Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Soccer (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=520)
-   -   *The Road to Brazil 2014* WC 2014 Qualifying Discussion (/forums/showthread.php?t=498283)

Whitesox 07-31-2011 01:46 AM

*The Road to Brazil 2014* WC 2014 Qualifying Discussion

We didn't have a concrete thread for qualifying last year, and since the preliminary draw was made tonight, I figured that, if one was to exist, now was the time to make one. I figure we can use this for qualifying discussion and then when the final draw is made a new thread can be created; hopefully things will be tidier.

The following pictures outline the qualifying rules for each confederation as well as show the draw. They were cropped out of the .pdf file on FIFA's website, available here. I'll be updating these as qualifying progresses, as well.

General and Intercontinental Playoff:
Spoiler

African Zone:
Spoiler

Asian Zone:
Spoiler

European Zone:
Spoiler

North, Central America and the Caribbean Zone:
Spoiler

Oceanian Zone:
Spoiler

South American Zone:
Spoiler

Whitesox 07-31-2011 01:49 AM

Re: *The Road to Brazil 2014* WC 2014 Qualifying Discussion

Teams Qualified

African Zone

Asian Zone

European Zone

North, Central American and the Caribbean Zone

Oceanian Zone

South Ameican Zone
Brazil (Hosts)

Total Teams Qualified: 1/32

peigone 07-31-2011 04:01 PM

I really don't understand why there isn't some kind of backlash or revolt against the obvious ineptitude of FIFA and the people who set up the WC tournament. It's the same ill-conceived organizational nonsense every time. You have 53 European teams fighting for 13 spots, meaning 25% of those teams get in. Meanwhile, 4 of the 9 South American teams get in, or 44% of the teams taking part. The discrepency here defies any sane or logical explanation.

It was especially noticable last WC when I compared a list of the teams taking part with the FIFA world standings. It was shocking how many of the world's top teams weren't in the tournament. In that regard the WC is like the MLB allstar game, where a sizable % of the game's best don't even take part. The only people worse at what they do are the organizational dummies who set up the Stanley Cup playoffs, where Montreal and Toronto never have the opportunity to play each other in the finals, lol.

VanCitySportsGuy 09-07-2011 10:01 PM

It's always shocking when I see Canada stomp another team.

In the first 2 WC Qualifying games, Canada has outscored their opponent 7-1. Winning 2 out of the last 4 games might be enough to win the Group and advance to the next stage. Canada caught a huge break with the groups. We won't have to face the US or Mexico until the final round of qualifying (assuming we make it this far).

I wish David Hoilett will make up his mind and finally decide what Country he wants to play for, Canada or Jamaica. He grew up in Ontario so I feel like he should play for Canada. I'm not a soccer expert but the fact he plays in the EPL tells me he's probably the best Canadian player in the world.

Whitesox 09-07-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanCitySportsGuy (Post 2042823577)

In the first 2 WC Qualifying games, Canada has outscored their opponent 7-1. Winning 2 out of the last 4 games might be enough to win the Group and advance to the next stage. Canada caught a huge break with the groups. We won't have to face the US or Mexico until the final round of qualifying (assuming we make it this far).

I wish David Hoilett will make up his mind and finally decide what Country he wants to play for, Canada or Jamaica. He grew up in Ontario so I feel like he should play for Canada. I'm not a soccer expert but the fact he plays in the EPL tells me he's probably the best Canadian player in the world.

To me, the stars seem to be aligned for Canada to steal a spot in Brazil. You've got an easy round 2 draw (obviously), and a relatively easy round 3 draw.

Their group stands to look like:
Honduras (weakest of top 3)
Cuba (weakest of 4-6)
Panama
Canada

If they slip by, then all they need to do is finish 4th or better out of 6 in the final round, and they'll earn either a direct birth or, if they finish fourth, the next best thing, a playoff against the Oceanic team that survives their qualifying.

RoyceDa59 09-07-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanCitySportsGuy (Post 2042823577)

Hoilett is okay he hasn't established himself enough in the EPL but I feel there are much better Canadian born players than him. Paul Stalteri had a good stint in the Bundesliga and did okay in the EPL. Jonathan de Guzmán is one play I would like to see play for Canada, he is really talented but he has been playing for the Netherlands youth squad.

VanCitySportsGuy 09-07-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyceDa59 (Post 2042823649)
Hoilett is okay he hasn't established himself enough in the EPL but I feel there are much better Canadian born players than him. Paul Stalteri had a good stint in the Bundesliga and did okay in the EPL. Jonathan de Guzmán is one play I would like to see play for Canada, he is really talented but he has been playing for the Netherlands youth squad.

Do you know why Stalteri isn't on Team Canada?

I've never heard of Jonathan de Guzmán but I know his older brother plays for Team Canada. I wish all these guys that were born in Canada would actually play for Canada. We can add Teal Bunbury to this list. His father is one of the best Canadian players of all-time so you would think he would nudge his son to play for Canada.

VanCitySportsGuy 09-07-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesox (Post 2042823639)
To me, the stars seem to be aligned for Canada to steal a spot in Brazil. You've got an easy round 2 draw (obviously), and a relatively easy round 3 draw.

Their group stands to look like:
Honduras (weakest of top 3)
Cuba (weakest of 4-6)
Panama
Canada

If they slip by, then all they need to do is finish 4th or better out of 6 in the final round, and they'll earn either a direct birth or, if they finish fourth, the next best thing, a playoff against the Oceanic team that survives their qualifying.

I'm not a big soccer fan but I love the World Cup. I would be thrilled if I could watch Canada play in 2014. Canada has only made it once (1986) and they were badly outplayed in every match.

It seems like Canada always has trouble scoring against decent to good teams. Another issue is that most of the home games feel road games for Canada because the stands are filled with people rooting for the other Country (I think the US has this problem too, especially in the last Gold Cup Finals against Mexico).