Home

What is the most important position on the floor?

This is a discussion on What is the most important position on the floor? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Most important position on the floor?
Point Guard 5 83.33%
Shooting Guard 0 0%
Small Forward 0 0%
Power Forward 0 0%
Center 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: What is the most important position on the floor?

i'm not so sure its the PG thats most important, its your primary ballhandler that is the most important. in certain offenses that is different. but your primary ballhandler has to be great
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 30

If nothing else can be figured out about the positions, it can certainly be said that point guards are the most overrated position in all of sports.

The last standing All NBA PG to win a chip was Magic in 1988.

Since the start of the Bulls' first 3 peat, here is the position breakdown of standing All NBA players to win the chip:

PG: 0
SG: 11
SF: 6
PF: 5 (1)
C: 7 (11)

The () is counting Duncan as a C instead of PF. It seems pretty clear that the big man or 2 guard is the way to go to win a championship.

In terms of Finals appearances, it moves to:

PG: 6
SG: 16
SF: 9
PF: 9 (5)
C: 10 (14)

These counts are by no means exact or perfect, but they drive the point home.
PG <<<<<<<< C or SG

Saying you need a PG that can take care of the ball is really pointless. That's like saying a team needs a big man that can at least rebound and play solid defense.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
If nothing else can be figured out about the positions, it can certainly be said that point guards are the most overrated position in all of sports.

The last standing All NBA PG to win a chip was Magic in 1988.

Since the start of the Bulls' first 3 peat, here is the position breakdown of standing All NBA players to win the chip:

PG: 0
SG: 11
SF: 6
PF: 5 (1)
C: 7 (11)

The () is counting Duncan as a C instead of PF. It seems pretty clear that the big man or 2 guard is the way to go to win a championship.

In terms of Finals appearances, it moves to:

PG: 6
SG: 16
SF: 9
PF: 9 (5)
C: 10 (14)

These counts are by no means exact or perfect, but they drive the point home.
PG <<<<<<<< C or SG

Saying you need a PG that can take care of the ball is really pointless. That's like saying a team needs a big man that can at least rebound and play solid defense.
Nice post. I dont know if its all perfect either but looks like you put some work into it.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't know if I would say that point guard is over-rated and I definitely wouldn't say that that it is the most overrated in all of sports. While it may not be the most important in some people's minds, when people have a great point guard and a decent supporting cast, they normally do a little something. D-Will, CP3, Nash, and Kidd seem to make the playoffs most years. I personally believe that any guy on your team who can will his teammates into playing better and lead the team is the most important and a lot of the time that seems to be a point guard (not all of the time but most of the time). Other players like Tyson Chandler and Carlos Boozer do not run the show for their teams. You don't see Amare out there dishing the ball out. That is the job of a special and efficient floor leader and great player. So I don't believe it is over-rated most definitely, especially because the players who win all-nba honors have no say in themselves to win a championship. It is still a team game at the end of the day.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
D-Will, CP3, Nash, and Kidd seem to make the playoffs most years.
The best players at every position make the playoffs. Point guards don't win championships compared to other positions. That's not even arguable; it's a fact.

Quote:
Other players like Tyson Chandler and Carlos Boozer do not run the show for their teams
And Fisher and Rondo don't run the show for theirs.

Quote:
especially because the players who win all-nba honors have no say in themselves to win a championship. It is still a team game at the end of the day.
Because point guards by nature tend to have a serious problem taking over games in the clutch. Kobe and Wade can take over a game. Lebron and Pierce can will a team to victory. Duncan and old Shaq could do that. Where does the best point guard come into the discussion of the best crunch time player? Top 15-20?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #22
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Because point guards by nature tend to have a serious problem taking over games in the clutch. Kobe and Wade can take over a game. Lebron and Pierce can will a team to victory. Duncan and old Shaq could do that. Where does the best point guard come into the discussion of the best crunch time player? Top 15-20?
Magic Johnson was a great crunch player. John Stockton could hit the game winner. Nash, The Big-O, Paul, Zeke won quite a few games for their teams, Bob Cousy, Walt Frazier. The list goes on of players who played the point and could take over a game at will.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Magic Johnson was a great crunch player. John Stockton could hit the game winner. Nash, The Big-O, Paul, Zeke won quite a few games for their teams, Bob Cousy, Walt Frazier. The list goes on of players who played the point and could take over a game at will.
Not a lot of recent examples. None really.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #24
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

Steve Nash and Chris Paul are pretty recent if you ask me. John Stockton is pretty recent as well. But D-Will can take over a game. And with this new generation of point guards some more will be added to the list within 3-4 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »