Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Madden NFL 12: Best Position Switches (/forums/showthread.php?t=528013)

RaychelSnr 12-15-2011 12:23 PM

Madden NFL 12: Best Position Switches

Think your speedy third-string quarterback in Madden 12 would make a better wide receiver? Have an inkling that your gifted wideout could hack it at tight end? Ever wonder if your slow-footed corner would be better suited as a strong safety?

Most of the time you’d be wrong, but in certain cases position switches in Madden could turn an average schmo into an All-Star Joe. Here are a few players in Madden who benefit the most from lining up at different positions on the virtual gridiron.

Read More - Madden NFL 12: Best Position Switches

StL_RamZ 12-15-2011 12:34 PM

Reggie bush to WR not sure the rating change...I haven't played madden in months lol

TheDelta 12-15-2011 12:40 PM

Re: Madden NFL 12: Best Position Switches

Wow the Tebow suggestion is terrible... as you've said yourself, his passing skills are adequate, he has the all-important clutch trait and you seriously recommend moving him to HB where he's nothing but a decent power back? Giving up a player with a pretty unique skillset to make him a mediocre player at the position where there's the most supply in the game doesn't really sound like a smart move to me.

There are literally dozens of HBs in the game as good or better as Tebow would be, yet there are only a handful of mobile QBs with really good running skills that can actually throw the ball well enough.

If I really want to run the wildcat, I can easily use the sub packages to get him in there, so that's no reason at all to change his position and lose him as a QB.

StL_RamZ 12-15-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StL_RamZ (Post 2043174885)
Reggie bush to WR not sure the rating change...I haven't played madden in months lol

80 to a 87

bigball12 12-15-2011 12:55 PM

How do you get Josh Cribbs to QB? Wildcat only right?

sydrogerdavid 12-15-2011 01:06 PM

I'd rather keep Heath Miller and Weslye Sunders as my TEs and have Hines as my slot reciever. Then I have Antonio Brown as my #2 and Mike Wallace as my #1. Thank you Steelers for giving me such awesome receivers!

jd369 12-15-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigball12 (Post 2043174945)

if you just want him as your wildcat qb you just formation sub him in. if you want him as your qb all the time then just change his position to qb. if the wildcat only lets you formation sub rb's then change him to an rb, start a game and formation sub him. quit game and change him back to wr and save your franchise. he will be in as your wildcat qb from then on unless you formation sub him out later.

bigdaddykraven 12-15-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigball12 (Post 2043174945)

Edit his position to QB...

Of course this doesn't work online.

ajimithing 12-15-2011 01:50 PM

I was using the Bills in an offline franchise a couple years ago and had my top 2 RBs go down with injuries. I moved T.O. to RB and I believe he got a OVR boost. Also, most of the older corners get an OVR boost when you move them to FS.

Obnoxious 12-15-2011 03:19 PM

I don't edit his position or anything but I use Darren Sproles as my slot receiver in Singleback formation subs.

Obnoxious 12-15-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajimithing (Post 2043175105)
I was using the Bills in an offline franchise a couple years ago and had my top 2 RBs go down with injuries. I moved T.O. to RB and I believe he got a OVR boost. Also, most of the older corners get an OVR boost when you move them to FS.

I moved CB Jabari Greer to FS after his speed dropped to 86.

newefan 12-15-2011 03:33 PM

anybody thats been playing madden since the ps2 days should know the olbs most of them at least are better at de

TheDelta 12-15-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newefan (Post 2043175375)
anybody thats been playing madden since the ps2 days should know the olbs most of them at least are better at de

The thing is that Madden after all these years still doesn't make a difference between 4-3 and 3-4 defenses, so all players are rated by the same standards, meaning an OLB gets high OVR from high pass rush AND high pass coverage skills, and DEs get measured by run stop AND pass rush skills. So most 3-4 OLBs are good pass rushers, but not good at coverage, so moving them to DE simply takes their cover skills out of the equation, making them look better.

In the end, it's putting lipstick on a pig, it doesn't really matter since the OVR of players doesn't matter. If you run a 4-3, I don't care how great a pass rusher Aldon Smith is, his 50ish cover skills make him pretty unusable to me as a LB even if his pass rush skills give him a good OVR rating. At the same time, there are many 4-3 DTs in the game that are great run stoppers with a bit of speed, so they're perfectly suited to be DEs in a 3-4 but the game won't give them a good rating because they aren't great pass rushers, which again doesn't actually matter ingame since you'll get your pass rush from your OLBs if you run a 3-4.

