Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports NHL (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   What you want from NHL 23? (/forums/showthread.php?t=999144)

LegendKillerOne 06-10-2022 01:32 PM

What you want from NHL 23?

For me to even consider buying NHL 23 I need one thing. I need the computer offense to be more realistic. Like actually taking shots from the point, not just going to the front of the goalie for every shot. How about setting up on the power play? Simple stuff

What would you like to see in NHL 23?

JoeRodgers1175 06-12-2022 11:47 PM

Re: What you want from NHL 23?

More ugly goals and scores off weird bounces and broken plays. Not every goal is a highlight-reel moment.

VeNOM3099 06-13-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendKillerOne (Post 2050608918)
For me to even consider buying NHL 23 I need one thing. I need the computer offense to be more realistic. Like actually taking shots from the point, not just going to the front of the goalie for every shot. How about setting up on the power play? Simple stuff

What would you like to see in NHL 23?

I was gonna say "more" Hockey, but there's barely any hockey in NHL 22 that it would be ridiculous to ask for more of something that barely exists in any form already.

To quote a metaphor I've always liked, if you're gonna build a house, make sure you build a strong foundation first. Before you add anything, you're game needs to be built off sound Hockey. We already know 23 will not be any different than the games that came before it; heck it's being developped by the same people who made NHL 16 and onward. 6 years down the line and they still can't come up with a good hockey game? And we're supposed to believe now you're gonna get it?? LOL!!

Here's an idea: drop the "NHL" name already and call it EA Presents Rock-em, Sock-em Hockey ft. Don Cherry. At least that way it'll still be "hockey", but no one will mistake it for NHL. You'll have huge hits, kooky plays, no passing or strategies of any kind. You can replace goalies by a bunch of barrels in front of the nets (It's practically already that). Just up and down skating with 15 goals per period, and people will be happy.

Leave the NHL stuff to people that can actually program a videogame of the SPORT (heck, just program A VIDEOGAME period!) called NHL Hockey. I don't care who; Ubisoft, 2K, Microsoft, Sony. Just please EA... Stop trying to make people believe that you know or care about the sport. You really don't. Just move on.

LegendKillerOne 06-15-2022 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeNOM3099 (Post 2050610028)
I was gonna say "more" Hockey, but there's barely any hockey in NHL 22 that it would be ridiculous to ask for more of something that barely exists in any form already.

To quote a metaphor I've always liked, if you're gonna build a house, make sure you build a strong foundation first. Before you add anything, you're game needs to be built off sound Hockey. We already know 23 will not be any different than the games that came before it; heck it's being developped by the same people who made NHL 16 and onward. 6 years down the line and they still can't come up with a good hockey game? And we're supposed to believe now you're gonna get it?? LOL!!

Here's an idea: drop the "NHL" name already and call it EA Presents Rock-em, Sock-em Hockey ft. Don Cherry. At least that way it'll still be "hockey", but no one will mistake it for NHL. You'll have huge hits, kooky plays, no passing or strategies of any kind. You can replace goalies by a bunch of barrels in front of the nets (It's practically already that). Just up and down skating with 15 goals per period, and people will be happy.

Leave the NHL stuff to people that can actually program a videogame of the SPORT (heck, just program A VIDEOGAME period!) called NHL Hockey. I don't care who; Ubisoft, 2K, Microsoft, Sony. Just please EA... Stop trying to make people believe that you know or care about the sport. You really don't. Just move on.

Were there different people in charge at EA when they made it in 14? Which some consider the best version? What changed with the team from 14 starting with 16?

VeNOM3099 06-17-2022 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendKillerOne (Post 2050610862)
Were there different people in charge at EA when they made it in 14? Which some consider the best version? What changed with the team from 14 starting with 16?

It's mostly been the same people since NHL 12-13, IIRC. Something's gotta change. And I don't think it's gonna happen at EA.

To be fair, NHL 14 was full of issues back in the Xbox 360/PS3 days, but it was leaps better than the current (and last) console generation versions. And to be fair, 2K wasn't that much better, it just had a different feel to the sport they were recreating. Less shiny façade (grfx) and more substance (gameplay).

Someone's gotta take a crack at the sport from a different angle. One that puts an emphasis on core hockey gameplay first and build a video game on top of that. Not the other way around.

The EVHL 06-17-2022 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeNOM3099 (Post 2050611946)
It's mostly been the same people since NHL 12-13, IIRC. Something's gotta change. And I don't think it's gonna happen at EA.

To be fair, NHL 14 was full of issues back in the Xbox 360/PS3 days, but it was leaps better than the current (and last) console generation versions. And to be fair, 2K wasn't that much better, it just had a different feel to the sport they were recreating. Less shiny façade (grfx) and more substance (gameplay).

Someone's gotta take a crack at the sport from a different angle. One that puts an emphasis on core hockey gameplay first and build a video game on top of that. Not the other way around.

This is the most frustrating part. Not that 14-Legacy were perfect by any means, but you can go back and play those games now and notice that the AI is actually much better than the current game. They have 100% dumbed-down the AI since the X1 generation and it's so insanely obvious to any long-time player.

13-Legacy they took a "sim" approach which was respectable, but lacked a lot of the technical aspects 19-22 have to make it more of a reachable goal. Now that they have the technical features to actually make a very respectable sim product, they're too busy prioritizing the michigan and the vasilevskiy animations to be bothered with bringing the AI up to speed and/or adding useful, non-gimmick animations to shooting, passing, puck receptions, goalies, etc to actually capitalize on their rather impressive technical foundation they've built.

The pieces are here in this game, the sliders prove that and when the AI is not having a mental meltdown, this game can look and feel great at times. They just need the vision and the dedication to polish the game and they'd have a product that can live in the wonderful world of being "sim" without being frustrating.

LegendKillerOne 06-22-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x (Post 2050612000)
This is the most frustrating part. Not that 14-Legacy were perfect by any means, but you can go back and play those games now and notice that the AI is actually much better than the current game. They have 100% dumbed-down the AI since the X1 generation and it's so insanely obvious to any long-time player.

13-Legacy they took a "sim" approach which was respectable, but lacked a lot of the technical aspects 19-22 have to make it more of a reachable goal. Now that they have the technical features to actually make a very respectable sim product, they're too busy prioritizing the michigan and the vasilevskiy animations to be bothered with bringing the AI up to speed and/or adding useful, non-gimmick animations to shooting, passing, puck receptions, goalies, etc to actually capitalize on their rather impressive technical foundation they've built.

The pieces are here in this game, the sliders prove that and when the AI is not having a mental meltdown, this game can look and feel great at times. They just need the vision and the dedication to polish the game and they'd have a product that can live in the wonderful world of being "sim" without being frustrating.

Agree that is why I need to see an overhaul of how the offense plays. I see everytime the CPU comes down the ice they head right to the net. Its like when they tested it who said this was hockey?

jakeywakey911 06-22-2022 11:57 AM

I also hope for more variety scoring and tip ins and re-directs working again.

Idk if it’s just me or did they totally nerf re-directs and tips later on throughout the year. Because I could swear when the game first came out I’d see them happen in front of the net, and now I never see it lol