Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Top 10 useless signature skills in 2K13 (/forums/showthread.php?t=652995)

HumanBeans 08-18-2013 03:38 PM

Top 10 useless signature skills in 2K13

I love top 10 lists lol. Anyways, we know that some sig skills can have a major effect on a how a player plays, giving the player a more realistic feel when playing as or against them. There are some sig skills that are really effective if used properly like shot creator, finisher, or floor general. Then there are the ones that aren't so effective, like these 10:

10) Ankle Breaker- This one is cool to see happen, but it happens at the most inappropriate times and you just never see it coming when it happens. That takes you out of position for the easy shot it should produce. Also the most unlikely combinations can trigger a stumbling defender animation, like a spin move off your pivot foot. Unless your shoelaces are tied together you shouldn't fall on that one.

9) Break Starter- This one would be great if it didn't seem like everyone has it. This is one is really helpful if you want to launch a 70 ft pass after a miss but you usually don't need to. It seems like any big man is a solid outlet passer on this game. I can launch 50 ft passes off defensive rebounds all day with LeBron. And he doesn't have break starter.

8) Dimer- Well, without flashy passes on this game (yay for 2K14 having them) dimer is useless. passing with Chris Paul doesn't seem as different as passing with the 1.4 assist per game Nick Young. Dimer will probably be more useful in 2K14 with flashy passes being added in.

7) Active Hands- it's as simple as this: you DON'T need active hands to strip the ball handler wen going up the shot. I get away with this all the time with players without active hands.

6) Heat retention- If you have microwave then you can get hot right away off a timeout, no need for heat retention. This can be useful to stay hot after a timeout in a close game though.

5) Interceptor- Has anyone actually seen someone steal a pass and say "wow, he must have interceptor!" Jason Collins can pick off a pass as well as Brandon Jennings if you time it right and are in good position.

4) Brick Wall- I laugh every time I see this one. The problem is I don't see it enough. This one works really well when it happens but it doesn't occur enough.

3) Anti-Freeze- Well if you have microwave, which is much more useful, then anti-freeze is useless.

2) Chase Down Artist- Since you can't block dunks (yay for 2K14 allowing blocked dunks) this one becomes very useless. The only reason it's number two is because I've actually done this one ONCE, and it was awesome. I tracked down a guard on a fast break and sent it back off the glass for behind with Hakim Warrick. To add to it, it was in a MyTEAM game.

1) Alley Ooper- This one does absolutely NOTHING. I have alley-ooper on one of my players in my association and I still botch the easiest of oops. I've also thrown insane oops with passers without alley-ooper. This one just seems to not have any effect on if the oop connects or not.

These are just my opinions though, you may use some of these sig skills in another way and find them useful. You may also find other sig skills not on this list that aren't very useful. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments!

EDIT: Totally forgot about charge card. That could probably be #1! Looking back I would probably take out dimer, which after playing a MyCareer game with it I found it pretty useful, and substitute it for charge card and move charge card to #1

swaggedout 08-18-2013 03:48 PM

Re: Top 10 useless signature skills in 2K13

I understand where you coming from. I see what they were trying to do, but the skills just don't pop out. Quick questions, did you change your sliders? If so that could affect some sig skills. Use default sliders and see what happens.

HumanBeans 08-18-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaggedout (Post 2045363937)
I understand where you coming from. I see what they were trying to do, but the skills just don't pop out. Quick questions, did you change your sliders? If so that could affect some sig skills. Use default sliders and see what happens.

I use default sliders. Using default is the best way to get used to the game. I'm not trying to bash sig skills because I really thought they gave another dimension to how a player actually plays. I was expecting them to overpower players like NBA Live 06's freestyle superstars but it wasn't that way. Sig skills turned out nicely. I just got this idea from going over which sig skills I wanted to give to MyTEAM's players and found which ones didn't show much of a difference in the players play.

Coach2K 08-18-2013 04:06 PM

Charge card. That's a good one lol.

swaggedout 08-18-2013 04:09 PM

Not trying to stick up for 2k, but it was the first year they introduced the sig skills. 2k14 will be out in a few months. Lets hope they have expanded the sig skills and implemented better.

HumanBeans 08-18-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com (Post 2045363979)
Charge card. That's a good one lol.

I can't believe I forgot charge card! That one it is pointless! Good catch.

mango_prom 08-18-2013 04:28 PM

For, me the most ridiculous sig skill has to be closer. I mean no matter how crappy you play, your superstar will get significant rating boosts anyway only because it's the 4th quarter. It's ridiculous. Yeah, ESPN is telling you some nice stories about "stepping up" and "coming through in the clutch"...and of course the "insider" responsible for ratings won't bother looking at real life 4th quarter stats, which prove that "cluch" superstars are mostly able to kind of maintain their usual efficiency in crunchtime, but not much more than that.

So it's no surprise that 2k doesn't realize that nice 4th quarter statlines are mostly the result of superstars simply taking more shots when the game is on the line rather than magical skill enhancements. It's just nonsense. Now add skills like microwave (rewarding gamers for jacking up shots), and fatigue not having enough effect to make shot selection a factor...

I hope they turn sig skills down in 2k14, but I doubt it.

HumanBeans 08-18-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaggedout (Post 2045363991)
Not trying to stick up for 2k, but it was the first year they introduced the sig skills. 2k14 will be out in a few months. Lets hope they have expanded the sig skills and implemented better.

I'm with you there. I thought the sig skills came out really well this year and can only get better next year.