Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   nba 2k13 everything Defense (/forums/showthread.php?t=582979)

kolanji 10-04-2012 01:56 PM

nba 2k13 everything Defense

this thread is all about the defense and the what to do and not to do :

defense this year is very exciting and credible vs nba 2k12, but am sure many ppl are still trying to get a better feel and understanding of it..so am gonna point out a few things that might be new to some and for others just refreshing the obvious.

• playing defense is just not about using the left stick and modifier to try and neutralized offensive players movements..it is best used in conjunction with the right stick simultaneously
  • remember back in this iteration of 2k is the cut off ability to quickly shimmy to the left or right and stop player movements in their tracks
  • refrain from spamming the steal button and try to use it only while a dribble animation is playing out
  • the ability to shadow players to left and right changing your stance is back...use it to take away dominant hand of offensive player or to shade them off to your BIGS or where help defense is waiting
  • try not to jump as much trying to block shots in the paint try mixing it up using the right stick and use hands up animations and positioning tactics...even more so if your the last line of defense; like the center, u don't wanna leave your feet...
  • not all shot blockers are chased down shot blockers...... speed and quickness is back in NBA 2k13 and its useless to have Tim Duncan sprinting behind D wade trying to get the block from behind...what u end up doing is getting Duncan fatigued and maybe a simple foul and cause and and 1 situation....just let it go!!!!!
  • know the limits of the player your using to play defense don't push up with a player u know is laterally slower that the offensive player u will get burn every time,unless your playing him for the shot and want him to dribble and put the ball down, and again used the change stance ability and at least try to take his dominant side away
  • try not to double team a player too excessively...double teaming in the middle of the court or at the top of the 3 point line is foolish...try doing it near the sidelines and baseline and used the lines as a defender
  • don't be afraid to go to the match ups menu and sag off players who can't shoot to save a life and play tight on those that can shoot, now your still at the mercy of the defensive player's defensive awareness if your not using them but defense is a give and take notion
  • remember to hold down the modifier button L button after shots to box out shooters...playing great defense ends with a rebound anything other than that is bad defense nonetheless if u don't get the rebound
feel free to add or refute

michael785 10-04-2012 02:40 PM

Re: nba 2k13 everything Defense

good info thanks guy

hoopsjones84 10-04-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolanji (Post 2044268913)
this thread is all about the defense and the what to do and not to do :

defense this year is very exciting and credible vs nba 2k12, but am sure many ppl are still trying to get a better feel and understanding of it..so am gonna point out a few things that might be new to some and for others just refreshing the obvious.

• playing defense is just not about using the left stick and modifier to try and neutralized offensive players movements..it is best used in conjunction with the right stick simultaneously
  • remember back in this iteration of 2k is the cut off ability to quickly shimmy to the left or right and stop player movements in their tracks
  • refrain from spamming the steal button and try to use it only while a dribble animation is playing out
  • the ability to shadow players to left and right changing your stance is back...use it to take away dominant hand of offensive player or to shade them off to your BIGS or where help defense is waiting
  • try not to jump as much trying to block shots in the paint try mixing it up using the right stick and use hands up animations and positioning tactics...even more so if your the last line of defense; like the center, u don't wanna leave your feet...
  • not all shot blockers are chased down shot blockers...... speed and quickness is back in NBA 2k13 and its useless to have Tim Duncan sprinting behind D wade trying to get the block from behind...what u end up doing is getting Duncan fatigued and maybe a simple foul and cause and and 1 situation....just let it go!!!!!
  • know the limits of the player your using to play defense don't push up on player u know is laterally slower that the offensive player u will get burn every time,unless your playing him for the shot and want him to dribble and put the ball down, and again used the change stance ability and at least try to take his dominant side away
  • try not to double team a player too excessively...double teaming in the middle of the court or at the top of the 3 point line is foolish...try doing it near the sidelines and baseline and used the lines as a defender
  • don't be afraid to go to the match ups menu and sag off players who can't shoot to save a life and play tight on those that can shoot, now your still at the liberty of the defensive player's defensive awareness if your not using them but defense is a give and take notion
feel free to add or refute

another thing is rebounding. first few games i was gettin TOO heated because i could not rebound for nothin on the defensive end. if you actually take time out to control your guy and HIT the L TRIGGER, you get better results because you are actually boxing out. it helps out and it feels rewarding to me when im able to get a stop and grab that rebound

Inter1 10-04-2012 04:43 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. This needs to be stickied ASAP! Please give us more tips on D!

djsider2 10-04-2012 04:52 PM

Any tips on actually shot blocking? I had some guy yesterday block a lot of my attempts easily, but I either press the button too late or too soon...

Also, do you know if the pre-match defensive settings screen works or do we always need to goto pause menu?

Dirk504 10-04-2012 05:00 PM

How do I set it so the cpu doesn't automatically pick my players defensive matchups? Example: If Kobe starts scoring a lot, the cpu will automatically scheme for me to double team. I like to set my own, but they keep changing it.

Nathan_OS 10-04-2012 05:04 PM

Good Thread OP

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

shadio5 10-04-2012 05:12 PM

the reason why i think im so good at deffense is because ever since 2k3, i have never used the steal button when i play against the AI....i did this method because it gave me more of a challenge, and for some weird reason all 2k games supported my way of playing......maybe because of their type of coding i guess....

i see now that steals are now no longer that successfull unless if people catch them in the air while passing

My main thing on deffense is to keep the ball out of the main players hands, period

VC/2k sports fan