Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case (/forums/showthread.php?t=893389)

RaychelSnr 10-03-2016 04:08 PM

Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

The future of college sports video games is murky at best after the Supreme Court refused to hear the Ed O'Bannon case.

At this point, that means the O'Bannon case as currently decided is how things are. At this time the ruling stands as follows (Per the USA Today article linked above):

Quote:

"Instead, Monday’s decision leaves intact the 9th Circuit’s dual rulings that:
  • The NCAA’s regulations are subject to antitrust scrutiny, and rules limiting football and men’s basketball players to receiving tuition, fees, room, board and books violate antitrust laws.
  • While antitrust law requires that schools be allowed to provide these athletes with scholarships that cover all of their costs of attending college, including travel and personal incidentals, “it does not require more,” such as what it termed “cash sums untethered to educational expenses.”"

Just over a month after Peter Moore declared that 'we'll be back' when it comes to NCAA Football, the future of college sports video games seems murky and uncertain.

For college video games to return will require a couple of things.

First, EA (or another publisher) will have to know there is no threat of litigation to proceed. Second, schools will want to know there is no threat of litigation to proceed as well.

Several schools began to pull out of EA's next gen college football title at the end, and that was one of several items which led EA to scrap the title. In an era of video games where people obsess over the authenticity of shoes and haircuts, having generic teams (and players) seems like a hard thing to sell.

What would lead to a game being possible is likely a resolution from the NCAA and member schools allowing players to get money for licensing their image -- which it seems there isn't much movement on at this time. While its a good thought to think that people would buy a game with generic teams and players with customization -- those types of games have never sold enough in the marketplace to justify high development costs required of AAA sports titles in 2016.

In short, without a way to license players officially (along with schools) its doubtful we see college sports games return to consoles.

TheWalkingCash 10-03-2016 04:31 PM

Re: Supreme Court Rejects Hearing of O'Bannon Case

Why don't we just start a lawsuit against O'Bannon?

jhawk826 10-03-2016 04:37 PM

I disagree with this. We've seen what the community is capable of with the NCAA 2K17 project. A developer would have to go the Pro Evolution Soccer route and let the community have at it with full customization from jerseys to stadiums to fight songs. It can be done. There's a demand for a college game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VJ4ku3hybPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BadAssHskr 10-03-2016 04:58 PM

ugh, that's cold news...

JayStarr 10-03-2016 05:11 PM

Then they better start soon. This is crazy.

Mauer4MVP 10-03-2016 05:26 PM

I just don't see how making a game with generic rosters isn't a viable option. Heck, they'd be cutting out resources and costs. They know this community would gladly take that load.

It has to be hesitation on the side of the universities and maybe just fear on what they'd be able to get away with.

Coach_Chever 10-03-2016 05:28 PM

Aaaaand that's why I still own my PS3 and will be playing my Road To Glory athletes tonight. Its still a great game if you ask me even if its a couple years old. As long as we have modded rosters I'm playing it. And I KNOW I am not alone. Its funny I love Madden also shoot my routine is to create players have them play their college careers then move on to the current Madden. I found it funny developers or gamers thought it was worth mention that this year uniformwise a player on Madden 17 can have one sleeve on instead of both....and I'm like oookkaay NCAA BEEN had this what's so special about that? I guess for the moment a current gen college game tis but a dream until or if they ever start paying dem boys I'll continue to "Put These Kids Thru College" the only way I know how. It's the least i can do for my community.

Coach Chever
Sports Gamer

tril 10-03-2016 05:35 PM

I think the developers are underestimating the demand for college sports. I think most folks are more concerned about school authenticity as opposed to player names, especially if those names can be customized.

The developers should take their cue from the constantly growing number of college sports tv networks, and on line media outlets.

college sports, media, and gaming are seeing an increase worldwide. I wonder if these companies have any real world data that would back up their claims that there isnt a market for college sports games.
is there even a good sample size of generic roster games that would say otherwise.