Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   ESPN NFL 2K5 Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Best ways to stop the sweep? (/forums/showthread.php?t=59750)

snate 11-10-2003 02:18 PM

Best ways to stop the sweep?

Just curious what people find is the best way to stop the sweep. I was playing 4-3, not blitzing, shifting my linebackers in the right direction, but I was still getting killed to the outside. Any tips?

TheLetterZ 11-10-2003 06:04 PM

Re: Best ways to stop the sweep?

I've had success by shifting the linebackers inside, shifting the line outside, and sometimes blitzing the outside linebackers simultaneously (4-3 Force Fire 0).

Radja 11-10-2003 06:50 PM

make sure you play it like real life.
1) use the sidelines if you can.
2) keep your defense in front of the back to get help.
3) try and force him back towards your help if your only player outside is your CB or Safety.

mike06 11-10-2003 07:29 PM

1) Shift your corners a bir inside of the recievers so that that can try to aviod the block
2) Use a FAN for your dline play to help contain a bit
3) COntrol a safety and flow to the ball
4) You HAVE to gang tackle, if a power back can get outside hes pretty much gone, they will run over about 90% of the 1 on 1 matchups

Heelfan71 11-10-2003 09:06 PM

I play a 4-3 and use the play where the 2 outside LB's blitz in on the outside of the linemen.

49ersrule23 11-11-2003 11:07 AM

Just play a 4-3 or bear defense when you anticipate the run and leave you linebacker in on non-sweeps because you miss tackles and RB will gain yards on you.

sportsgeist 11-11-2003 03:56 PM

I use the 4-3 set. I split my D-line (hoping to funnel the runner to the middle) and have them do a mix line stunt and have a safety blitz the wide side of the playing field. You aren't going to stop all of them anyway. That's how most of the runningbacks get their yards on my Defense.

BBMo 11-12-2003 02:02 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
49ersrule23 said:
Just play a 4-3 or bear defense when you anticipate the run and leave you linebacker in on non-sweeps because you miss tackles and RB will gain yards on you.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

The 4-3 works fine for me, if I shift the D-line one way and the LB's the other. I usually stop the play in the backfield 70% of the time. However I am not having as much success with the BEAR because my LB's are so close to the line of scrimage that after the ball is snapped they get caught up in the WASH and can't pursue laterally.