploit or much of.

You want to take out a fundamental move ? no offense XxRocky145xX, but thats ridiculous. If that's the case, they should have taken out the post up game in 2k8 because it 2k7 it was an exploit instead of improving it.

J-Clutch1 08-26-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

And I doubt it'll be THAT exploitable since the gamestyle will be Simulation online.

youvalss 08-26-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

As you can see, NBA 2K11 is much more than just a tweaked 2K10 with Michael Jordan on the cover.
The best way to describe this game.

oOausarOo 08-26-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

let me read the insight

I cringed when I saw that also, but in Beluba's latest insight he mentioned a key word.

Quote:

So what good are all these offensive weapons if the defense doesn’t have the tools to counter? That was something we were very conscious of throughout feature development and something we knew we had to get right in order to have a fun and balanced experience.
If they stay true to that everything should be fine. It can even enhance the game by making big plays more exciting and special.

dvir10 08-26-2010 03:28 PM

2k did a lot of effort this year.o
making guys like paul pierce with multiple sig shots is a huge thing in my opinion.

Tha_Kid 08-26-2010 03:29 PM

Everything sounds pretty great. Looking forward to both demos equally now.

I'm interested the most in playing defense this year, because it sounds much more engaging than in years past. Love the addition of manual hard fouls and practice jerseys.

The 1-to-1 dribbling and moves that are branch-able, interruptible, and controllable sounds really intriguing. The shot modifier has added a layer of depth that wasn't there (or at least controllable) and the new shot stick logic for dunks sounds good.

Someone had to ask: Is there potential for technical fouls or injuries when performing hard fouls?

jeebs9 08-26-2010 03:33 PM

That was one of the biggest problems. Players have different jumpshot all over the floor. Paul Perice has 11 different forms by himself in real life. I'm so happy they have broken it down now. mid range jump, 3 point jumper, and (rare leaner) CP3. This is awesome...

Positive Chance 08-26-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tha_Kid (Post 2041520561)
Everything sounds pretty great. Looking forward to both demos equally now.

I'm interested the most in playing defense this year, because it sounds much more engaging than in years past. Love the addition of manual hard fouls and practice jerseys.

The 1-to-1 dribbling and moves that are branch-able, interruptible, and controllable sounds really intriguing. The shot modifier has added a layer of depth that wasn't there (or at least controllable) and the new shot stick logic for dunks sounds good.

Someone had to ask: Is there potential for technical fouls or injuries when performing hard fouls?

Theere will be no technical fouls .