Home

2009 NBA Draft

This is a discussion on 2009 NBA Draft within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: 2009 NBA Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Knicks...PLEASE roll the dice on Curry.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can play him at SG in a 3-guard lineup.

Just get him in a Knicks uniform and give him the damn green light.

i will like him on the knicks but we need a big man

but why no ones talks about johnny Flynn?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEBRONSTOPPER24
but why no ones talks about johnny Flynn?
Because this is a thread about the 2009 NBA draft
Old 03-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #43
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State-31 UNC-27
Henderson's handle on the ball still needs major improvement for him to be solid in the NBA. He relied very heavily on getting to the rim with pure athleticism against college defenders and picks the ball up extremely early on his drives. Shot is definitely developing though.

ESPN has James Johnson at 13 right now, that has bust written all over it. NBA body but his skills are mediocre

Love Ed Davis for UNC but don't see him coming out. Also like Cole Aldrich
James Johnson has NBA skills but he has a HS bball IQ.

I think there are going to be a lot of guys testing the water this year.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 27

Just wondering how some of you feel about Gerald Henderson now???

Like I said, he's Dahntay Jones 2009.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #45
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Well I picked him to "bust", but in this draft calling someone a bust isn't really fair. It's pretty clear there's only one guy who is expected to be a big-time player.

Hendo's not going to get volume shots like he does in college.

IMO he'll probably turn out to be a Morris Peterson type.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #46
All Star

cubsfan203's Arena

OVR: 24

Evans might have pushed himself to a top 20 pick with tonight's game.

Coaching Career of Chris Matthews (CH2k8)
The Legend of Ocho Ocho
Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
IMO he'll probably turn out to be a Morris Peterson type.

Even that's a stretch. Although, I like Henderson better defensively at the next level than MoPete.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #48
Banned

Brankles's Arena

OVR: 23

I'm just gonna go through DraftExpress.com's current top 30 real quick and drop some knowledge on each pick. This is by far my least knowledgable year as far as drafts go in the past 6 or 7 years, but I'll do my best.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/

1. Blake Griffin - Obviously a great player, but his work ethic is what stands out most to me. Has the talent and the mentality to be a good player and is the obvious #1 pick here based on potential and skill.

2. James Harden - Probably my favorite college player right now. Great bball IQ. 2 might be a little high, I was liking him as a mid first-rounder last year, but he will be a solid NBA player his whole career. Reminds me of a Paul Pierce type of player, not that athletic, but knows how to use his body and create plays.

3. Jordan Hill - Didn't really know much about him, but liked the few games I saw Arizona play. Has a legitimate jumpshot and is really athletic. Reminds me of a more athletic Udonis Haslem. Won't be a star but will be a good role player that will end up starting the rest of his career due to his ability to rebound and stretch the floor.

4. Hasheem Thabeet - Lacks balance and footwork to become a star. Defense is the obvious reason to draft him, but he got beasted this season by bulky big men, guys he will see every night in the NBA. If my team drafted him, I dunno if I would like it, but as long as teams know they're getting a skinny weakside shotblocker (and not much else) and are alright with it, he will find his place.

5. Brandon Jennings - Don't know too much about him. Europe has good talent and him getting used to a pro system probably did him a lot of good. From youtube video and scout accounts, has the talent to play in the league. He should be somewhere in between Monta Ellis and Sebastian Telfair.

6. Gerald Henderson - A lot of people hate him. I don't really like him going 6th, I don't see the star potential. Athletic and has a solid jumpshot, he should find a spot somewhere and will have a long NBA career, just not as an All-Star or first option on his team.

7. Willie Warren - Tough kid. Dajuan Wagner type of body build. Warren reminds me of a DCAllAmerican type of guard, real athletic and quick with a streaky jumpshot and can score points in a hurry. I could see him being better than both Henderson and Jennings, but he is an undersized 2 guard, which is a downside.

8. Stephen Curry - We've all seen Curry play and we all know he can shoot. What I like about him is that he has handle, isn't a horrible defender (is up there in the nation in steals), can create for himself, has a lightning quick release, is pretty quick, and has dealt with a lot of pressure from the media for the past two years. I don't like him as a starting point guard for any team, nor as a starting 2 guard for most teams. What I do like is his potential as a 6th man, quick scoring off the bench, and if he finds a niche where he is comfortable, I can see him being a career 12-14 ppg guy.

9. Tyreke Evans - Good work ethic, good basketball IQ, was playing out of position at the PG this season, but can easily run SG. He can create for others, has long arms and is athletic. Needs to work on his turnovers (will come with experience), but I think he's a better player than Gerald Henderson and could be good value as a late lottery pick.

10. Demar Derozan - Was touted as the most athletic player in this freshman class, but can also score and shoot. I like this guy a lot and think a year in college did him well. He really turned it on at the end of the season, which will transition over to helping his stock rise in the draft.

11. Jeff Teague - Good shooter, good scorer, real athletic, but is missing something. He's not the best finisher, doesn't have good bball IQ and needs to have the ball in his hands to be good. Has the tools, but I don't think his head or style of play is NBA ready.

12. Al Farouq Aminu - Raw potential. Likes to attack the basket and has an aggressive mentality, which makes me think he will succeed more than a soft, jumpshooting big man. Needs to work on his jumper and handle and is a 3/4 tweener. I like the kid, moreso than Teague, and with this predicted string of 2 guards going consecutively, is good value at this pick.

13. Earl Clark - Pretty similar to Aminu as a 3/4 tweener, but more polished and better handle. He doesn't have the aggressiveness Aminu does, but is more athletic, has better IQ, and is a better defender. I personally like Clark's all around ability more than Aminu, but his approach to the game needs to be intensified a bit.

14. Ty Lawson - I can't get away from former UNC alum Raymond Felton when thinking about Lawson, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Besides Griffin and Harden, probably the surest thing in the draft so far, as he's played three years and we've all seen what he's capable of doing. Ultra fast, can create for himself and others, plays defense and is a tough competitor. If my team needs a pure PG late lottery or mid first round and he's available, I'd go with him over Flynn, Maynor and Holliday.

15. Jonny Flynn - Tough and athletic NBA talent. Has a little more upside than Lawson, but not as polished, has a suspect jumper and doesn't have the size Lawson does either (6' 172 lbs). Dime-a-dozen player to me, but will be a good role player in the league.

16. Terrence Williams - All-around player, good value in the mid first round. Does everything well, but nothing great and would be a nice glue player for a playoff team, whether he's coming off the bench or starting as the 4th or 5th option on his team. His versatility and skills will improve and he's a guy I can see fitting in almost any system.

17. Eric Maynor - Don't know a lot about him other than his NCAA tourney appearances. But he has good size for a point (6'2"), is athletic and can create his own shot. Doesn't seem like a horrible pick here.

18. BJ Mullens - On youtube, he's incredible. Watching Ohio State play, he looks kinda lost. Doesn't make the best decisions, has a below average post up game, and floats around during stretches. Also looks like he doesn't have the passion for basketball that others in the draft have, but that's speculation. If he does pan out, it will be likely the team who drafts him won't be the beneficiaries of his success, as it's going to be a while until this kid can start and produce consistently for a team. This late in the draft is worth the risk, though.

19. DeJuan Blair - He should send Paul Millsap and Big Baby Davis some Thank You cards, because if DeJuan Blair was in the draft before these guys, he would be a second rounder. He is a beast strength wise, but is only 6'8" and can only play PF. Has good fundamentals, boxes out, has a huge wingspan, and good footwork. If he gets in a little better shape and develops a jumper, he will be in the NBA for 10-12 years as a great role player.

20. James Johnson - The third Wake Forest guy in the top 20 (how did they lose so badly to Cleveland State?). Similar to Jordan Hill in the fact that he is an athlete and has a jumper. Can spread the floor, plays some defense and can rebound fairly well, but is stuck somewhere between SF and PF. DraftExpress' Ryan Gomes comparison is accurate.

I'll do more later

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »