Home

What is the most important position on the floor?

This is a discussion on What is the most important position on the floor? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Most important position on the floor?
Point Guard 5 83.33%
Shooting Guard 0 0%
Small Forward 0 0%
Power Forward 0 0%
Center 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: What is the most important position on the floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbase22
I disagree, on lower levels I would say center. A good center will control the boards against lower level competition and get you easy buckets in the paint. The point guard, if he doesn't have players who can finish or shoot is limited to the scoring that he can do. Just my opinion.
A center isn't getting easy buckets in the paint of his PG can't get him the rock.

Yeah I can see why you would think that way, it can go either way. I just like that a PG is the leader and facilitates the whole show. But obviously a great big man can be an enormous asset.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 10-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #10
MVP

SpacemanSpiff's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
A center isn't getting easy buckets in the paint of his PG can't get him the rock.

Yeah I can see why you would think that way, it can go either way. I just like that a PG is the leader and facilitates the whole show. But obviously a great big man can be an enormous asset.
I definitely don't underestimate how the PG runs the whole show but I was just thinking, for the lower levels of play, if a Center is really dominant, would be more useful than a really good PG who's passing is negated by a lack of good teammates. He might make those teammates better but the Center can rebound and score and block shots in the paint. Those are three very important aspects of basketball. I guess we probably need to clarify how low of a level of basketball this is, lol.
NCAA: UNC
Old 10-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #11
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Doesn't really matter to me because you can see SF's that play the point and PG's that go for the rebound. Maybe in the 60's when the game was played more traditionally - where everyone did what they were supposed to do in their position, but today it doesn't really matter. The Lakers got to the finals withouth a real PG, the Pistons never had a real scorer (Hamilton is great but he's not that consistent unfortunately), the Mavs didn't have a real C etc...
It's all about the coaching staff having a plan to maximize the productivity of the team.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Doesn't really matter to me because you can see SF's that play the point and PG's that go for the rebound. Maybe in the 60's when the game was played more traditionally - where everyone did what they were supposed to do in their position, but today it doesn't really matter. The Lakers got to the finals withouth a real PG, the Pistons never had a real scorer (Hamilton is great but he's not that consistent unfortunately), the Mavs didn't have a real C etc...
It's all about the coaching staff having a plan to maximize the productivity of the team.
Well you have to put the Lakers in context... the Bulls never had any "real" point guard either, but the one thing both teams have in common is that they had GREAT combo guards(#1 and #2 all time) in Jordan and Kobe. And not only that, they had some of the best passing forwards in the league(Odom, Pippen) who were extremely versatile and could do anything on a basketball court...

Now, when Kobe had Shaq, no, they didn't have any "real" point guards or point forwards for that matter, which is exactly why his assist totals then were higher than they are now.

There are positions that are more important than others as far as what the players do from it... as evidenced by most teams winning championships with dominant big men on both sides of the floor(or being AMAZING on one side), but a great coach is a coach that is able to negate a weakness in his team(like Phil Jackson with his lack of PG's) and turn it into an advantage(running large players at the point to create mismatches). That's basically what Phil's triangle is all about... mismatches.

As far as the actual question, I would say the center position is the most important because of his ability to control an entire game by slowing its tempo. Having a great center leads to less fastbreaks for the other team(because most shots are close to the basket), less easy baskets at the bucket, and a high percentage offense 'cuz of the defense needing to double down, allowing the Center to hit the open man and initiate the swinging of the ball...

Look what Olajuwon was able to do with a lack of talent(old Clyde Drexler, Sam Cassell, and Robert Horry... you kidding?!) or what Kevin Garnett did with the Celtics this year(if he isn't on that team, they probably win 30-40 games), or what Greg Oden will do for the Blazers this year(they're a playoff team, mark my words), or what Ewing brought to the Knicks(who also weren't TOO talented in my mind), or what Robinson brought to the Spurs', or what Duncan has been bringing to the Spurs'(championships) for the past 9 years... Being able to dominate a game through a post is instrumental in building a dynasty, unless your players are UNREAL and are not "dime a dozen," ala Jordan, Kobe, Pippen... I guess you could throw Centers in the "not dime a dozen" lot too...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbase22
I guess we probably need to clarify how low of a level of basketball this is, lol.

That's true, lol. We're being pretty vague here!

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

For me, it's easily the Point Guard. As far as today's game is concerned.

I've said this plenty before, without solid point guard play, the team will suffer.

Just think about all the teams that advanced in the first round last year (Note: Lakers excluded because they have three ball handlers, the PG isn't the only one controlling the ball):

- The Hornets Chris Paul outplayed Dallas' PGs
- Deron Williams outplayed Houston's PGs
- Tony Parker outplayed Steve Nash
- Rajon Rondo outplayed Bibby
- Billups started playing well to beat the Sixers. Outplayed Miller to take series.
- You will see in the Orlando/Toronto series that Howard dominated. But, also take note that in the games they won, Jameer Nelson had very solid games in their wins. The only game Toronto won, was the only game TJ Ford and Jose Calderon had good games.
- The Wizards point guards brought nothing to the table.

Point guard play was the common factor in all of the teams moving on.

If Center was the most important position today, then the Rockets would easily have gotten past the first round in their last four tries. They are a prime example. Yao clearly outclasses any opponents center in all of his series. But, he still could not get out of the first round.

They also won all of those games in a row last season, WITHOUT YAO. Their best player, who also happens to be a center. How? Because Rafer played well in his absence. Last playoffs, in the games they won, Rafer Alston played well. The Rockets lost both games he didn't play, and lost the games where he was a non factor.

Rajon Rondo had a great series against the Lakers in the finals.

So for me it's easily the point guard. Without solid point guard play, your team will suffer. Good point guard play, makes everything easier for your team.

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 10-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #15
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

I'd say having a point guard that takes care of the ball is a necessity if you want to win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLinn
I'd say having a point guard that takes care of the ball is a necessity if you want to win.
I agree. Hes the one that gets everyone else involved. You can look at all levels and any sort of basketball situations. Has to be the PG

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »