Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Will there be a MLB 2k14? (/forums/showthread.php?t=627810)

GoFlaPanthers 05-08-2013 12:03 PM

Will there be a MLB 2k14?

Just curious, I remember reading that 2k and MLB's agreement is over after 2013... So where would that leave Xbox and Baseball. Could EA possibly get in the license?

WesternStateWR 05-10-2013 08:02 AM

Re: Will there be a MLB 2k14?

Someone will pick it up for sure.. I personally hate the all out right licensing as i feel like it has really affected the overall quality of games in general, not just MLB..

Dont get me wrong i like playing MLB 2k12 and its not a horrible game, and i didnt even consider getting 2k13 considering they werent even sure they wre going to make a game until like 4 months before the release date.

But in my opinion MOST not all of the sports games have dropped off in overall quality because there is no competition between the companies anymore. I hope that it can come back to a competitive market where multiple companies make sports games of the same type, i think then we will truly see what the Xbox 360 and future consoles are fully capable of.

daltros 05-12-2013 12:14 AM

I doubt there will be another MLB2K game, at least for next year. Honestly, I expect only the PS4 to receive a baseball game. 2K crapped on the baseball series over the past few years, so I doubt they even planned on developing one for the next-gens, at least immediately. But I do agree that SOMEBODY has to have a baseball game in the works...

DontrelleRoosevelt 05-18-2013 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFlaPanthers (Post 2044996359)
Just curious, I remember reading that 2k and MLB's agreement is over after 2013... So where would that leave Xbox and Baseball. Could EA possibly get in the license?

As long as Visual Concepts and 2K show prominent interest in developing MLB2K for next generation systems, I don't see why there wouldn't be a renewal of contract. This series is too harshly criticized every year, when it is always much more fun and accessible than Sony's "MLB The Show" series. EA has shown no interest in doing baseball again, so I could see a much improved Visual Concepts version of MLB 2K14 hitting shelves next year by April.

daltros 05-18-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DontrelleRoosevelt (Post 2045024104)
As long as Visual Concepts and 2K show prominent interest in developing MLB2K for next generation systems, I don't see why there wouldn't be a renewal of contract. This series is too harshly criticized every year, when it is always much more fun and accessible than Sony's "MLB The Show" series. EA has shown no interest in doing baseball again, so I could see a much improved Visual Concepts version of MLB 2K14 hitting shelves next year by April.

I'm sure 2K will show interest, but they may not give the job to VC. There used to be a link where it showed the decrease in sales for the MLB2K series dating back to 2008 or 2009-2012. I couldn't find it, but the losses were massive. I know Take-Two said a part of their company's value, as a whole, has been lost because of the MLB series suffering. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1..._franchise.php Of course, MLB would not allow the next-gen XBOX to go without a baseball game but would they be willing to invest a lot of money into a game again, as was the case with MLB2K13?

Also, EA has shown interest in baseball games. I do not think they are currently working on a next-gen game yet, but they have had the MLB-license for a baseball game on Facebook for a few years now called World Series Superstars. I think it was released 2 or 3 years ago. Just because it is a Facebook game, it should not be laughed at. The important thing is that they have had a license.

Williekemp15 08-03-2013 05:17 PM

with the bad reviews and horrible sales for 2k13, i will say 2k has released their last baseball game. Maybe EA will acquire the license and we will see MVP return in 2015.

RangersCruz 08-03-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Williekemp15 (Post 2045315545)
with the bad reviews and horrible sales for 2k13, i will say 2k has released their last baseball game. Maybe EA will acquire the license and we will see MVP return in 2015.

Did they not sell 80k+ copies?

MLB 2k isn't horrible if they just had updated the graphics it would be a good game

dingleberryfinn 08-03-2013 09:24 PM

If there's no MLB 2K14, that's another good reason to invest in a P$4.