Home

MLB Draft 2017

This is a discussion on MLB Draft 2017 within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7
MLB Draft 2017

Twins have the 1st pick...........Who do you think should go number 1?

MLB Did a Mock Draft.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/235886...017-mlb-draft/

If Mets can get Pearson as projected, there's our closer.

Here's Baseball America's Mock Draft

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...cmUcW3aI2BI.97
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: MLB Draft 2017

To satisfy my heart, I want Boston to take Alex Lange. But I'd be fine with the mock consensus of Jake Burger out of Missouri State. It'd be nice to be solid at 3rd.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Apparently this isn't the greatest draft in the world. There certainly isn't a transcendent star in the making at least but i've heard it's relatively deep. The picks mentioned for the Jays seem reasonable so i'll just watch and see where the chips fall.

It will be interesting if the Twins allow McKay to continue to be a two-way player in pro ball. Jim Callis was recently on MLB Tonight and said that the Twins would allow him to pursue that in his first year but want to transition him to being a pitcher only.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #4

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Apparently this isn't the greatest draft in the world. There certainly isn't a transcendent star in the making at least but i've heard it's relatively deep. The picks mentioned for the Jays seem reasonable so i'll just watch and see where the chips fall.

It will be interesting if the Twins allow McKay to continue to be a two-way player in pro ball. Jim Callis was recently on MLB Tonight and said that the Twins would allow him to pursue that in his first year but want to transition him to being a pitcher only.
It's hard to get excited about the MLB draft when there's no guarantees anyone becomes a star regardless where they're picked, and we won't be seeing draft picks in the majors for awhile. Unlike NBA where top picks are in the league the following year making an impact.

But regardless, hopefully Jays with 2 picks in first round can do something good. That's one of main things their management was able to do well in Cleveland, so hopefully they bring that over here too.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
It's hard to get excited about the MLB draft when there's no guarantees anyone becomes a star regardless where they're picked, and we won't be seeing draft picks in the majors for awhile. Unlike NBA where top picks are in the league the following year making an impact.

But regardless, hopefully Jays with 2 picks in first round can do something good. That's one of main things their management was able to do well in Cleveland, so hopefully they bring that over here too.
True.......But when the Mets drafted Dominic Smith in 2013 and Michael Conforto in 2014, I was dancing the jig.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

Majingir's Arena

I'm sure the teams who also drafted Beckham,Hochevar,Upton,Bush,Young,Bullington among many others were probably also happy lol.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
I'm sure the teams who also drafted Beckham,Hochevar,Upton,Bush,Young,Bullington among many others were probably also happy lol.
The MLB Draft is far more of a crapshoot than the other drafts, but let's not act like the other drafts aren't full of busts. Honestly, with the MLB draft it's more about depth (quality/quantity). I always feel like teams that maximize their draft picks instead of landing that one or two big names are better off.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #8

Majingir's Arena

Other drafts got busts, but not nearly the MLB level when it comes to 1st overall picks.

And baseball in general I think it's more about developing than drafting. Draft all the highly touted guys you want, if your development sucks, they won't be good. Obviously applies to all sports, but I feel it's more true about baseball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »