Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   My Player mode - Stealing/Speed (/forums/showthread.php?t=547395)

makav3ll1 04-14-2012 01:32 PM

My Player mode - Stealing/Speed

Is it just me or is stealing and base running absolutely ******** in this game? Im playing my player mode, and I had 60 speed 60 acceleration to start out with, I decided to hex edit my game to see how much better it would be with 90/90 speed/acceleration. I still cannot steal bases, I seem to run just as fast as I did with 60 speed, and its insane. Stealing bases in my player seems impossible, I get good leads, but your guy starts out like a snail, I dont get it.

Yeats 04-14-2012 03:07 PM

Re: My Player mode - Stealing/Speed

I personally like the fact stealing is so difficult. I don't even attempt a steal unless I have a max lead with a guy who has at least an 80's Speed rating. The type of pitch makes a big difference as well, tough to steal if the CPU P throws a fastball for example.

With the hex editing, do you mind sharing any tips? Are the various ratings clearly labeled in the hex editor, or is it something you just stumbled upon? I tried using Moddingway's My Player tool to select a new player for the mode, but I can't get it to work. So I'm back to finding other ways to edit/tweak my player.

makav3ll1 04-14-2012 03:49 PM

I used a modding tool called MLB 2k12 SE - Cant be simpler.

Krower 04-14-2012 06:02 PM

stealing is too easy to me. I stole 115 bases in my second year. When my speed was 60 it was hard. WHen it got to 70, in my first year in the Majors, I stole 40 bases, and in my second year it started at 80 and I stole 115. I was caught 36 times in my first year, and 21 times in my second.

This is what I do. I try to remember which Pitcher Has a slower windup. For Example. CC Sabathia has a slow one. I take a 4 step lead and try to time it so I just right before he pitches. Sometimes I will count in my head. If I am too slow on my jump, I tend to make it against Sabathia because of his windup. Now I can't remember the name, but there was one pitcher the would throw to home so fast that even with a 91 speed, I would still get picked off at 2nd.

Check out the other teams catcher before you start the game and see what is arm str is. Also, Usually the count matters. If you have an 2-0 count, odds are the pitcher is going to try to get a strike and usually with a fastball. So don't steal. If its 0-2, then usually the pitcher is going to pitch a ball, lots of times with an off speed or breaking ball. Plus, check out the pitchers stats. Someone like Strasburg has some major speed so the ball is going to get to home plate much faster than someone that pitches in the 80's. You can see the speed of the pitcher every at bat when it gives you your goals.

Here is the major tip I can give you though. It is easier to steal 3rd in this game than it is 2nd. Because you can tell when the pitcher is going to pitch. It may be an exploit, but maybe not. When on first, you can take 4 step lead, and you still have to wait a few seconds before the pitch. But on second, you take a two step lead and the pitcher almost immediately pitches. Sometimes after you first get to second, on the next pitch, he takes longer, but after that first pitch, when it shows you on second and you can take your two step lead, count to 1 and steal. Odds are he is going to pitch the ball.

Also, and this is kind of cheap and I am going to raise the pick off, but if you attempt to steal and you don't get a good jump with the timing, turn around and go back to first right away. You will get back every time before the ball gets there. Then give it a go again on the next pitch until you get the perfect jump. Again, I am going to raise the pick off of the opposing team because its too easy to stop and go back. The reason I left it is because after stealing 40 and getting caught for an additional 36 I figured I would leave everything the same. Then the next year stealing 110 and only getting caught 21 seems off. Plus I could have stole more, but I didn't want to over do it.