So the lesson is, don't just jump on a player because of a high OVR, you need to actually look at his skills to judge how good he will be on the field. At the same time, a player doesn't magically get better just because you move him to another position. Moving Reggie Bush to WR may give his OVR a boost, but again, lipstick on a pig, he's still the same player with the same skills. There's no need to edit his position, as a HB, you can just put him on your WR depth chart or formation sub him if you want him to line up wide. Actually, if you play franchise, it's better to use him in a position where his OVR is lower, because it will allow his skills to progress further.

seanyboy116 12-16-2011 02:56 AM

Kirk Morrison MLB to SS... Goes Up Huge

pistolpete 12-16-2011 11:16 AM

I found a much better replacement for CJ Spiller at the runningback position, and tonight I am tempted to move him to WR, to see if he gets much of a boost. I'm in year 2, and his current OVR is an 82. He's a 95 speed with 99 agility and 99 acceleration.

bigbob 12-16-2011 02:50 PM

Don't forget moving Antoine Winfield to SS. I believe he makes the jump to a 96 overall (which would be his position IF our corners could stay healthy).

TheDelta 12-16-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbob (Post 2043178149)
Don't forget moving Antoine Winfield to SS. I believe he makes the jump to a 96 overall (which would be his position IF our corners could stay healthy).

This so much. As you can read in my franchise, I've had way, way more success defensively since I moved Winfield to SS and let the players play CB that actually have the speed to do so.

bigbob 12-16-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDelta (Post 2043178803)
This so much. As you can read in my franchise, I've had way, way more success defensively since I moved Winfield to SS and let the players play CB that actually have the speed to do so.

It's something the team has actually been trying to do since we lost Darren Sharper, Cedric Griffin as well, but injuries at the cornerback position hasn't allowed them to make the switch yet. He's also very good at safety tackling and coverage wise. Unfortunately for us, speed > actual skill in Madden so he's not the greatest corner in-game.

TheDelta 12-16-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbob (Post 2043178901)
Unfortunately for us, speed > actual skill in Madden so he's not the greatest corner in-game.

"Not the greatest" doesn't quite cut it. I've given up over 400 yards passing to Shaun Hill and almost 300 yards receiving in one game to Nate Burleson with Winfield and Griffin starting at CB, neither of them is even close to being a decent starting CB in the game. It's pretty simply you can't ask a CB in this game to cover a WR that's more than 1 or 2 points faster than him, doing so is a recipe for disaster. And since there aren't many WRs with speed significantly below 90, CBs with 85 speed are pretty useless in the game. But Winfield's a true beast at safety, he has huge tackle and hit power for a CB, so he's a good run stopper and his coverage and catch skills really help him jump those underneath and flat routes, but asking him to cover deep... not a good idea.

RogueHominid 12-16-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanyboy116 (Post 2043177027)
Kirk Morrison MLB to SS... Goes Up Huge

That's an interesting one. At 238 he'd be pretty damn big, but that's how big Roy Williams was, Taylor Mays is that big, as is Adrian Wilson -- and Joey Browner in his heavier days was probably in the 230s.

Still, that's a pretty big dude for SS. Does he have the speed and range to be anything other than the rolled down S in a cover 3? I wonder what kind of ground he could cover in a two deep scheme, or if he could handle a TE or a HB.

mm boost 12-16-2011 08:51 PM

I know this is random and he isn't very popular, but Igor Olshanksy from D-End to D-Tackle takes him from B potential to A potential. When he was still on Dallas, I moved him to D-Tackle and he went to A potential with an OVR boost, and then I traded him to the Colts for a couple draft picks. He is built like a wall, so its a great fit and was something I thought Dallas shoulda done with him in the first place (along with moving Ratliff to D-End).

draes34 12-16-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDelta (Post 2043175615)
The thing is that Madden after all these years still doesn't make a difference between 4-3 and 3-4 defenses, so all players are rated by the same standards, meaning an OLB gets high OVR from high pass rush AND high pass coverage skills, and DEs get measured by run stop AND pass rush skills. So most 3-4 OLBs are good pass rushers, but not good at coverage, so moving them to DE simply takes their cover skills out of the equation, making them look better.

In the end, it's putting lipstick on a pig, it doesn't really matter since the OVR of players doesn't matter. If you run a 4-3, I don't care how great a pass rusher Aldon Smith is, his 50ish cover skills make him pretty unusable to me as a LB even if his pass rush skills give him a good OVR rating. At the same time, there are many 4-3 DTs in the game that are great run stoppers with a bit of speed, so they're perfectly suited to be DEs in a 3-4 but the game won't give them a good rating because they aren't great pass rushers, which again doesn't actually matter ingame since you'll get your pass rush from your OLBs if you run a 3-4.

So the lesson is, don't just jump on a player because of a high OVR, you need to actually look at his skills to judge how good he will be on the field. At the same time, a player doesn't magically get better just because you move him to another position. Moving Reggie Bush to WR may give his OVR a boost, but again, lipstick on a pig, he's still the same player with the same skills. There's no need to edit his position, as a HB, you can just put him on your WR depth chart or formation sub him if you want him to line up wide. Actually, if you play franchise, it's better to use him in a position where his OVR is lower, because it will allow his skills to progress further.

This has been common knowledge for quite some time. I wish Madden would have specified ratings for defensive players based on the scheme you run. Players should have an overall rating based on what is required of their position, which increases or decreases in a 3-4 or 4-3. If a player is one-dimensional, he shouldn't have a high 90's rating.

For example:
No matter how good a guy like Dwight Freeney is as a pass rusher, he can't play DE in a 3-4. He would be switched to OLB. But if you do that in the game it severely drops his overall.
So, let's say his DE overall SHOULD be about 86-89. In a 4-3 his rating would go up 5-10 points, but in a 3-4 it would drop 5-10 points.

It annoys me how they cut corners, by lowering the TACKLE and AWARENESS ratings of D-linemen and increasing them for Linebackers. Because if (like mentioned above) those OLB's rated 90-94 were playing DE, the Madden gods give them all 99 ratings. They'd be somewhere between 92 and 97. There shouldn't be such a discrepancy when switching positions that basically do the same thing (most of the time).

There should be an option for more seasoned gamers to group players more generally (Linemen, Linebackers, and Defensive Backs) and you can mix and match them to your liking.

TheDelta 12-17-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draes34 (Post 2043179244)
For example:
No matter how good a guy like Dwight Freeney is as a pass rusher, he can't play DE in a 3-4. He would be switched to OLB. But if you do that in the game it severely drops his overall.
So, let's say his DE overall SHOULD be about 86-89. In a 4-3 his rating would go up 5-10 points, but in a 3-4 it would drop 5-10 points.

Yeah, but again, it doesn't really matter, because his OVR doesn't define how well he plays, his actually skills do. So yes, he would be worse as an OLB in terms of OVR rating, but he'd rush just as well in the game so while it bugs me too that they don't overhaul the OVR calculation, it's not like it's a game-breaker.

teebee 12-18-2011 03:57 PM

I moved Tebow to lead singer of "Our God is Awesome"

You should see the turnout in the congregation since he took over, UNREAL

bigbob 12-19-2011 01:48 AM

Another one that some people may over look because of the overall, but I was messing around yesterday with the Raiders and moved Pryor to tight end. I very rarely use this term, but it's necessary in this case. Beast. While using a set of All-Madden sliders, he created huge mismatches due to his 90 speed. While using "Ask Madden" (because I don't want to get caught cheating the computer by finding a money play), a tight end screen popped up and he went 65 yards for the score. I was shocked that moving him worked out as well as it did.

Driveshaft815 12-19-2011 10:24 AM

Change Jim Kleinsasser (Vikings 3rd string TE) to FB, and he goes up to an 80 OVR. One hell of a blocker.

KBLover 12-19-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDelta (Post 2043179846)
Yeah, but again, it doesn't really matter, because his OVR doesn't define how well he plays, his actually skills do. So yes, he would be worse as an OLB in terms of OVR rating, but he'd rush just as well in the game so while it bugs me too that they don't overhaul the OVR calculation, it's not like it's a game-breaker.

Yeah, ideally, Freeney would actually play worse as a 3-4 DE because 3-4 DE would actually play different than a 4-3 DE.

Freeney wouldn't do "Freeney things" like he does as a 4-3 (always try to gain the edge to exploit the T), but he would try to do 3-4 things (like forcing double teams on him or defending two gaps) which he couldn't do because his BSH and STR would be too low.

But then you put him as OLB - and he plays more like Ware. He's disruptive and dynamic pass rusher again, but then his coverage ability may come into consideration.

Likewise, someone like Ngata trying to be a 4-3 DE wouldn't work because he doesn't have the speed to get around the edge. He'd still be a good run stopper, but in a pure pass rush situation, you might have to sub in a better pass rusher. I mean, when the Ravens play a "4-3 look", it's Suggs as the "DE". There's a reason for that.

TheDelta 12-19-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbob (Post 2043185155)
Another one that some people may over look because of the overall, but I was messing around yesterday with the Raiders and moved Pryor to tight end. I very rarely use this term, but it's necessary in this case. Beast. While using a set of All-Madden sliders, he created huge mismatches due to his 90 speed. While using "Ask Madden" (because I don't want to get caught cheating the computer by finding a money play), a tight end screen popped up and he went 65 yards for the score. I was shocked that moving him worked out as well as it did.

He's a guy with 90 speed, good catch skills and a lot of power, so he's definitely a great slot receiver. But I'm hesitant to put him at TE because he can't block worth ****, I usually just move him to WR if I don't want to use him as a QB (again, it's too easy picking up guys with 90 speed that can catch, but getting a guy with 90 speed that can throw is a lot harder, so I don't really like moving him away from QB much)

bigbob 12-19-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDelta (Post 2043185987)
He's a guy with 90 speed, good catch skills and a lot of power, so he's definitely a great slot receiver. But I'm hesitant to put him at TE because he can't block worth ****, I usually just move him to WR if I don't want to use him as a QB (again, it's too easy picking up guys with 90 speed that can catch, but getting a guy with 90 speed that can throw is a lot harder, so I don't really like moving him away from QB much)

The reason I move him to tight end, even though he can't block, is I used it for the match up. Pryor vs a linebacker is a lot deadlier then him against a cornerback. If I really need someone to block, I can just bring Boss in and use him.

bigbob 12-19-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driveshaft815 (Post 2043185635)
Change Jim Kleinsasser (Vikings 3rd string TE) to FB, and he goes up to an 80 OVR. One hell of a blocker.

I do that as soon as I start up a Vikings Franchse because I can't stand D'Impero and not only does it move him to an 80, he doesn't retire for 2-3 more years when he usually retires right after the first season for me.

RogueHominid 12-19-2011 04:05 PM

This is more of a general principle than a specific case, but I've found that offensive lineman can get decent ratings boosts if you make sure your high speed and agility guys are at T and your stronger, slower, less agile guys are at C/G. The game often has players in less than ideal spots along the line, especially younger players and backups. Putting LT with higher strength at RT also helps boost ratings. I always make sure I do this early in my franchise.

JayD 12-19-2011 05:33 PM

need a Madden rating overhaul!!

Realitey 12-20-2011 07:18 AM

reggie bush from hb to wr boosts his rating to 86 one of my favorite position changes

Pandetta 12-20-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driveshaft815 (Post 2043185635)

The Sass-man was one of the best FB's in the league when he was younger (probably THE best at one point). Considering they have a good young TE and another aging vet backup, I don't know why they don't just use Kleinsasser as a FB again - he is far superior at that position in the real NFL too.

bigbob 12-20-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandetta (Post 2043189551)
The Sass-man was one of the best FB's in the league when he was younger (probably THE best at one point). Considering they have a good young TE and another aging vet backup, I don't know why they don't just use Kleinsasser as a FB again - he is far superior at that position in the real NFL too.

They have this year, just not as much as some of us would like. I'd much prefer a permanent shift to full back for Kleinsasser and the release of D'Imperio. I won't say that Kleinsasser is as good as Tony Richardson was, but I'd put him up there because of his blocking ability.

knighthawksfan 12-20-2011 09:03 PM

madden 12 was so trash this year omg smh

kiz5 12-21-2011 08:36 AM

Harvin at RB and Keith Bulluck to SS.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

nl15 12-21-2011 04:28 PM

After the first year Antoine Winfield was 89. I switched him to SS and he was 99!!! Holy crap!!

b22gamer 12-23-2011 11:22 AM

Martez Wilson - i believe he is an OLB - kid is nasty off the edge -goes up to about an 83 at DE

doominic77 12-24-2011 02:48 PM

NaVorro Bowman from MLB to SS, 87 to 91 but looking at he stats he would do the best ingame.