Home

MLB.TV - Major League Baseball online

This is a discussion on MLB.TV - Major League Baseball online within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #753
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: MLB.TV - Major League Baseball online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
I'm not getting MLBTV, but I wish MLBTV on consoles actually allowed you to see game highlights(like the recap videos you'll see on mlb.com/the teams official website). Cause I have it on ps3(but don't subscribe to mlbtv) and for people who don't subscribe, all they can really view, is game scores and stats. Would have been cool to see game highlights once it was done. Especially on a big screen compared to a computer.
They do, actually. It takes about 12-24 hours hours or so) for them to show up, but they definitely have them, I'm 110% positive. The only way I ever watch MLB.TV is on my PS3, and I've seen the game recaps quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker_OS
Are the games on MLB.tv for PS3 broadcast in HD?

I'm torn between Extra Innings and MLB.tv
Yes. If you already have a DVR there is really no difference in service I guess. I've never had Extra Innings but I'm assuming it gives you the home-town announcer? Or how does that work?

I just like the convenience of MLB.TV in terms of the fact that when you're at someone else's house, or not even at a house at all... you can still stream games on your phone or wherever else. Which is great because I travel often.

They are definitely in HD though. Just double check your wifi/network and such, the PS3 app is set to automatically downgrade to SD mid-game, if it detects lag or internet issues. You can't directly turn this off either (but you can pause and wait a minute or two and the HD will re-buffer)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #754
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
And not sure why people hate the blackout rules so much. Much nicer than NHL's. Guess I've never had a problem since I've always had cable/satellite so I have no problem watching the games on my TV. Actually prefer it because then I can turn a game on my laptop if I want and flip between PS3 and TV for the Phillies, O's, or Nationals.
It's not so much the blackout concept when you are sitting at home, but when streaming to a mobile device, you can't because you are in the same area. It used not to work well on Android, but they since updated it and stopped allowing games that should have been blacked out. I understand wanting people to watch on TV, but if you are not at home, you won't be watching at all, so just let us stream it.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #755
Pro

OVR: 24

There's also the fact that the blackout map itself is really outdated. There's a lot of regions where you literally have no access to any live baseball games. Such as parts of Virginia, where you don't get any O's games or Nationals games or Braves games or anything, via live TV, because you aren't within range of those local networks...
yet if you try to use MLB.TV, odds are you are blacked out. There's more cases of this like in Illinois, Idaho, Iowa, etc...

For example, I live in Florida. With my previous cable provider, I did not get the Tampa Bay Rays' channel at all. And of course I am within the blackout area for MLB.TV feeds of the Tampa Rays...
Fortunately it didn't actually affect me because I only had this provider from October thru last week, but had I stayed with them, I'd be screwed the entire season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #756
Champs

Husker_OS's Arena

OVR: 39

Problem with Extra Innings is Charter doesn't offer it in HD. On the plus, I don't have to turn on my PS3 to watch out of market games if I have Extra Innings. I may just purchase both.

Alabama National Championships

1925-1926-1930-1934-1945-1961-1964-1965-1966-1978-1979-1992-2009-2011-2012-2015

"Fight on, fight on, fight on men! Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then..."
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #757
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Extra Innings is an actual cable broadcast, so you're getting consistent quality and a steady framerate. MLB.TV probably runs in about 30 FPS or less, which is a nuisance, but an acceptable one in the end. It is a streaming service, after all.

I get so many perks out of MLB.TV. Forget the fact that I watch two teams (Braves and Red Sox) and as many Giants games that I miss live for school and such, but I also watch strong pitching match-ups and rivalry match-ups, or anything else in between. As long as I don't know the outcome beforehand (they have to do better at hiding how "long" the game took though), it's okay with me. I also share it with my sister and husband, who pitch in a little for me. Massive win overall.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #758
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
And not sure why people hate the blackout rules so much.
Clearly..... it's racist.

Seriously.... humans = freedom = choice = satisfaction = some marketing people not getting that.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #759

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
They do, actually. It takes about 12-24 hours hours or so) for them to show up, but they definitely have them, I'm 110% positive. The only way I ever watch MLB.TV is on my PS3, and I've seen the game recaps quite often.
But maybe highlights are only for subscribers? Cause what I'm talking about is just like those 3-4 min game highlights you see on mlb.com. People shouldn't have to pay for MLBTV to get what they can easily get for free on their computers just by going to MLB.com
Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #760
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

I bought MLB.tv the last couple years so I could watch the Braves while away from home (Luckily, I get all the games televised). I did this by using a Location Spoofer on my phone so that I got around the blackout restrictions. Late last season though MLB updated their At Bat app so that it wouldn't allow Location Spoofers and all the Braves games were blacked out for me. I hope a new workaround will be discovered this year, otherwise it makes no sense for me to purchase the package since I get all the games anyway on TV.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »