Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports NHL (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   Using the Flip Pass in NHL 17 (/forums/showthread.php?t=894356)

RaychelSnr 10-12-2016 02:12 PM

Using the Flip Pass in NHL 17

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ejgKd5rqk0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YouTuber BaconCountry is back with a video talking about an under-utilized but powerful tool in EA Sports' NHL: the flip pass.

The flip pass, especially a longer one, involves you doing a flip over a longer distance which allows one of your players to get down to the ice and get the pass and (the hope is) a breakaway score. This doesn't work all of the time of course, but its one of those things you could always try to bust out when you are wanting to surprise a defense and loosen up the pressure a bit.

There is potential you'll get icing, and that's always possible with such a long pass in the game -- but the air time the puck gets usually means your player is in decent enough position to get the pass and try to get a breakaway score.

Of course, defending this is tough -- but not impossible, especially if you are playing someone online who insists on doing this a lot. And the success rate you'll have isn't near 100% on offense even when you catch the defense off guard. This is one of those moves many don't use a lot but it could be a good tool to have stored away in your arsenal to pull out a time or two a game.

What do you think? Have you used the long flip in NHL 17 to any success?

jeebs9 10-12-2016 02:58 PM

Re: Using the Flip Pass in NHL 17

I haven't used this. I love Bacon channel. But I don't know about this one. Guess I've never seen it in a actually game. That's kind of why I question a move like this. Like what kind of defense would stop this. Neutral zone trap?

But on the other hand. I'm new to this series after 15 years. So I should learn everything.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Qb 10-12-2016 03:31 PM

We ocassionally use this in EASHL if a team is really aggressive or after defensive zone draw wins on the PK.

I remember holding a one goal lead late against a tough team and going down 5-on-3. They pulled the goalie during the stoppage, I won the draw, D-man flipped it long, winger won the race and put it in the empty net. Game over. :cool:

ericromain 10-12-2016 06:10 PM

I'll flip out of my own zone if I'm in the middle of a transition and already have people caught up ice in the neutral zone. It's a bit of a hail mary, but its a fast way to come back and might catch your opponent on their heels

I think that wide play in the video is pretty smart, but I think it would be cheap if an opponent used it every time the puck is in your end. I think it would make a good set-play to use a couple times a game.

snc237 10-12-2016 06:27 PM

Ya I been using this pass for a few years now. You have to use is selectively but it's viable if the opportunity arises.

skrody 10-13-2016 11:43 AM

lol. this is what i hate about the game.

first three clips - goals scored the exact same.

Fiddy 10-13-2016 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrody (Post 2048515048)
lol. this is what i hate about the game.

first three clips - goals scored the exact same.

Exactly.

You wont see 3 goals like that all year in the NHL.

Millennium 10-13-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qb (Post 2048513222)
We ocassionally use this in EASHL if a team is really aggressive or after defensive zone draw wins on the PK.

I remember holding a one goal lead late against a tough team and going down 5-on-3. They pulled the goalie during the stoppage, I won the draw, D-man flipped it long, winger won the race and put it in the empty net. Game over. :cool:

Your d-man is wise beyond his years.