Home

Wilt Chamberlain better than Jordan?

This is a discussion on Wilt Chamberlain better than Jordan? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Wilt Chamberlain better than Jordan?

Wilt was better than Michael at one thing but it has nothing to do with basketball, LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Wilt was better than Michael at one thing but it has nothing to do with basketball, LOL
even that has proven to be unsubstantiated and almost physically impossible.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
The part in bold is a a ridiculous reach. Chamberlain was a complete basketball player. You can argue that he was selfish, and their are many stories verifying that opinion, but Chamberlain could do everything and anything on a basketball court. He is the Babe Ruth of basketball and really only two players are comparable to him in the history of the NBA (Jordan & Abdul-Jabbar), IMO. People complain that he didn't win enough or didn't put winning over putting up statistics, but Russell almost always played with better teammates. It isn't a coincidence that Wilt played on two of the greatest NBA championships teams ever in Philadelphia and Los Angeles.

I respect Bill Simmons opinion on the NBA, but he's still a life-long Celtics fan. Which leads me to believe that he'd never put a Laker as no. 1 on any list.
Lets start by refreshing that I stated that Wilt dominated in his era, as MJ did on his ... I will also add that Wilt, for a man of his height, had a very rounded game ... but I see it the other way around: few players are comparable to MJ.

MJ game, was far more complete, efficient and beautifull indeed ... be it because of how the league evolve or because of his natural gifts, MJ had a more rounded game as he was not only on top of the scoring charts but also was a perennial all defensive team member.

MJ was a really good on ball defender, had a great defensive help instict that allowed him to be within the league bests in steals and within the SGs bests in blocks. His D rebounding and his post D game against other guards were, while great, incredibly underrated. He was also a very strong player for his position.

His offense was as complete as you will ever see: good ball handling, he could finish near the rim, had an incredibly post game, had a consistent mid range jumper and was more than adequated from beyond the arc ... was good at FT line, his passing (and more for a guy with such offensive responsability, quite like Wilts too, but up to an extend) was also way underrated and with his elevation, flexibility and suspension he was capable of moves that players are still trying to replicate nowdays.

Finally, both of their basketball IQs, intangibles and clutch performances are uncomparable ... as MJ was by far the superior player in those regards. And I am not comparing two players at different possitions, I am comparing them to their counterparts (SGs & Cs), as its illogical to directly compare them, leaving era aside.

It is not a coincidence, a matter of marketing or a result of TV influence that the NBA became worldwide relevant because of MJ ... it didnt took too much for Stern to realize that he was witnessing such display of basketball greatness in one player, and capitalized on that. Nowdays, when the TV and marketing have a bigger role, we have yet to see players like Kobe and Lebron, achieve what MJ did: on and off the court.

Michale Jordan being the best player ever, isnt a matter of opinion, but rather a fact!

Last edited by ffaacc03; 08-06-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynsanity
Putting them into each other's era would most likely see Jordan's numbers sky rocket, as there would be even less people to keep up with him physically. Wilt would still be good, but he would have to get used to having to combat taller, faster, and stronger centers.
Totally disagree. Having seen Wilt play, I can tell you the league was WAYYY more physical than it is now(Wilt was pounded on a nightly basis and sometimes the refs let it go). You didn't have these soft-*** rules that favor the wing players, and cats had better fundamental skills. Modern NBA cats may be better athletes, doesn't mean they were better basketball players. And the NBA has been watered down the past twenty years thanks to expansion.

Not to single anyone out, but I get annoyed when I hear younger NBA fans pump up Jordan at Wilt or Oscar's expense. Plenty of old skool fans will tell you Oscar was the GOAT.

This says it all. Read it with an open mind;

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ba-player-ever
Old 08-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffx
Totally disagree. Having seen Wilt play, I can tell you the league was WAYYY more physical than it is now(Wilt was pounded on a nightly basis and sometimes the refs let it go). You didn't have these soft-*** rules that favor the wing players, and cats had better fundamental skills. Modern NBA cats may be better athletes, doesn't mean they were better basketball players. And the NBA has been watered down the past twenty years thanks to expansion.

Not to single anyone out, but I get annoyed when I hear younger NBA fans pump up Jordan at Wilt or Oscar's expense. Plenty of old skool fans will tell you Oscar was the GOAT.

i think you're missing the point of his post.

he's saying that if you put jordan in wilt's era, no one would be able to hang with him physically because it would be putting someone at a far higher athletic capacity from a physical and mental standpoint against people totally unprepared for that level of play. he would be entirely too strong, big and fast (probably far surpassing lebron in the modern nba) for that time period. he's also saying that if you drop wilt into today's (or, to be fair, the late 80's and entire 90's nba) he would be contending with people more in line with his physical stature since he was so ahead of his time. in terms of athleticism and weight lifting.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffx

In many ways, I think we are more or less on the same page. In comparing players from different era, you have to take equivalents, and estimate what each person most likely could, or could not do.

I am also taking each player from his era, as is. Not having them grow up in a different era. Mentally, I believe Jordan would be able to shape his game to accomodate the changes in playing style and rules. One thing to consider is that most of us have, at one time or another, played streetball with a hack, or even a team of hacks. As long as you can make the adjustment, you can still find ways to play your game.

If Jordan could make that adjustment, he would find match up disadvantages just as favorable, if not more so than before.

Wilt would have a harder adjustment. The rules were changed to make the game more difficult for players of his stature. Wilt in Jordan's era would have to adjust to how he was allowed to play. The big man of today is essentially playing with handcuffs. Wilt would most likely have to exert more effort to get his points or use a more varied skillset than he did. He would have to adjust to a slower style of play and less touches per possession. He would also face foul trouble for the first time in his career.

Would he still be a force? Of course, he probably could still be the greatest force the pivot has ever seen, but he woud not be able to average 50 points and 20 rebounds in a season. The rules of MJ's era and style of play made that improbable.

Last edited by Lynsanity; 08-06-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #31
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Don't sleep on Jordan. I've heard many stories about his trips to the UNC/Duke campuses. He's not going to brag about it or write a book but I bet if we got actual numbers on both they'd be closer than you'd think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #32
MVP

i think people fail to realize that rebounds in the wilt era weren't that tough to get, since there were significantly more shots, meaning more rebounds to get. i'm not saying he still wasn't the best rebounder ever, but 20 rebounds back then is not the same as 20 rebounds today.

59-60
14 players averaged over 10 boards a game (wilt: 27, russell: 24, petit: 17)

60-61
13 players averaged over 10 (wilt: 27, russell: 24, petit: 20, elgin: 20)

61-62
14 players averaged over 10 (wilt: 26, russell: 24, bellamy: 19, petit: 19)

the trend continues for a while.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »