Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   nba 2k13 everything Defense (/forums/showthread.php?t=582979)

kolanji 10-04-2012 01:56 PM

nba 2k13 everything Defense

this thread is all about the defense and the what to do and not to do :

defense this year is very exciting and credible vs nba 2k12, but am sure many ppl are still trying to get a better feel and understanding of it..so am gonna point out a few things that might be new to some and for others just refreshing the obvious.

• playing defense is just not about using the left stick and modifier to try and neutralized offensive players movements..it is best used in conjunction with the right stick simultaneously
  • remember back in this iteration of 2k is the cut off ability to quickly shimmy to the left or right and stop player movements in their tracks
  • refrain from spamming the steal button and try to use it only while a dribble animation is playing out
  • the ability to shadow players to left and right changing your stance is back...use it to take away dominant hand of offensive player or to shade them off to your BIGS or where help defense is waiting
  • try not to jump as much trying to block shots in the paint try mixing it up using the right stick and use hands up animations and positioning tactics...even more so if your the last line of defense; like the center, u don't wanna leave your feet...
  • not all shot blockers are chased down shot blockers...... speed and quickness is back in NBA 2k13 and its useless to have Tim Duncan sprinting behind D wade trying to get the block from behind...what u end up doing is getting Duncan fatigued and maybe a simple foul and cause and and 1 situation....just let it go!!!!!
  • know the limits of the player your using to play defense don't push up with a player u know is laterally slower that the offensive player u will get burn every time,unless your playing him for the shot and want him to dribble and put the ball down, and again used the change stance ability and at least try to take his dominant side away
  • try not to double team a player too excessively...double teaming in the middle of the court or at the top of the 3 point line is foolish...try doing it near the sidelines and baseline and used the lines as a defender
  • don't be afraid to go to the match ups menu and sag off players who can't shoot to save a life and play tight on those that can shoot, now your still at the mercy of the defensive player's defensive awareness if your not using them but defense is a give and take notion
  • remember to hold down the modifier button L button after shots to box out shooters...playing great defense ends with a rebound anything other than that is bad defense nonetheless if u don't get the rebound
feel free to add or refute

michael785 10-04-2012 02:40 PM

Re: nba 2k13 everything Defense

good info thanks guy

hoopsjones84 10-04-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolanji (Post 2044268913)
this thread is all about the defense and the what to do and not to do :

defense this year is very exciting and credible vs nba 2k12, but am sure many ppl are still trying to get a better feel and understanding of it..so am gonna point out a few things that might be new to some and for others just refreshing the obvious.

• playing defense is just not about using the left stick and modifier to try and neutralized offensive players movements..it is best used in conjunction with the right stick simultaneously
  • remember back in this iteration of 2k is the cut off ability to quickly shimmy to the left or right and stop player movements in their tracks
  • refrain from spamming the steal button and try to use it only while a dribble animation is playing out
  • the ability to shadow players to left and right changing your stance is back...use it to take away dominant hand of offensive player or to shade them off to your BIGS or where help defense is waiting
  • try not to jump as much trying to block shots in the paint try mixing it up using the right stick and use hands up animations and positioning tactics...even more so if your the last line of defense; like the center, u don't wanna leave your feet...
  • not all shot blockers are chased down shot blockers...... speed and quickness is back in NBA 2k13 and its useless to have Tim Duncan sprinting behind D wade trying to get the block from behind...what u end up doing is getting Duncan fatigued and maybe a simple foul and cause and and 1 situation....just let it go!!!!!
  • know the limits of the player your using to play defense don't push up on player u know is laterally slower that the offensive player u will get burn every time,unless your playing him for the shot and want him to dribble and put the ball down, and again used the change stance ability and at least try to take his dominant side away
  • try not to double team a player too excessively...double teaming in the middle of the court or at the top of the 3 point line is foolish...try doing it near the sidelines and baseline and used the lines as a defender
  • don't be afraid to go to the match ups menu and sag off players who can't shoot to save a life and play tight on those that can shoot, now your still at the liberty of the defensive player's defensive awareness if your not using them but defense is a give and take notion
feel free to add or refute

another thing is rebounding. first few games i was gettin TOO heated because i could not rebound for nothin on the defensive end. if you actually take time out to control your guy and HIT the L TRIGGER, you get better results because you are actually boxing out. it helps out and it feels rewarding to me when im able to get a stop and grab that rebound

Inter1 10-04-2012 04:43 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. This needs to be stickied ASAP! Please give us more tips on D!

djsider2 10-04-2012 04:52 PM

Any tips on actually shot blocking? I had some guy yesterday block a lot of my attempts easily, but I either press the button too late or too soon...

Also, do you know if the pre-match defensive settings screen works or do we always need to goto pause menu?

Dirk504 10-04-2012 05:00 PM

How do I set it so the cpu doesn't automatically pick my players defensive matchups? Example: If Kobe starts scoring a lot, the cpu will automatically scheme for me to double team. I like to set my own, but they keep changing it.

Nathan_OS 10-04-2012 05:04 PM

Good Thread OP

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

shadio5 10-04-2012 05:12 PM

the reason why i think im so good at deffense is because ever since 2k3, i have never used the steal button when i play against the AI....i did this method because it gave me more of a challenge, and for some weird reason all 2k games supported my way of playing......maybe because of their type of coding i guess....

i see now that steals are now no longer that successfull unless if people catch them in the air while passing

My main thing on deffense is to keep the ball out of the main players hands, period

VC/2k sports fan

hoopsjones84 10-04-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsider2 (Post 2044269761)
Any tips on actually shot blocking? I had some guy yesterday block a lot of my attempts easily, but I either press the button too late or too soon...

Also, do you know if the pre-match defensive settings screen works or do we always need to goto pause menu?

IN THE CONTROLS SETTINGS you can choose shot contest to never, when pressing LT, or always..if always the comp will contest most shots for u

Ramboooo 10-04-2012 06:35 PM

My fairly obvious tips (mainly for blacktop online)

- training camp / my player drills for defense

- learn the tendencies of the user -- when does he pass, when does he shoot, does he like to fake a lot or go straight for the hoop, what are his weaknesses, etc

- power up on all the defensive attributes for better control, and all physical attributes like speed and quickness to be able to keep up with players.

kolanji 10-04-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopsjones84 (Post 2044269560)
another thing is rebounding. first few games i was gettin TOO heated because i could not rebound for nothin on the defensive end. if you actually take time out to control your guy and HIT the L TRIGGER, you get better results because you are actually boxing out. it helps out and it feels rewarding to me when im able to get a stop and grab that rebound

YEA VERY GOOD POINT WILL EDIT MY POST AND ADD THIS

vannwolfhawk 10-04-2012 06:44 PM

Great post! I agree with every point you stated... Right stick is crucial in more ways than one...

kolanji 10-04-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk504 (Post 2044269799)
How do I set it so the cpu doesn't automatically pick my players defensive matchups? Example: If Kobe starts scoring a lot, the cpu will automatically scheme for me to double team. I like to set my own, but they keep changing it.

am not sure if i know what u mean but remember at the start of every game online or offline the option to push start and change starting line ups and defensive matchups before the game even gets on the way

Smirkin Dirk 10-16-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk (Post 2044270282)
Great post! I agree with every point you stated... Right stick is crucial in more ways than one...

1. I use it to jump to the left or right.

2. I point it towards a jumpshooter to contest.

3. I know I can use it as a hands up mechnaism to block/deflect passes.

If there's anything Im missing, let us know.

iwiniwin 10-16-2012 04:07 AM

on defense the right stick also help to position your body for big time blocks and chase down swats ...this game is so real

Smirkin Dirk 10-16-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwiniwin (Post 2044322146)
on defense the right stick also help to position your body for big time blocks and chase down swats ...this game is so real

How? I havent picked up on this

The 24th Letter 10-16-2012 07:18 AM

I've gone entire games without pressing 'Y' and still avg around 4-5 blocks a game.

LT, LT, LT- very powerful trigger...especially if you leave 'auto contest/ intense D'

You'd be surprised how effective beating players to their spot and simply holding LT is...

Even directly under basket, after originally thinking it was overpowered....lately, just angling and holding LT has resulted in a contact animation or block.

and I just realized I've been playing on All Star/Default...(explains a lot) lol. Even so, I've seen a HUGE jump in my defense since adopting this tactic.

I only use 'Y' in help situations or situations where I have superb positioning...

EarvGotti 10-16-2012 10:30 AM

Go to your controller settings and put Defensive Assist to 0. It gives me full control of my player on defense. I be feeling like Gary The Glove Payton.

raiderphantom 10-16-2012 10:35 AM

Good tips. Fundamental defense always prevails. I gotta implement the RS in I guess and use the LT method more as well like the above poster said. My defense can be suffocating at times but against users it's tough the way a lot of these semi contested threes go in. If I actually get a hand up in their face it misses but I can be inches from them and they can pull up like its nothing. That, plus the constant fast breaking and the fact that I can't seem to ever break up anything in the passing lane against a user even when I'm anticipating it makes it tough.

Optik 10-16-2012 10:57 AM

- When someone is dribbling near the sideline, try to push them out of bounds by making contact with the ball handler and then pushing the left stick towards the sideline. Sometimes you'll get called for the blocking foul.

- I think the right stick is good for blocking contact layups. All you need to do is push the right stick towards the ball.

- I think shading is a waste of time online (well as long as you're playing MyTeam or Quick Ranked), your opponent plays so fast that you won't have time to make the shade animation and defend them properly. If they are near the sidelines I just direct them to the baseline, seeing as it's easier to run out of bounds this year (which was supposed to be a feature last year).

- I think you should just have contest shots left at Intense D because directing the right stick at the shooter just slows you down, I also think pointing the right stick at a moving ball handler is a waste of time too, as it's basically redundant. There is no rational reason why you should defend a moving ball handler better with LT and right stick than just LT. I can only imagine that it could have a placebo effect, but LT seems to do the job just fine.

- The problem I'm having with defense at the moment is that there is no structure to it. I'd prefer something consistent, like a rules-based system but when I finally think I've got part of the defense down it just changes. In MyTeam, for example, I've gotten use to having to defend Korver in 80% of my matches, and before I used to just set def settings at deny ball/tight for both onball and offball and then let the CPU defend him, but he would still manage to drain threes when Thabo Sefolosha was stuck to him like glue. Then I decided to just intervene when Korver had the ball and force him to drive, but he will still knock down fast break threes. Now I'm just playing off ball D on Korver and sticking to him at all times, but still getting mixed results. I have no way of defending the fast break three because my players just collapse into the paint. Playing on ball 100% and just switching when necessary is playing with fire when Korver's on the floor.

- Having trouble with people who just try to rush the pain constantly with Rivers and then do a lead pass to their center. They don't need a pick or anything. It's ridiculous.

doctorhay53 10-16-2012 11:08 AM

My thoughts about steals...

Don't forget the right stick 'flick' moves to jump in passing lanes.

There is usually a window after a player receives the ball where he is not really defending it well, either in his dribble or just holding it. If you know you have a player who is a good thief against a player who is weak in ball security this is the easiest time to get a steal IMO. For instance, Lebron usually starts at the 4, and is up against guys who stand no chance if you try to steal when they aren't protecting the ball.

Lastly, the 'take charge' button is very fluid. Just hold B and get in the way... you can also flop! Van Gundy will hate you forever.

sreckless 10-16-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optik (Post 2044322874)
- Having trouble with people who just try to rush the pain constantly with Rivers and then do a lead pass to their center. They don't need a pick or anything. It's ridiculous.

The lead pass to the paint is back with a vengeance this year. It's worse than it has been since 2k9 or 2k10.

Even though I like playing on-ball defense, this has forced me back to playing off-ball because it's the only way to have a chance to slow this down unless I want to play zone.

Sometimes you get called for a foul just by standing in place with your hands up as the offensive player barrels into you. Extremely frustrating to the point where I may have to put the game down for awhile if I can't figure out how to counter it.

sword1986 10-16-2012 11:16 AM

What about the CPU defense? how can we make it better?

BezO 10-16-2012 11:27 AM

Anyone using the quick defensive options like concentrate on stars, close the paint, ect? Any comments on how these affect other coaching settings like help defense, p&r defense, how tight to defend a player, etc?

ruxpinke 10-16-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreckless (Post 2044322938)
The lead pass to the paint is back with a vengeance this year. It's worse than it has been since 2k9 or 2k10.

Even though I like playing on-ball defense, this has forced me back to playing off-ball because it's the only way to have a chance to slow this down unless I want to play zone.

Sometimes you get called for a foul just by standing in place with your hands up as the offensive player barrels into you. Extremely frustrating to the point where I may have to put the game down for awhile if I can't figure out how to counter it.

Yea ive had a hard time stopping this. Frustrating when you work hard to stop the PG with on ball defense only to have him dump to a center or forward, who my CPU teammate has fallen asleep on. So you work hard on defense to deny a drive (no small feat this year), and then boom, layup dunk from center.

The 24th Letter 10-16-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optik (Post 2044322874)

- The problem I'm having with defense at the moment is that there is no structure to it. I'd prefer something consistent, like a rules-based system but when I finally think I've got part of the defense down it just changes. In MyTeam, for example, I've gotten use to having to defend Korver in 80% of my matches, and before I used to just set def settings at deny ball/tight for both onball and offball and then let the CPU defend him, but he would still manage to drain threes when Thabo Sefolosha was stuck to him like glue. Then I decided to just intervene when Korver had the ball and force him to drive, but he will still knock down fast break threes. Now I'm just playing off ball D on Korver and sticking to him at all times, but still getting mixed results. I have no way of defending the fast break three because my players just collapse into the paint. Playing on ball 100% and just switching when necessary is playing with fire when Korver's on the floor.

Some of this is the fact that online is set to Pro/ Default, plain and simple. I don't think you'll ever get any consistency at this level. All that said ive had success turning up my defensive pressure coaching slider for teams with three point threats..it puts your players in a good position to defend as soon as they catch the ball at the three point line...try it, it really does work.

This does put them in a position to blow by you of they are quick enough though....so pick your poison. As far as players force dribbling through the lane, don't forget to press your steal button when you successfully cut them off...this will lead to a steal or force them to pick up their dribble alot of the time...seems like ALOT of people don't use this...

BornBetter 10-16-2012 11:49 AM

Here is my tip on defending the paint:

Do not touch the left and right triggers. What I mean by this is if you want to attempt a block, just press triangle/Y without holding down L2/R2 or LT/RT.

Also, I hold down the right-stick so my player will put their arms up. If you point them in the direction of the ball handler with the left stick you will contest the shot. Again, don't touch the triggers -- they seem to cancel out any sort of defense like blocking and contesting shots.

MilesTeg 10-16-2012 12:48 PM

Can someone help me understand with something? I want to understand how to deal with bad interior passes as the off ball defender.

As in, you're in the passing lane, in real life it should clearly not be a possible pass but I seem to never actually steal it.

Am I supposed to use the right stick? Time the steal button perfectly?

I'd appreciate the help!

BornBetter 10-16-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilesTeg (Post 2044323289)
Can someone help me understand with something? I want to understand how to deal with bad interior passes as the off ball defender.

As in, you're in the passing lane, in real life it should clearly not be a possible pass but I seem to never actually steal it.

I'd appreciate the help!

I'm not sure if this affects what you're talking about, but when I play against people on MyTEAM I set defensive help to 100. I also use the right stick to put my hands up. I'm not sure which one affects passing lanes, but I get a ton of steals if the person I'm playing against tries spamming passes into the post. Even when I'm not controlling a specific player in the post they will throw up their arms and deflect the pass -- sometimes they'll even catch it.

I have not figured out if it has to do with using the right stick or if its the defensive help setting though.

sreckless 10-16-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilesTeg (Post 2044323289)

Yeah I've been trying to work on this. I play certain people who I know exactly how and when they are going to throw that lead pass, but even when you time the steal button (seemingly) perfectly, the pass gets through most of the time.

I'm beginning to think the success of this pass is almost entirely ratings based. I feel that most big men's steal ratings are probably just set too low to consistently bother that pass.

Quote:

Do not touch the left and right triggers. What I mean by this is if you want to attempt a block, just press triangle/Y without holding down L2/R2 or LT/RT.

Also, I hold down the right-stick so my player will put their arms up. If you point them in the direction of the ball handler with the left stick you will contest the shot. Again, don't touch the triggers -- they seem to cancel out any sort of defense like blocking and contesting shots.
If this is true, then Visual Concepts is sending a mixed message, since the left trigger is supposed to automatically contest shots this year (at least on default settings).

Sovartus 10-16-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornBetter (Post 2044323062)

LT is is intense defense/auto-contest and has its purpose. This isn't the best advice in my opinion because the auto-contest is extremely effective, especially online due to lag. If you are holding LT and the contest is triggered, then you press Y or use the RS, it will cancel the auto-contest and issue your input which takes a second. Auto-contest takes the guess work out of it and relies more on the player's tendencies than your reactions to the delayed visual on your screen. It is even more delayed online due to lag so the auto-contest really help combat that issue.

Sent from my EVO.... 4 real.

ghettogeeksta 10-16-2012 01:36 PM

My only real complaint about the defense is the lack on contact on certain dunk and layup animations and defenders not attempting to defend or even react to some layups and dunks. To improve this a little I set.....

All-Star settings Simulation
Driving contact shot freq: 100
Inside contact shot freq: 100
Help Defense: 85
Shot Blocking: 90
Defensive Awareness: 75

Their is still a lot of dunk and layup animations that don't trigger contact or a reaction, but it's better than the default sliders.

BornBetter 10-16-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovartus (Post 2044323442)
LT is is intense defense/auto-contest and has its purpose. This isn't the best advice in my opinion because the auto-contest is extremely effective, especially online due to lag. If you are holding LT and the contest is triggered, then you press Y or use the RS, it will cancel the auto-contest and issue your input which takes a second. Auto-contest takes the guess work out of it and relies more on the player's tendencies than your reactions to the delayed visual on your screen. It is even more delayed online due to lag so the auto-contest really help combat that issue.

Sent from my EVO.... 4 real.

I should've mentioned that I have auto-contest set to manual. I hate auto-contest with a passion because it makes the player go into some stupid animation that I don't want them doing. I like having full control over my players.

ghettogeeksta 10-16-2012 01:42 PM

Does anybody know how to bump the cutter on off ball defense.

RandyBass 10-16-2012 01:48 PM

This is really more of a strategy thing, but I find double team to be useful if a guy is lighting you up, just to get the ball out of his hands. If you time it right, as time is winding down on the shot clock, it can really be a useful tactic.

Also, for double teams in general, it helps to see where the double team is coming from. If you see that the double team is going to leave you exposed, call it off so you don't get burned.

bls 10-16-2012 02:06 PM

How do you pick who you want to come with the double like you did last year? When I press LB on defense it doesn't bring up the icons and let me choose who I want to go double like I could in 2k12.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

rockchisler 10-16-2012 02:22 PM

I would love to see a difference in left hand and right hand dribbling like more turnovers when shading to non dominate hand.

sreckless 10-16-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bls (Post 2044323626)
How do you pick who you want to come with the double like you did last year? When I press LB on defense it doesn't bring up the icons and let me choose who I want to go double like I could in 2k12.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

You can't. It's out of the game. Another big disappointment.

MrBigShot1 10-16-2012 02:35 PM

This thread should be stickied.

JasonWilliams55 10-16-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockchisler (Post 2044323701)
I would love to see a difference in left hand and right hand dribbling like more turnovers when shading to non dominate hand.

Thats a roster rating issue as OHD is too high, it does need a tad decrease though.