Home

2013 Hall of Fame Ballot Discussion

This is a discussion on 2013 Hall of Fame Ballot Discussion within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #121
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: 2013 Hall of Fame Ballot Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
One more thing. Roger Clemens speaks (sort of)

http://twitter.com/rogerclemens/stat.../photo/1/large
Spoiler
Ugh. Chief among the BBWAA's crimes today: making Roger Clemens an almost sympathetic figure. Gross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #122
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30
Biggio, Piazza, and Bagwell should have been voted in. I'm just not sure on Morris, it's difficult because he played before my time and his raw statistics are a mix of very good to just average.

I would have held off on voting for Bonds and Clemens and co. until next year when I would reassess. I believe I would likely vote for Bonds and Clemens next year but am unsure of the rest.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #123
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Fixed that for you. There is no argument for Piazza not being in the HoF.
Better numbers than Yogi but overall I like Bench and Yogi over Piazza. There is no direct proof of any PED use by Piazza but some might argue here's a kid who wasn't even drafted or was an insanely high pick who got better too quick. Then his numbers immediately went into the crapper as soon as they started testing. I say let all the roid guys in save maybe Palmiero. I watched Bonds in 2001 get maybe 10 pitches he could even reach in a week and hit 'em all. Roids help with power and recovery but they sure as hell don't help you make contact.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #124
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19

Excellent article here by Stark IMO:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hof13/story/_...b-hall-fame-be
NBA: Heat
NCAA: Florida & Miss State
NFL: Whichever team currently has the most of my favorite college players
NHL: Caps
Tennis: The Joker & Sloane Stevens
WWE: Dean Ambrose
Misc: Anybody wearing a Team USA jersey
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #125
Rookie

OVR: 0

If ANY of those Drug Players get in then PETE ROSE Should be in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #126
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Ugh. Chief among the BBWAA's crimes today: making Roger Clemens an almost sympathetic figure. Gross.
Yeah, but at least we can laugh at the fact that he practically used Comic Sans for his statement and said "Muchie Peachie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33057
Big difference as Pete Rose is banned and none of the players from the "steroid era" are. I think Pete Rose should be in, but the situations are different. Rose isn't even allowed to be voted on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon13
Biggio, Piazza, and Bagwell should have been voted in. I'm just not sure on Morris, it's difficult because he played before my time and his raw statistics are a mix of very good to just average.

I would have held off on voting for Bonds and Clemens and co. until next year when I would reassess. I believe I would likely vote for Bonds and Clemens next year but am unsure of the rest.
I just don't get this. What changes in a year other than the date on the calendar? Is that a "punishment" or something? How many years is a proper punishment before they can get voted in?

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 01-09-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #127
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers
Better numbers than Yogi but overall I like Bench and Yogi over Piazza. There is no direct proof of any PED use by Piazza but some might argue here's a kid who wasn't even drafted or was an insanely high pick who got better too quick. Then his numbers immediately went into the crapper as soon as they started testing. I say let all the roid guys in save maybe Palmiero. I watched Bonds in 2001 get maybe 10 pitches he could even reach in a week and hit 'em all. Roids help with power and recovery but they sure as hell don't help you make contact.
I wouldn't say there was an immediate drop off in his numbers, any stranger than another player getting old. As a catcher for all of those years, his body was worn down and he got injured. He went from .300, to .280, to .286, and then stayed around there in his mid to late 30's. Home runs from 36, to 33, injury season, and then hovered around 20 with decreasing at bats. It's not like he went from 55 to 14 over a healthy offseason. Also, there is something to be said about hard work, for those arguing he was drafted as a favor. I mean, for a lot of athletes, that's the motivation you need to prove people wrong and work harder. Though I understand you're just playing devil's advocate.

It's just disappointing to see the writer's make an attempt at erasing an entire era's players from the history books, and not enshrining any of them, clean or not, suspected or not, implicated or not. It's not even an innocent until proven guilty thing, they're just claiming everyone guilty. I don't know. I'm sure I'll get over it soon enough, but as of right now, the HOF is completely irrelevant to me until the players that deserve to be there are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33057
If you like peanut butter, then you like dogs. The two are completely unrelated. I agree that Pete should be in, but the situations are entirely separate from one another.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #128
Banned

OVR: 55

I'm sure that Rose's "lifetime" ban will be overturned the year after he dies and he will be voted in on the first shot.

Now if they would only lift the ban on Jackson as well. Almost a century has passed for ****'s sake.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »