Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   EA Listens to Customers, Drops Online Pass (/forums/showthread.php?t=630452)

RaychelSnr 05-16-2013 11:18 AM

EA Listens to Customers, Drops Online Pass

It turns out EA listens to customer feedback somewhat after all, as the company has decided to drop its online pass system from all EA games.

"Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn't respond to the format, "EA senior director of corporate communications John Reseburg said.

"We've listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward."

This move is definitely a move to spur more positive feedback towards the company, which has been at the center of consumer ire for a few years now. The more cynical person might conclude this is a move that was going to have to be made anyways if next-gen consoles offer a similar function built-in -- but there is nothing that indicates that just yet.

Regardless, for now, kudos to EA for listening to customer feedback and for getting rid of a very unpopular feature.

Kentucky_Wildcat23 05-16-2013 11:37 AM

Maybe they will listen to what we want in games next!

PAPERNUT 05-16-2013 11:40 AM

Re: EA Listens to Customers, Drops Online Pass

Glad to see this, but something tells me it is not that simple. I would say micro-transactions will be a replacement for this in some form or fashion next gen. Good PR for now though.....

DetroitStyle 05-16-2013 11:53 AM

If it's not micro transactions they're just going to charge outright for online play.

chello97217 05-16-2013 12:06 PM

You guys realize this is possibly just a PR move? With rumor of Microsoft and PS3 both not allowing used games there is no need for an online pass if all games will just be registered to a console.

murph17 05-16-2013 12:22 PM

Yeah PR stunt...there will be some kind of online pass/or registering of games on the PS4 and X720.

They probably weren't making all that much $$ from the passes anyways especially when factoring in the server costs to administer the system. So they are gonna cut their losses now and try to make it look like a consumer-friendly move.

canucksss 05-16-2013 12:25 PM

Somehow i feel cynical about this.....EA will do this and take less money??? I strongly agree with the first four posts. I am very sure, EA will still charge customers in other areas after buying the game. Hoping that EA will also listen to their loyal consumers how to improve their games (in particular NHL).

rspencer86 05-16-2013 12:31 PM

Re: EA Listens to Customers, Drops Online Pass

Can we not give EA credit for listening to customers here? This is simply a way to allow the maximum amount of people they can to have access to the parts of the game that involve microtransactions, a.k.a. Ultimate Team. In other words, a way to make more money.

If EA had listened to customers, there would have never been any Online Pass in the first place.