Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Most complete PF today (/forums/showthread.php?t=533129)

Find_the_Door 01-19-2012 08:34 PM

Most complete PF today

In my honest (unbiased) opinion Aldridge is the most "complete" Power Forward in today's game, he brings a high and low post presence/game and can rebound. He's got a very good rangy jumper and plays solid (good but not great) defense, he can also pass pretty well. How can he not make it?? . . .

Griffin is a better dunker/finisher
Griffin is a better ball handler
Bosh is better at the pick and pop
Love is a better rebounder
Love is a better passer
Dirk has a better jumper/high post game
Gasol has a better post game

. . . Aldridge is a better Power Forward (he does all of the above pretty well)

Not to mention everyone talks about Grffin's flash and everyone thinks he's the king of Alley-oops, Aldridge lead the league in points scored off of Alley-oops last season. I know he's in a "small market" but do you guys think he'll get an All-star birth this year?

SteelersFreak 01-20-2012 01:47 AM

Re: Most complete PF today

Eh, I think Dirk is right there with Aldridge, Dirk has the most versatile offensive game right now and he's a better defender than people give him credit for. I'd put Love in the conversation as well while Griffin still has a ways to go, especially with his outside game.

AlexBrady 01-20-2012 01:52 AM

Decent player, here is my handle on his game.

LaMarcus Aldridge

Ball Handling-2
Passing-2
Speed-3
Creating Own Shot-4
Spot Shooting-4
Shot Selection-3
Scoring-4
Effectiveness W/O Ball-2
Defensive Position-2
Defensive Anticipation-2
Strength-3
Offensive Rebounding-2
Defensive Rebounding-3
Consistency-3
Versatility-3
Durability-4

Total-46/64

LEGEND
1=Poor
2=Average
3=Good
4=Outstanding

His main competition might be Blake Griffin and Kevin Love. I had Griffin at 48/64 and Love at 44/64.
The most complete power forward I ever saw was Dave DeBusschere, and I had him at 56/64.

AnnihilusLivius 01-20-2012 09:53 AM

I would take Dirk over Aldridge any day in terms of offensive skills. However Dirk isn't getting any younger. But as far as I'm seeing right now, Kevin Love will be an amazing PF, he rebounds, blocks, scores alot, inside & outside. So in like 2/3 years we're gonna see Love being the best PF in the league, just my two cents.

RedSceptile 01-20-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexBrady (Post 2043286360)
Decent player, here is my handle on his game.

LaMarcus Aldridge

Ball Handling-2
Passing-2
Speed-3
Creating Own Shot-4
Spot Shooting-4
Shot Selection-3
Scoring-4
Effectiveness W/O Ball-2
Defensive Position-2
Defensive Anticipation-2
Strength-3
Offensive Rebounding-2
Defensive Rebounding-3
Consistency-3
Versatility-3
Durability-4

Total-45/64

LEGEND
1=Poor
2=Average
3=Good
4=Outstanding

His main competition might be Blake Griffin and Kevin Love. I had Griffin at 48/64 and Love at 44/64.
The most complete power forward I ever saw was Dave DeBusschere, and I had him at 56/64.

Hmmmmmm AlexBrady you think DeBusschere is more complete than Duncan, Garnett, McHale of the top of my head? I respect his body of work just want to hear what you think.

Yeah...THAT Guy 01-20-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSceptile (Post 2043286752)
Hmmmmmm AlexBrady you think DeBusschere is more complete than Duncan, Garnett, McHale of the top of my head? I respect his body of work just want to hear what you think.

I didn't get to see McHale when he played, but from everything I've read, wasn't he pretty much incredible scoring in the low post but a liability in pretty much every other area of the game? I could see Duncan though. One of the greatest players of all-time right there.

snowfish 01-20-2012 12:48 PM

Does Zach Randolph get any consideration?

AlexBrady 01-20-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSceptile (Post 2043286752)

DeBusschere was a rangy power forward, 6'6" 235, he also had the strength of a center. Shooting range out to 25 feet, which created space for his power drives. Snappy passer and devestating screener, excellent at using his full weight to box out. The best man to man defender I've ever seen (his strength gives him an edge over Rodman). His speciality was shoving his chest into the opponent's face all game long, the only way to combat this was to run very tight screen/rolls to create shooting space for a guard. If he had a weakness, he wasn't a jet-setter.

Duncan and McHale were post-driven scorers, defenders, and rebounders. They are right there with DeBusschere. Garnett was a spidery defender and a jump-shooter, but he lacked power.