Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Stat tracking spreadsheet and useful links (/forums/showthread.php?t=610514)

BrianU 03-08-2013 10:20 AM

Stat tracking spreadsheet and useful links

Stat tracking spreadsheet

Another forum poster, ScouserHUN created a spreadsheet to track his pitching. I really liked the layout and readability so I added a bunch more stats to it. You will find all the basics like AVG, OBP, OPS as well as more advanced stats such as FIP, BABIP, First Strike % and more

I have two separate versions for you. The first is to track games in Franchise mode. It has 182 spaces for games plus 22 spaces for Post-Season games. It displays the regular season and postseason stats separately for easy comparison. I like to keep track of my own personal stats in the games I actually play separate from the games that I sim, as the game combines the two.

Franchise Stat Tracking Flavor
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwG...it?usp=sharing

The second version is for Slider tuning. It only has 25 spots which makes it more compact and easier to manage.

Slider Stat Tracking Flavor
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwG...it?usp=sharing

You really only have to fill in the first two tabs (User Hitting & CPU Hitting) If you wish to see the pitching stats such as Strike %, First Strike %, FB/GB/LD % etc... then you have to go to the User Pitching & CPU Pitching tabs and update the section to the far right of the spreadsheets.

Only fill in the sections that are completely blank. If there is a zero or any words then it will automatically update when enough information is filled in.

-----------------------------------------------
Useful links

Sliders
Bobhead's Explanation of Gameplay Sliders
CPU pitching sliders and strike percentage
Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 14 Version]
Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 13 Version]
Bobhead's CPU Vs CPU - Default Sliders spreadsheet
Operation Sports MLB Box Score Generator

Gameplay
Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion 2012
A nice little adjustment: hitting camera offset to the inside...
Contact, Power, and Regular Swings
The Holy Trinity of Hitting Options
MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips
If you need help hitting come here : long but detailed read
The Difference Between Wins & Losses (Tips)
Tips for the 7th, 8th, 9th
IGN's MLB 12: The Show Wiki Guide

Franchise
Operation Sports Full Minors 2014
The 30-Team Control Guide
Guide to a successful franchise offseason...
tabarnes19's The Show Franchise Guide
How do you play your franchise?
Franchise House Rules
Franchise/Season with all Cyber Faces
Important Transaction Dates
Transactions Glossary
The 40-Man Roster: How Does It Work?
Scouting For 1st Year Draft Tips?
2012-2016 MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement
FanGraphs | Current CBA Details
FanGraphs | Salary Arbitration
FanGraphs | Player Options
FanGraphs | Waivers
FanGraphs | Service Time
FanGraphs | Super Two
FanGraphs | Rule 5 Draft
FanGraphs | Draft Pick Compensation
FanGraphs | Luxury Tax
FanGraphs | Revenue Sharing
Major League Baseball rosters - Wikipedia
Major League Baseball transactions - Wikipedia
Major League Baseball Draft - Wikipedia
Rule 5 draft - Wikipedia
Cot's Baseball Contracts
MLB 13: The Show Dev Blog: Franchise Mode

Statistics
FanGraphs Sabermetrics Library
FanGraphs Player Stats
Baseball Prospectus
Baseball-Reference.com
StatCorner
ESPN Home Run Tracker
Minor League Central

Misc.
BrooksBaseball.net PitchFX
PitcherGIFs
Baseball Press - MLB Daily Lineup
MLB Depth Charts
MLB The Show Nation
MLBTheShow Facebook
MLBTheShow Twitter
MLB.com Ballpark Music
Operation Sports Sounds Of The Show Forum

MarketingWiz 03-08-2013 11:32 PM

Re: Stat tracking spreadsheet and useful links

My brudda from annudda mudda..... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap pimp?

BrianU 03-30-2013 02:16 AM

With OSFM Opening Day release right around the corner, and a lot of really good sliders out there I modified another forum posters spreadsheet he posted and I feel the results are really good.

It's in the OP give it a try, they are great resources to track your games either in franchise to keep the stats of the games you actually play separate from the simmed games, or for tuning sliders to your own playing style.

vcu9 03-30-2013 03:30 AM

WOW!!

Thanks.

JoeT 03-30-2013 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianU (Post 2044861653)
With OSFM Opening Day release right around the corner, and a lot of really good sliders out there I modified another forum posters spreadsheet he posted and I feel the results are really good.

It's in the OP give it a try, they are great resources to track your games either in franchise to keep the stats of the games you actually play separate from the simmed games, or for tuning sliders to your own playing style.

Nice job Brian! Thanks to you and to Scouser for your efforts.

Quick question, for tracking groundballs, line drives & flyballs, am I right to assume that 'popups' are added to 'flyballs' and 'choppers' added to 'groundballs'? And these the only three classifications that MLB tracks, correct? Thanks.

Edit:
1) Oops, I see choppers are already included in groundballs (at least in the one game I'm looking at right now), so cancel that question, but;
2) It appears that not all popups are listed under flyballs, but some are(!). Makes it difficult to add correctly unless I am missing something or looking in the wrong place. Thoughts?

BrianU 03-30-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeT (Post 2044861768)
Nice job Brian! Thanks to you and to Scouser for your efforts.

Quick question, for tracking groundballs, line drives & flyballs, am I right to assume that 'popups' are added to 'flyballs' and 'choppers' added to 'groundballs'? And these the only three classifications that MLB tracks, correct? Thanks.

Edit:
1) Oops, I see choppers are already included in groundballs (at least in the one game I'm looking at right now), so cancel that question, but;
2) It appears that not all popups are listed under flyballs, but some are(!). Makes it difficult to add correctly unless I am missing something or looking in the wrong place. Thoughts?

Good Q. I have been busy with OSFM Mets and making this guy I havent tested it too heavily so if you see any anamolys like that please do let me know. I guess you would have to just count it individually as best you can. I thought about the Popups thing and infield flies, i will look at it more as I start playing

Im going to try to add wOBA, wRC, and xFIP

EDIT: I dunno how I overlooked TB being broken but thats very important. Doh. Fixed it but then I decided to add a bunch more. I looked at the ingame stats on the player cards and I added some things like Power Speed, Runs Created, Defense Independent Pitching, as well as wOBA, xFIP, HR/FB rate and others

BrianU 03-30-2013 05:52 PM

Original post updated with links to new spreadsheet. I am fairly confident that this is the most extensive tool you can find to track stats. It looks intimidating but most of it is automated and you don't have to fill out everything if you don't want to of course. I added a bunch of the stats that the game tracks in the player cards. A lot of them are obscure and such but i'll try to add some more where I can.

If you really want to know how your games match up to the real thing without guessing or going by 'feel' then this is your guide

JoeT 03-30-2013 08:39 PM

Brian (& Scouser), Hey, I really liked your work and for the idea to get this done as I've wanted to track my stats for awhile. Now the only thing I realized is I need to make it really, really easy for myself, or I will not do it (know thyself, right?).

Anyway, I took your sheet and redid for myself with the intent to make it as simple as I could when entering the data. For instance I put all the info in the order in which it is found in the box score and pitching reports so you can breeze through entering the 60 or so fields from the box score and batter or pitcher analysis reports real fast one after the other without having to bounce around.

You enter all the data in the same column in the same 'data entry' sheet. Then, the pitching reports and hitting reports can then be viewed as reports on separate sheets (or can be scrolled down to). You've obviously got your own sheet you've worked very hard on and you actually track quite a bit more sabermentric stats than I am, so it may be better. But just wanted to share this with you to see if you (or anyone else) as another way to do it in as simple a way as I could come up with.

If you want to use it great, if not, no problem. I sort of beta tested it, and the numbers looked right to me, but i wouldn't be surprised if a calculation or two might have been overlooked. You can take a look and let me know if you see any glaring issues. Also I'm sure you could suggest adding many more calculations as you have already done on your own, but I'm not planning on tracking as much as you are. Anyway...

If anyone is interested you can find it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&usp=sharing