Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Could Kickstarter Be Used to Fund Niche Sports Games? (/forums/showthread.php?t=543322)

RaychelSnr 03-20-2012 04:04 PM

Could Kickstarter Be Used to Fund Niche Sports Games?

Tim Schafer's Double Fine Production team (Psychonauts, Brutal Legend) wanted to make a new point-and-click adventure game.

Knowing that major game publishers would be hesitant to fund a new release in what's considered a "dated," arguably "dead" genre, Double Fine turned to its fans to subsidize some of their development costs.

Enter Kickstarter, "The world's largest funding program for creative projects." Kickstarter allows game developers to pitch an idea, set a fundraising goal for how much money it will take to get the project released, then see if fans on the Internet are willing to donate money to get the game launched.

Read More - Could Kickstarter Be Used to Fund Niche Sports Games?

sactown_13 03-20-2012 04:27 PM

would love to see this utilized for a new college hoops game. 2k8 is a good game just the controls are dated to me.

brza37 03-20-2012 05:11 PM

Oh hell yeah. I'll help fund a new College Hoops 2k.

AndyAndAj32 03-20-2012 05:14 PM

I would be willing to spend about $100 to see a new college hoops 2k

maddguuns 03-20-2012 05:17 PM

Not only would I be willing to pledge for a full-on management mode football game (a la Head Coach)...I'm at the point in my life when I'd give up the career and do this. Kickstarter has worked for a couple of my friends, and I am legitimately considering this if, and when, the NFL license is available again. I hate EA.

davefmurray 03-20-2012 05:29 PM

The biggest thing with Kickstarter is converting fans to actual backers. The conversion percentage is so low that it is starting to turn off more indie devs.

In total, our project got over 1 million views. ONE MILLION. We finished in the top 100 in traffic, ever. We fielded 3000 emails. On and on and on, etc. Double Fine's stats are just mind-blowing.

With Double Fine and the recent Wasteland 2, Kickstarter has flipped upside down. These two projects are coming from full-on production studio environments and have zero 'indie' roots. Kickstarter used to disallow 'non-indie' projects and they have now progressed into it's current process of approving projects. Project success rates are at an all-time low.

I am ALL FOR Kickstarter projects, but without a super soild PR team, you are in for some serious self-promotion and not to mention a huge time investment.

jsg 03-21-2012 12:26 AM

I like the kickstarter idea. Games that the fans want and the developers can make with total freedom is awesome. I definitely would support a college hoops game.

user_pick 03-21-2012 01:17 AM

I would support a college hoops game.