Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MMA Forum (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   UFC 172 - Jones v. Glover - April 26 - Baltimore (/forums/showthread.php?t=689611)

aholbert32 12-04-2013 07:10 PM

UFC 172 - Jones v. Glover - April 26 - Baltimore

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/4...et-for-ufc-171

The JareBear 12-05-2013 01:34 AM

Re: UFC 171 - Jones v. Glover - Dallas - March 14

I expect a five round fight here, not sure I see either getting finished.

ManiacMatt1782 12-05-2013 08:16 AM

Glover's cardio has been questionable in 3 round fights. I say Jones Submission R4, RNC

jeremym480 12-05-2013 05:35 PM

I know this is old news, but I would have much rather Gus have gotten a rematch with Bones.

As much as I like Glover and think that he is talented, I just want to see him beat someone in the Top 10 before giving him a shot. When your biggest UFC wins are Ryan Bader and an uninspired Rampage, then you just need to do more in my eyes.

Plus like Matt mentioned his cardio is questionable and so is his chin, in my opinion. He was rocked badly versus both Bader and Maldonado. I mean, he has been impressive and it's not like the guys he has fought are a bunch of cans, but I'd just love to see him fight a Rashad or Phil Davis type before getting a title shot.

With that said I think Glover has a slim chance to win against Jones, especially since he posses more killer instinct than a lot of his opponents (outside of Vitor maybe). I just don't know if he will have the speed and cardio to hang with him.

My prediction would be that Jones keeps Glover at bay and slowly picks him apart for the first few rounds. He'll turn it up in the Championship round and wins the fight pretty easily. Probably something like 49-46.

ex carrabba fan 12-05-2013 05:59 PM

I prefer Glover get a shot because I honestly hate immediate rematches. It's so anti-climatic to me. Unless the match was just ridiculously close/there was a robbery or if there's nobody else in the division then I would prefer a new challenger. I know it was a controversial decision but I don't think Gus was the clear winner.

As far as Glover's chances, I actually believe he'll be a stiff test for Jones. His defensive wrestling is legit but I do question his cardio as well. Yeah he might have gotten rocked in previous fights, but you could also say that his chin is pretty good. He took hard shots and didn't get KO'd.

ManiacMatt1782 12-06-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan (Post 2045739468)
I prefer Glover get a shot because I honestly hate immediate rematches. It's so anti-climatic to me. Unless the match was just ridiculously close/there was a robbery or if there's nobody else in the division then I would prefer a new challenger. I know it was a controversial decision but I don't think Gus was the clear winner.

As far as Glover's chances, I actually believe he'll be a stiff test for Jones. His defensive wrestling is legit but I do question his cardio as well. Yeah he might have gotten rocked in previous fights, but you could also say that his chin is pretty good. He took hard shots and didn't get KO'd.

I agree, he has been stunned, but recovered well. I don't think it's so much his chin as his aggressive style leaves a lot of openings. He his much more susceptible to taking one on the button. but there is on so many shots you can take before you can't recover all that well. But like I said, Jones uses range and kicks to the body early as well as clinch work to sap Glover's stamina, Eventually Glover's defense slows down and I predict Jones to get a finish in the championship rounds, mid to late round 4. Glover is tough, but Jones isn't gonna charge him with his hands down just because he connected a few times and had glover a little hurt a couple times like Bader did. Jones by being smarter than Bader.

Also regarding Gus. I think a lot of that love affair has to do with someone actually taking the fight to Jones. Machida had Jones in trouble in the 1st round, but then got blasted in the 2nd round and eventually submitted. Belfort almost had Jones submitted but he slipped off of the armbar, but then got dominated and eventually submitted the rest of the fight. Gustaffson took the fight to Jones, and arguably won. It was a VERY CLOSE fight, but not a robbery. You can't have a robbery in a close fight. Iwould love to see Gus get fast tracked to another shot, but, somone else should get a crack first. Glad the UFC played it out the way they did.

aholbert32 12-06-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782 (Post 2045741224)
I agree, he has been stunned, but recovered well. I don't think it's so much his chin as his aggressive style leaves a lot of openings. He his much more susceptible to taking one on the button. but there is on so many shots you can take before you can't recover all that well. But like I said, Jones uses range and kicks to the body early as well as clinch work to sap Glover's stamina, Eventually Glover's defense slows down and I predict Jones to get a finish in the championship rounds, mid to late round 4. Glover is tough, but Jones isn't gonna charge him with his hands down just because he connected a few times and had glover a little hurt a couple times like Bader did. Jones by being smarter than Bader.

Also regarding Gus. I think a lot of that love affair has to do with someone actually taking the fight to Jones. Machida had Jones in trouble in the 1st round, but then got blasted in the 2nd round and eventually submitted. Belfort almost had Jones submitted but he slipped off of the armbar, but then got dominated and eventually submitted the rest of the fight. Gustaffson took the fight to Jones, and arguably won. It was a VERY CLOSE fight, but not a robbery. You can't have a robbery in a close fight. Iwould love to see Gus get fast tracked to another shot, but, somone else should get a crack first. Glad the UFC played it out the way they did.

Couldnt agree more. If Gus can get past Jimi in March a July 4 rematch with Jones in Vegas would be HUGE.

blackceasar 12-10-2013 02:54 PM

Regardless of what people say about Glover, I think he's got a legit shot to beat Jones. Now do I think he would beat Jones on Jone's best day (or one of his best days), no. But you never know until the fight happens and if it's one of those nights where Glover is "on" and Jones is "off", it's very possible there could be an upset, but I also agree on the cardio. If Glover DID pull this win off, it would be in the first three rounds. After that I think a huge advantage swings into Jones' favor.