Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Madden 18 Story Mode - Let's talk (/forums/showthread.php?t=908944)

Datninja619 05-12-2017 11:17 AM

Madden 18 Story Mode - Let's talk

Now that story mode has been revealed, what's everyone's hopes and aspirations for the story mode to be?

My assumption would be it's similar to Fifa', since it's EA. I personally haven't played FIFA's story mode, so I don't know the goods and the bads.

LovejoyOTF 05-12-2017 11:18 AM

Re: Madden 18 Story Mode - Let's talk

it'll probably be a pre-defined story that you follow up until the end of the first season, then it'll just get transferred over to a player-centric CFM mode.

PlayerMode 05-12-2017 11:26 AM

FIFA's story mode in 17 lasted for 1 season, but it seems EA's plan for that is to carry it over into each iteration of the game year on year so it's not technically finished. I didn't complete it since my brother did before me and told me what happens. The only thing that changes is the team you choose and not much else.

If Madden goes down this route then I hope the possible features in the story mode (combine/draft/mini camps) also make it into the standard "Be a pro" career mode. Unless they go the RTTS route, and the guy in the trailer is just a placeholder character and we tell our own story.

Yeah...THAT Guy 05-12-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datninja619 (Post 2048832252)
Now that story mode has been revealed, what's everyone's hopes and aspirations for the story mode to be?

My assumption would be it's similar to Fifa', since it's EA. I personally haven't played FIFA's story mode, so I don't know the goods and the bads.

I assume it'll be similar to FIFA's as well, which I could not stand. It would have been fine if it was an actual career, but FIFA cut it off after roughly 20 minutes of gameplay (one "year" of your career) and then the mode is just over. You can use the player for Ultimate Team, but that's it. It was just a waste of time. No player creation of any kind either; you couldn't even change the person's name. The only thing you could change was your position.

Still, I could overlook the lack of customization if it were actually a career mode rather than a few minutes of playing. The story behind the player was pretty cool; cutscenes were done as well as any career mode. It was simply way, way, way too short.

CM Hooe 05-12-2017 11:49 AM

My concern with a story mode in Madden is that I wonder / fear to what degree Tiburon's hands are tied with respect to how the game represents the NFL. Will the game be able tell an interesting story about a football player that tackles meaningful ground, or will it be a white-washed presentation of the NFL as the NFL views itself in the mirror?

I assume the developers will be able to execute on whatever script they are given at least to a reasonable degree - EA has done it already with FIFA and that got great reviews, and specific to Madden as we've seen with the intro sequences in the past three years the game already supports some level of in-game scripted sequences.

Toupal 05-12-2017 11:55 AM

I don't know much about FIFA's story mode. However, my fear for a story mode is a cookie cutter style setup where you have to follow along with some CGI story, and then you juts play games in between.

Yeah...THAT Guy 05-12-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toupal (Post 2048832312)
I don't know much about FIFA's story mode. However, my fear for a story mode is a cookie cutter style setup where you have to follow along with some CGI story, and then you juts play games in between.

That is exactly what FIFA's mode is.

Datninja619 05-12-2017 12:00 PM

Interesting sounds like Fifa was heavily focused on the story and cut scenes.

I can deal with that, but hopefully it's not a standard John Doe for every single person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk