Home

2017 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

This is a discussion on 2017 MLB Trade Deadline Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2017 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

I wonder if the Mets will deal Matt Harvey.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #10
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Regarding the Blue Jays, the word on the street from the American reporters out there is that Shapiro desperately wants to reboot the Blue Jays but can't do that to the fans. IMO Shapiro put himself in a box all throughout this season with his comments about not wanting to alienate fans and his last major statement about how moving their best players would be a "violent disruption". So now if he and Atkins change their mind and actually go through a tear down those kind of quotes will be used as a club to bash the front office with. Honestly I think being pragmatic and honest would've worked more. Fans aren't stupid. They see this Jays team struggling mightily and know that the core right now isn't going to do it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. There's a clear choice for Shapiro/Atkins either try to trade pending Free Agents and retool in the offseason or do a rebuild short of a classic fire sale scenario. Right now we're hearing all kinds of things up here from the Cardinals wanting Donaldson to the possibility that Smoak may be traded. The Astros covet a bona fide top flight starter (and they probably need such) if they can't get that A class guy they may have to start looking at the 2nd tier. I would probably cry internally but the realist in me would not be opposed to holding the 'Stros at gunpoint and saying we'll give up Stroman for some of their best prospects who are knocking on the door to the MLB level.

We'll see what happens. I'm actually really hoping they can pry Dee Gordon from Miami as he'd be the perfect guy to bat leadoff and he would be here for a few years too.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #11

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

If that's actually his mentality, then it's JP Ricciardi all over again. Not letting this team rebuild, but not being good either. Being the ultimate .500 team. This isn't the NBA Eastern Conference, .500 doesn't get you in playoffs. Either go for playoffs or develop young talent.

If they actually decide to just be a middle team again, then that's even worse than rebuilding. At least rebuilding fans will know your plan and know you're trying to get better for the future(look at the Leafs and how much fans jumped on that rebuilding bandwagon. Fans have never had more fun losing because they believed in the Leafs plan for the future)..

Just hope this doesn't hurt baseball in Toronto. Really don't know if this market can take another decade or two with being a non playoff team. Bad enough going 2 decades without a playoff berth, but possibly having those 15-16 seasons being the only playoffs in a 30-40 year timespan....The market can't survive that can they?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #12
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

OVR: 20

Colby Rasmus is stepping away from baseball.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #13
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0

Cubs got fleeced in that trade. Trading all that for a mediocre pitcher? Trying too hard to salvage their season. Reminds me of when the M's dealt Adam Jones+++ for Bedard. Or Shin Shoo Choo for Eduardo Perez. Ok I need to stop depressing my self.

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows

Last edited by Godgers12; 07-13-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
If that's actually his mentality, then it's JP Ricciardi all over again. Not letting this team rebuild, but not being good either. Being the ultimate .500 team. This isn't the NBA Eastern Conference, .500 doesn't get you in playoffs. Either go for playoffs or develop young talent.

If they actually decide to just be a middle team again, then that's even worse than rebuilding. At least rebuilding fans will know your plan and know you're trying to get better for the future(look at the Leafs and how much fans jumped on that rebuilding bandwagon. Fans have never had more fun losing because they believed in the Leafs plan for the future)..

Just hope this doesn't hurt baseball in Toronto. Really don't know if this market can take another decade or two with being a non playoff team. Bad enough going 2 decades without a playoff berth, but possibly having those 15-16 seasons being the only playoffs in a 30-40 year timespan....The market can't survive that can they?
I think the main difference is that Shapiro comes from a development background and has already done a lot of good in restocking the farm system. The economics are also quite different as well since Rogers has tasted the success of huge attendance and being in the postseason they're going to be willing to have a big payroll. The situation is also a bit different than Ricciardi's time frame in that this has been a very successful team for the last couple years. It's a lot older than the Jays team that Ricciardi inherited so going younger and more athletic is actually a need rather than some kind of preconceived plan on Shapiro's part.

Let's see what happens over the next year and a half before we start doom and glooming.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #15
Chaos Theory

19's Arena

OVR: 29

Nicely done Rick Hahn, nicely done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I wonder if the Mets will deal Matt Harvey.
I, as a Mets fan, really don't see a market for Harvey.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »