Home

Are Baseball players the least conditioned athletes in team sports?

This is a discussion on Are Baseball players the least conditioned athletes in team sports? within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Are Baseball players the least conditioned athletes in team sports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
How so? I played college football and we ran wind sprints after 2 1/2 hr practices...even as a LB I was able to run them pretty easily.
Okay then, you're right. Baseball players are poorly conditioned.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
stewaat

OVR:

Stupid thread is stupid

Sorry they can't all look like this:

Or this...

They definitely run wind sprints all day and never come out of the game

Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #19
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

thanks Stew...I just threw up a little.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 2

CC Sabathia would be so much more lethal if he were in shape. He would have more stamina than he already has.

He would be faster, and could actually do what his name is alot better.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #21
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon64bit
But if you compare what other sports athletes go through, you can see how much better they are conditioned. MLB players are injured just as much as NFL players are, which is mind boggling because that is a full contact sport. Should something be done about the the conditioning of baseball players? Should athleticism be held to a higher standard in the league?

Another thing why aren't P. Fielder and D. Ortiz forced to get in shape like, other team sports athletes are???
A sizeable amount of injuries occur from being hit by a ball. Take a 90+mph pitch on your elbow, bat a couple of heaters off your toes, try and turn 2 w/ a runner bearing down on you ready to hit you like a linebacker and you have no pads on. Run down the first baseline full speed, and then smack your foot down on a base and land awkwardly coming on/off the bag....

Sooooo many ways to get injured when you're not being put squarely in someone's crosshairs, or slashing through a lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon64bit
Do you know how much more deadlier P. Fielder and D. Ortiz would be if they got in shape?
Fielder and Ortiz likely need some of that weight to torque their swing and drive the ball, slimming down to some "acceptable" standard would probably hurt their power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker_OS
Baseball players aren't well conditioned? LOL. They play 180+ games in a span of 7 months.
Really. This thread is redonkulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331
Yeah, not like that guy just ran 270 feet, or 90 yards, and then had to run another 30 yards to get to home. Not too many football players or basketball players or hockey players wouldn't be grasping for air following a 90 yard dash, with a brief break, and then continue for another 30.
Not only just running to get around the bases too, but running w/ a full head of steam knowing that their's someone in that OF getting that ball that can throw them out so they've got to give it EVERYTHING they've got to get to that bag.

Last edited by JBH3; 06-12-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #22
Rookie

Captain_Crazzzy's Arena

OVR: 1

Curling... worst "athletes" ever

but seriously yes in general baseball players are the least athletic of major sports. Its more of a skill game than an athletic game.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
A sizeable amount of injuries occur from being hit by a ball. Take a 90+mph pitch on your elbow, bat a couple of heaters off your toes, try and turn 2 w/ a runner bearing down on you ready to hit you like a linebacker and you have no pads on. Run down the first baseline full speed, and then smack your foot down on a base and land awkwardly coming on/off the bag....

Sooooo many ways to get injured when you're not being put squarely in someone's crosshairs, or slashing through a lane.

Fielder and Ortiz likely need some of that weight to torque their swing and drive the ball, slimming down to some "acceptable" standard would probably hurt their power.

Really. This thread is redonkulous.

Not only just running to get around the bases too, but running w/ a full head of steam knowing that their's someone in that OF getting that ball that can throw them out so they've got to give it EVERYTHING they've got to get to that bag.
I can see what you guys are saying by the 162 games a season, and the hard thrown baseballs causing injuries, but I still say that athleticism should be held to a higher standard in the league. I'm not saying that the fatsos (lol) in the league should slim down a lot, I can see they might need the weight to keep the power, but turning that fat into muscle could lead to better results, and is just plain healthy in the long run. Isn't health important too?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #24
Banned

Tarheel's Arena

OVR: 38

To add some perspective... I played 1st base in baseball (high school) and LB in football (high school and college)...no way are the conditioning requirements the same. Like someone said earlier, baseball is about skill where as football is more about physical conditioning. Not to knock baseball but it takes a month to recover from the end of a football season, but about a week for baseball.

As far as bruises and cuts...there are just as many ways to get hurt in football just as there are in baseball. Hitting someone's facemask with your forearm or slamming into your own teammate happens everyday in football.

Last edited by Tarheel; 06-12-2010 at 09:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »