Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Correlation between Madden and NCAA (/forums/showthread.php?t=548172)

sebennayx 04-18-2012 09:32 PM

Correlation between Madden and NCAA

With all the newly released information about NCAA 2013, do we know how much of the new gameplay in NCAA (end of psychic DBs, see the ball to play the ball, updated passing trajectory, etc) will transfer to Madden? Are gameplay technologies typically shared between the two games?

Official_Mole 04-18-2012 09:45 PM

Re: Correlation between Madden and NCAA

Based on last year with the additions of the tackling system and the zone defense AI we can make the assumption that Madden NFL 13 should have some of those features.

Both games had the ball trajectory problems

Both games had some sort of Linebacker swatting advantage

Both games had long QB windups

Both games the defense would makes plays without looking

Based on those issues and the improvement made with NCAA I can feel pretty good Madden should get the same treatment.

Only1LT 04-19-2012 09:06 AM

In the playbook vid, Larry Richart said that the team works on both games and then tweaks each to make NCAA feel more like College ball and Madden more like NFL ball. So I would think it is a very safe bet that just about every improvement will make its way into both.

roadman 04-19-2012 09:10 AM

And based on some NCAA responses, I'm sure the Madden side will hear, it's about time, it should have been done years ago.

True, very true, but nothing you say or do can change that, now.

kingsofthevalley 04-19-2012 09:28 AM

The base game is essentially the same and always has been actually. The central gameplay team works on both titles. It baffles me how someone always says that one game is leagues better than the other. Really lol?

Only1LT 04-19-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley (Post 2043584537)
The base game is essentially the same and always has been actually. The central gameplay team works on both titles. It baffles me how someone always says that one game is leagues better than the other. Really lol?

Agree with the sentiment of this post, but to be fair, in recent years there have been a few arguably major additions that were in one and not the other. Off the top of my head, Real time Lighting, HDR, Pro-Tak, Run/Pass Commit, different audible systems, etc...

Overall, the games are pretty much the same and always have been, but I understand someone being curious if certain additions will only appear in one game, because there has been a precedent set in that regard. Based on what Larry Richart said though, I don't see that being an issue this year.

The idea that one is great, and the other terrible, or even that one is appreciably better than the other, has always been highly dubious.

Senator Palmer 04-19-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley (Post 2043584537)

The devil is in the details. I personally had completely different experiences playing NCAA 11 vs. Madden 11 out of the box.

Route Mirroring:
In NCAA 11, I didn't even attempt to throw a dig route because the DB ran the route before the receiver every time. Not exagerrating either. In Madden 11, from the demo on, I could time a deep dig route into the the window behind the linebacker, but in front of the DB.

Tackling:
No such thing as a solo tackle in Madden 11 out of the box. You had 175 lb. receivers who could catch a drag and bowl over 6 defensive players to break a touchdown. In NCAA, I found tackling almost too easy. Once I learned my gaps, I racked 'em up with any linebacker no matter the ratings.

Line Interactions:
While both games had the win or lose paradigm when it came to blocking, and there was no real engaged player movement, the lines in NCAA were better tuned. In NCAA, a dominant line played to their ratings. They were tough to run against, and got pressure off the edges. It was pure joy dropping into a zone as a linebacker and having my highest rated defensive end get sacks and hits on the QB no matter what side he played on. In Madden 11, it wasn't anywhere close to the same, especially if your best end was playing on the right. No matter what he was rated, he was invisible if he was playing right end.

Weight:
NCAA 11 players didn't have any real weight when you were controlling them. Madden 11 had the locomotion that was tuned a little more realistically so that you couldn't waste movements the way you could in NCAA. I really felt the difference when I was controlling a linebacker in both games.

And that's not even touching on the other things that LT pointed out like lighting, and the different audible systems -- which were better in NCAA in my opinion. When you went no huddle in NCAA, you got access to your entire playbook instead of just the few audibles in Madden. NCAA had keys and gameplan options where you could more finely direct the behavior of your players. NCAA had out of game formation subs before Madden. In NCAA, before the tuners started messing with the game, if you hit a QB enough, you could rattle him and he'd start throwing inaccurate balls. Not dumb pick six's, but actual throws you see from a nervous QB, like low balls in the dirt, overthrows out of bounds, I'd even see them miss wide open receivers. I 'll stop there, but there were more.

You would think that because both games are built on the same base, you would get the same experience, but that hasn't been the case recently, and I don't expect that to change this year, as a few CD members have hinted in a roundabout way. I think it's safe to say the big stuff like passing trajectories and read and react defense will wind up in both, but beyond that and how each feature will actually be tuned is guesswork at this point.

Big FN Deal 04-19-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senator Palmer (Post 2043584853)
And that's not even touching on the other things that LT pointed out like lighting, and the different audible systems -- which were better in NCAA in my opinion. When you went no huddle in NCAA, you got access to your entire playbook instead of just the few audibles in Madden. NCAA had keys and gameplan options where you could more finely direct the behavior of your players. NCAA had out of game formation subs before Madden. In NCAA, before the tuners started messing with the game, if you hit a QB enough, you could rattle him and he'd start throwing inaccurate balls. Not dumb pick six's, but actual throws you see from a nervous QB, like low balls in the dirt, overthrows out of bounds, I'd even see them miss wide open receivers. I 'll stop there, but there were more.

Great points but with the bold I don't think having the entire playbook available for no huddle or any audible system is better. Correct me if I am wrong but in real life when utilizing no huddle, QB's would not have use of the entire playbook from the LOS mainly because they would be limited by whatever personnel they currently have on the field and by the adjustments they are prepared to make.

I would think when using the no huddle or just audibles in general, the QB would be limited to the original 1-2 other plays practiced with the original play call or given last time they huddled up and the hot read. Not to mention, I am not even sure allowing ALL the QB's in football video games to run no huddle and call audibles at will is even realistic because not every QB has the trust from the coach or ability to call plays at the LOS, much less utilize the entire playbook. Some lesser QB's would get benched for checking out of the play call from the sideline at will. lol. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-...e-1996-Packers

I just thought about how utilizing QB AWR to effect how much adjusting each QB can do in NCAA/Madden at the LOS. So a low AWR QB would be stuck running the exact play called from the sideline/playcall screen, even if no huddling. However, a high AWR QB would be given more flexibility at the LOS with 1-3 extra plays attached to the original play call, most likely from the same formation. The higher the AWR the more extra plays/audibles attached up to 3.

I think this is how it used to be in Madden, with each formation having a set number of customized audibles attached so it shouldn't be too hard to add that back with QB AWR based limitations.

I am kind of surprised Larry Richart hasn't addressed this for both games, given he is a former Florida Gator QB.