Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   Despite Promises, NBA 2K14's Server Shutdown Forcibly Ends Careers (/forums/showthread.php?t=838838)

RaychelSnr 04-07-2015 11:54 AM

Despite Promises, NBA 2K14's Server Shutdown Forcibly Ends Careers

Maybe this is a fitting end for what was simply a rocky existence for 2K Sports' NBA 2K14 on next-gen consoles. As originally reported by Polygon, and discussed in our forums -- 2K Sports shut down their NBA 2K14 servers on March 31, 2015.

This isn't a huge deal on the surface, until you find out that 2K promised this wouldn't result in players losing access to their career mode saves -- and it did.

In a statement to Polygon, a 2K Sports official promised, "Online files will not disappear, but rather they will turn to offline saves and earn skill points as opposed to VC."

In a statement from 2K Support on this issue, they say:

Quote:

"Sadly this may come as an inconvenience to some of you and if so we truly do understand and can feel for how upsetting this may seem as there always is a special bond that occurs between a player and their MyCareer save but all good things must come to an end and rest assured your MyCareer or MyGM went out while on top!" - (Polygon)

This seems to be little consolation after assurances to the contrary. One has to wonder if this is how it's going to be every year with NBA 2K -- and if so, what's the point in spending ANY money on VC if all of that work is going to simply be retired by 2K at their discretion?

Shady Mike 04-07-2015 12:25 PM

Re: Despite Promises, NBA 2K14's Server Shutdown Forcibly Ends Careers

They should at least offer some type of cloud based character VC/Appearance/Progress transfer option if they are going to pull nonsense like this.

maltliquor23 04-07-2015 12:47 PM

I'll have a tough time supporting 2k sports from year to year so long as saves must be maintained online

Real2KInsider 04-07-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMChrisS (Post 2047202398)
This seems to be little consolation after assurances to the contrary. One has to wonder if this is how it's going to be every year with NBA 2K -- and if so, what's the point in spending ANY money on VC if all of that work is going to simply be retired by 2K at their discretion?

Just wait until people figure out the thousand dollars they spent on their MyTeam collections won't carry over to 2K16.

nickthemajin 04-07-2015 01:08 PM

I'm glad I haven't spent a dime on VC. When I'm studying I throw on a myleague game with the CPU playing each other and farm VC easily that way. Or I load up an old career where I have a max contract on HOF and just foul out for 1000VC per 3 minutes

Magnus1959 04-07-2015 01:19 PM

I have so much time invested playing 2K15 an it's going to suck if can't go back and play my Careers. his ensures the that you have to buy every year if you want to play.

Ownal0t 04-07-2015 01:22 PM

they should really give people a portion of their VC (if they paid) back if they are going to do this mess. this is so wrong i knew people who played 2k14 still cause they disliked 15 and now they are screwed out of their favorite series twice in the same year

zrohman 04-07-2015 01:29 PM

Lol. I smell a lawsuit. Making people pay for a virtual product, promising it won't effect certain things, lying, and talking away what they paid for.