Home

The worst pick up players.

This is a discussion on The worst pick up players. within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #1041
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: The worst pick up players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
Lonzo Ball is lowkey ruining pickup ball. Everybody wanna throw full court outlets. Half these dudes can't make a pocket pass on a pick and roll in the first place, and they wanna throw it 70 feet.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Operation Sports mobile app
Long range outlets, even following made baskets, have been a staple around my area since the 90's (and probably beyond). Perfect counter to anyone who's only sort of interested in getting back on defense.

It's kind of why I'm amazed by how many people are amazed by some of those full court passes. If you're threading multiple defenders in the process, that's one thing, but those bombs over the top to hit someone in stride aren't always as tough as they look. Also, I like that it pushes tempo and forces defenders to work or die.

Pocket passes off a pick-and-roll though... those are a rare breed around my parts. In fact, even getting the roller to roll is a small victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
Least they aren't pulling from 30 like Curry all the time

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I think Curry's style is sort of a manifestation of what open runs have been like for years. I knew a lot of fellers who bombed away in informal basketball settings and dominated but felt the shackles when it came to executing game plans in-season. Coaches for years treated the three as a secondary or tertiary option, while gunners were pulling at will during open runs outside of the team. In some respects I've sort of had the feel that leagues finally caught up to how the 3-pointer had been utilized in pick-up settings for years.

Then again, the 276-pound guy just chilling five feet behind the line and firing at will all game is still mostly unique to pick-up, and it'll probably stay that way I reckon (New York Knicks version of Zach Randolph notwithstanding).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #1042
MVP

young22's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Long range outlets, even following made baskets, have been a staple around my area since the 90's (and probably beyond). Perfect counter to anyone who's only sort of interested in getting back on defense.

It's kind of why I'm amazed by how many people are amazed by some of those full court passes. If you're threading multiple defenders in the process, that's one thing, but those bombs over the top to hit someone in stride aren't always as tough as they look. Also, I like that it pushes tempo and forces defenders to work or die.

Pocket passes off a pick-and-roll though... those are a rare breed around my parts. In fact, even getting the roller to roll is a small victory.

I think Curry's style is sort of a manifestation of what open runs have been like for years. I knew a lot of fellers who bombed away in informal basketball settings and dominated but felt the shackles when it came to executing game plans in-season. Coaches for years treated the three as a secondary or tertiary option, while gunners were pulling at will during open runs outside of the team. In some respects I've sort of had the feel that leagues finally caught up to how the 3-pointer had been utilized in pick-up settings for years.

Then again, the 276-pound guy just chilling five feet behind the line and firing at will all game is still mostly unique to pick-up, and it'll probably stay that way I reckon (New York Knicks version of Zach Randolph notwithstanding).
Nah I'm not saying you can't throw long outlets. I do it all the time, like you said, guys don't get back on D, imma take advantage. Just that these last few weeks dudes have steady been forcing them. Like they'll try to thread it between 3 guys, 60 or so feet. And it's always the trashest guys too. The same guys that will pull 30 foot contested shots. 55 overalls with no badges.

That's why I really just be messing around in pickup unless there's real comp and my competitiveness kicks in. No point getting mad at guys who aren't real hoopers.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #1043
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I played pick up with some teens this morning and they kept dropping 2k references the entire time:

"He's a gold finisher", "silver deadeye" etc.

S.....TFU lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
I honestly would have thought that was hilarious. Lol

You turning into a cantankerous old man 23... I mean, 24

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 07-24-2017, 06:02 AM   #1044
Pro

Ragnar53's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
I honestly would have thought that was hilarious. Lol

You turning into a cantankerous old man 23... I mean, 24
I'm definitely calling that guy who comes and hoops in all the latest gear, but is garbage, a 55 overall with no badges
Old 07-24-2017, 06:07 AM   #1045
Rookie

SteveQ's Arena

I ain't commented in this thread since I was 18 and I'm 20 now but so many things are different lol. As for pickup though things haven't changed. The "Steph Impact" is now more prominent than ever. Watched this guy not play defense at all and then pull contested threes all game no matter how open he was. Sickening considering that's not how Steph plays.

I now have another player I dislike and it's the player/coach/old head type. These guys are always out of shape dudes who coach a youth aau team and think they know everything. I typically end up on their teams and they always either want me to post or they'll post and yell all day for cuts, kinda trying to run a triangle. The issue with this is they don't even make themselves a scoring threat down low which is the only way a triangle set can work. Then they yell all day for cuts but don't cut or move themselves and have the damn nerve to set weak screens just to coast on the three point line and wait on the ball again to run their triangle or lack thereof.

Also the amount of low IQ guys these days is crazy. The simple pass doesn't matter in some places and neither does the open man. Fast breaks turn into everybody stopping for open threes and then halfway getting back. Things aren't out of wack but they are chaotic lmao. Just my observation from playing with the people I normally play with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #1046
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar53
I'm definitely calling that guy who comes and hoops in all the latest gear, but is garbage, a 55 overall with no badges
I'm calling 99.9% of pickup players this as it directly applies to them!

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #1047
Pro

Ragnar53's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I'm calling 99.9% of pickup players this as it directly applies to them!

I am highly offended sir!

I'm fairly sure I'm a 56 overall with no badges. Putting me in the top .01%
Old 07-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #1048
MVP

young22's Arena

I do be calling guys 55 overalls with no badges. Shoutout Solluminati if anyone here knows him. He made that **** popular.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »