Home

Greg Anthony and Stephen A. Smith on NBA Shootaround

This is a discussion on Greg Anthony and Stephen A. Smith on NBA Shootaround within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Greg Anthony and Stephen A. Smith on NBA Shootaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelldarim31
Taking a look at the 20 Year Old Age Limit

Biggest Rookie Impacts in NBA History:

+36 Wins (1997-98) ... Tim Duncan ... 21 Years Old
+35 Wins (1989-90) ... David Robinson ... 24 Years Old
+32 Wins (1979-80) ... Larry Bird ... 23 Years Old
+29 Wins (1969-70) ... Lew Alcindor ... 22 Years Old

All over 20 years old... Hmm... I'm beginning to side with the age-limit... it will be better for teams in time... Lets just look at the Big Name Under-20 Year Olds now...

Jermaine O'Neal ... +5
Kobe Bryant ... +3
Kevin Garnett ... +5
Tracy McGrady ... -14 (OOOOF!)
Lebron James ... +18 ... GOOD JOB LEBRON! ... but not good enough ... you still Missed the Playoffs!

Carmelo Anthony ... +26 ... HE IS YOUR ONLY ARGUMENT!!!

Now name another one!!! ... Thats right... there isn't another one!
That is not really balance. You basicly took 3 of the greatest basketball players ever (Bird, Kareem, and Robinson) and use them as the standard. Duncan team did you so well because Robinson was injured the whole year before and then came back the next year.

From the list of under 20 guys, 2 of them went to expansion teams and all of them are all-star players. You cant really ask to much more from them.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:54 PM   #34
D*d*c*t*d M*t f*n

Metman24's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

All over 20 years old... Hmm... I'm beginning to side with the age-limit... it will be better for teams in time... Lets just look at the Big Name Under-20 Year Olds now...

Jermaine O'Neal ... +5
Kobe Bryant ... +3
Kevin Garnett ... +5
Lebron James ... +18 ... GOOD JOB LEBRON! ... but not good enough ... you still Missed the Playoffs!

Without a list of College graduates that have had little to no impact on the records of the teams that drafted them, the this argument is one sided. The bulk of lottery picks wind up on really bad teams, (except when the lottery is fixed, Duncan, Ewing...) therefore making large victory turnarounds next to impossible.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #35
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:

Jermaine O'Neal ... +5
Kobe Bryant ... +3
Kevin Garnett ... +5

1. Duncan went to a an already year in year out playoff team on the spurs.

2. David Robinson had his time to spend in the navy and came back a grown man.

3. Bird is an all time great.

4. Kareem joined a player on the bucks who was at the time a big time scorer which made their team stronger when he got their not to mention the bucks the year before were an expansion team that was in flux trading guys left and right.

5. O'neal went to a team that was in the playoffs for like 15 stragiht seasons, kobe went to a team where he had to sit behind eddie jones who at the time was supposed to grow into a star and McGrady/Garnett went to expansion teams
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #36
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Frank Hill of Foxsports.com...Great arguments against the age limit..

Quote:
Early draft entry helps guarantee that more college scholarships will be given to kids who may actually want to be in school. Remember, the world may be running thin on alternative sources of fuel, but it'll never run out of basketball talent.

Critics who bark in regard to the potential ruination of a young player's life really don't give a rip about the kid. Most of these sharpies enjoy watching college basketball and — despite the caliber of the 2005 NCAA tournament — believe an age limit would enhance that competition.
It should be noted that a high school kid (and this jump only should be made by those with the tools to do so) drafted in the first round always can afford to attend college if he fails in basketball.

However, enrolling after sacrificing his eligibility does nothing for critics who wanted to see him play for their favorite school.

If LeBron James is an exception, what does that make quick studies named Amare Stoudemire, Dwight Howard, Shaun Livingston, J.R. Smith, Josh Smith and Al Jefferson?

Using preps-to-pros failures named DeAngelo Collins, Lenny Cooke and Leon Smith as poster boys for attending college is stupid. Collins and Cooke lacked the academic portfolio to qualify for Division I scholarship and Smith was an emotional train wreck who would have been a disaster at any level.
At best, an age limit would assist in saving NBA general managers from themselves.

Since when did attending college become an advanced method for reaching emotional maturity? Did your maturity level increase while living on campus? Or did maturity arrive with onset of your professional career? For many American kids, college only postpones the leap into adulthood.

For every misstep made by college-skippers Kobe Bryant and O'Neal, we have a knucklehead incident starring four-year collegians Damon Stoudamire and Latrell Sprewell.

If social watchdogs worry about the precedent when inner-city kids skip college to enter the NBA Draft, how do they feel about hundreds of inner-city kids skipping college for a shot at acting or the music industry?
Considering the relative numbers, the NBA Draft doesn't seem like much of a social problem to me.

If you think young NBA players aren't being coached, you've never heard of development coaches such as Tim Grgurich, Chip Engelland and Marc Iavaroni. Despite the 82-game schedule, NBA players have more time to invest in skill building than they'd have in college.
Due to NCAA rules, college coaches have ridiculously little time to work with players in the off-season.

It's interesting to note that a university is allowed to drop possible decision-altering loot on a potential recruit's youth program, but not have sufficient time to develop that player's individual skills once he's enrolled.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 04-15-2005, 08:22 PM   #37
Banned

Programmed2Kill's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceanity2k3
Frank Hill of Foxsports.com...Great arguments against the age limit..

It's the same ol' tired "How dare you" speech from all those that are against the age limit.

"Critics who bark in regard to the potential ruination of a young player's life really don't give a rip about the kid. Most of these sharpies enjoy watching college basketball and — despite the caliber of the 2005 NCAA tournament — believe an age limit would enhance that competition."

False, dummy. How about we all want a better league overall? Why don't you people say anything about that? Wouldn't you want to go back to the great play of basketball...where guys could actually shoot....use actual post moves...didn't play isolation ball all the time...play some damn defense....would you all like that? Wouldn't you like guys who at least played two years in college that could come in an turn a franchise around like Chris Webber and Jason Kidd? Why wouldn't anybody want a better league?

This is the one question I have for all of you so much against the age limit:

Why do you care so much? Since when you you people care about these players' lives? "Why do you want to deprive a player from earning money?" Why do you care about players earning and not earning money? Are they giving you some of it? No. So why do you care so darn much?

Did you all care before Kevin Garnett came out? Were you all screaming about high schoolers not being able to get paid when the league was great, especially during the time of the '92 Olympics?

You could come back and say "Well, why do you care so much about being for an age limit?" There's a difference. I want a better brand of NBA basketball. I can guarantee 100% of us want a better brand of basketball. That's all I care about and I feel that is a totally legit reason for wanting an age limit. Honestly, I could care less about the players not being able to come out of high school and not earn millions of dollars? Why the heck should I? It's not going to make me feel better? Wow, I should care so much about some doofus who couldn't solve an Algebra I problem if his life depended on it, but has a 42" vertical. Why should I? Nor do I care about the player who does take pride in his education. He's going to make it regardless. Isiah Thomas made it out of the ghetto and he waited his time. Why can't some high schooler who doesn't have the talent Thomas had in his pinky finger?

Why do you care so much?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmed2Kill
It's the same ol' tired "How dare you" speech from all those that are against the age limit.

"Critics who bark in regard to the potential ruination of a young player's life really don't give a rip about the kid. Most of these sharpies enjoy watching college basketball and — despite the caliber of the 2005 NCAA tournament — believe an age limit would enhance that competition."

False, dummy. How about we all want a better league overall? Why don't you people say anything about that? Wouldn't you want to go back to the great play of basketball...where guys could actually shoot....use actual post moves...didn't play isolation ball all the time...play some damn defense....would you all like that? Wouldn't you like guys who at least played two years in college that could come in an turn a franchise around like Chris Webber and Jason Kidd? Why wouldn't anybody want a better league?

This is the one question I have for all of you so much against the age limit:

Why do you care so much? Since when you you people care about these players' lives? "Why do you want to deprive a player from earning money?" Why do you care about players earning and not earning money? Are they giving you some of it? No. So why do you care so darn much?

Did you all care before Kevin Garnett came out? Were you all screaming about high schoolers not being able to get paid when the league was great, especially during the time of the '92 Olympics?

You could come back and say "Well, why do you care so much about being for an age limit?" There's a difference. I want a better brand of NBA basketball. I can guarantee 100% of us want a better brand of basketball. That's all I care about and I feel that is a totally legit reason for wanting an age limit. Honestly, I could care less about the players not being able to come out of high school and not earn millions of dollars? Why the heck should I? It's not going to make me feel better? Wow, I should care so much about some doofus who couldn't solve an Algebra I problem if his life depended on it, but has a 42" vertical. Why should I? Nor do I care about the player who does take pride in his education. He's going to make it regardless. Isiah Thomas made it out of the ghetto and he waited his time. Why can't some high schooler who doesn't have the talent Thomas had in his pinky finger?

Why do you care so much?

Didnt Isaih Thomas leave after his soph year then years later earned his degree from IU. If they really want an education send them to Morehouse most D-1 schools only see these kids as dollars bills.

Peace
Old 04-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #39
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
If they really want an education send them to Morehouse most D-1 schools only see these kids as dollars bills.

Peace
Exactly. I can respect (although not agree with) the argument to keep the 20-unders out b/c it has the potential to water-down the league. But not b/c we need to make them get 2 years worth of education when education will NOT be their focus once they get to campus.

Just look at the fail to graduate rates among the BB players at these schools.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:54 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

18-year olds are not the reason the league's in somewhat of a funk. These kids could go to school two years and still come into the league salivating at the chance to "be like Mike". For one thing, the NBA has become a player dominated league. It's me, me, me. Coaches are constantly looking over both shoulders and GMs are as well. Players get what they want and when a team has a stretch of losing say 11 out of 19, that coach is skating on thin ice. You could cite so many examples of this over the past few years its staggering. Quit blaming the kids, start blaming the GMs and owners who pamper them and make them feel like gods.
3.Minutemen(and Mike Watt's later stuff after Boon died)
4.Meat Puppets
5.The Pixies
There's a ton of others and although these guys are nothing new, they beat the **** out of 95% of the bull**** today.(Nickelback is the ****ing antichrist)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »