Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Boxing (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Peter Moore Blog: Is Boxing Dead? (/forums/showthread.php?t=464790)

Steve_OS 01-13-2011 06:53 PM

Peter Moore Blog: Is Boxing Dead?

The President of EA Sports, Peter Moore has posted another blog, where he asks... Is Boxing Dead?

Of course he brings in a little Fight Night Champion flavor into the mix. Check it out.

Quote:

"I hear the question often - Is boxing dead? My answer is always an emphatic no.

Is the sport challenged by declining interest, a lack of bona fide superstars (sorry Manny) and the growth of mixed martial arts? Absolutely. Does the sport miss the dynamic legends of the past, like Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Holmes? Of course. As a lifetime fight fan, I will always remember as a young boy listening to the big fights from America on a transistor radio under my pillow at night. Those were the days when there was no bigger global sporting event than a world heavyweight championship fight. While title fights still routinely generate tens of millions of pay-per-view dollars and are watched by millions, the sport of boxing clearly is not the cultural fixture it once was. But, let me be clear, boxing’s not dead."

Vast 01-13-2011 07:49 PM

Re: Peter Moore Blog: Is Boxing Dead?

Well at least now we know where the story mode idea came from.

LingeringRegime 01-13-2011 07:56 PM

Don't know too much about this, but can you create a boxer in the story mode? Or are you stuck with the default character?

BlueNGold 01-13-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ (Post 2042030757)
Don't know too much about this, but can you create a boxer in the story mode? Or are you stuck with the default character?

Stuck with the default guy. Legacy is for created boxers.

I would have much rather they focused all of this effort on Legacy Mode than some pre-determined story mode, but it is what it is.

Vast 01-13-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueNGold (Post 2042030834)
Stuck with the default guy. Legacy is for created boxers.

I would have much rather they focused all of this effort on Legacy Mode than some pre-determined story mode, but it is what it is.

Exactly! Peter Moore says "Gamers are looking for innovation, and, in boxing, we have a unique opportunity to tell the stories behind the game and to bring the participants to life as characters, not just players. The sport of boxing gives us a chance to create a true cinematic sports experience."

Why not create an organic legacy mode that has these elements sprinkled in. We would all be blown away. everyone.

Starcraft is such a deep and intricate game that still sells millions. Why does EA think simple is best? That things can't be too difficult, "can't add too much depth, it'll scare away the casuals." :brickwall

NYG_Meth 01-13-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vast (Post 2042030890)
Exactly! Peter Moore says "Gamers are looking for innovation, and, in boxing, we have a unique opportunity to tell the stories behind the game and to bring the participants to life as characters, not just players. The sport of boxing gives us a chance to create a true cinematic sports experience."

Why not create an organic legacy mode that has these elements sprinkled in. We would all be blown away. everyone.

Starcraft is such a deep and intricate game that still sells millions. Why does EA think simple is best? That things can't be too difficult, "can't add too much depth, it'll scare away the casuals." :brickwall

I hear ya, brutha...

Money99 01-13-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vast (Post 2042030890)

Exactly. I hope that's something they'll be doing down the road.

eye guy 01-13-2011 09:46 PM

I didn't read the article but instead decided to answer the question in the title... Is boxing dead?

No. It is very much alive in the lighter weights, but it's struggling mostly in the HW division. Any boxing follower/supporter would've said the same thing.