Home

The worst pick up players.

This is a discussion on The worst pick up players. within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #33
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34
Re: The worst pick up players.

I wonder how many people in this thread are actually like some of the guys we are talking about in this thread lol.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 5

I'll gladly admit that I do a little coaching when I play, but I won't call out a players short comings. I just tell them how to set a screen or advice on how to defend their man or get pass their man. But, to me, that kind of coaching is just being a good teammate.

I yell out if I miss a shot I should have made.

I'm sure I'm guilty of other things too, but for the most part, I think I'm pretty good at being a good teammate and a good basketball player for pick up games.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #35
All Star

Gibbz's Arena

OVR: 24

The guy who stays on the offensive end of the floor. Completely ruins full court games and someone is always doing it.

The guy who puts his feet under yours when you take a jump shot. This isn't the NBA and you definitely aren't on Bruce Bowen's level, so don't try that BS in a pick-up game.

Last edited by Gibbz; 02-21-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #36
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAM-IncReDiBLe-
I wonder how many people in this thread are actually like some of the guys we are talking about in this thread lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHRVD55
I'll gladly admit that I do a little coaching when I play, but I won't call out a players short comings. I just tell them how to set a screen or advice on how to defend their man or get pass their man. But, to me, that kind of coaching is just being a good teammate.

I yell out if I miss a shot I should have made.

I'm sure I'm guilty of other things too, but for the most part, I think I'm pretty good at being a good teammate and a good basketball player for pick up games.
I know with 100% certainty that I'm the coach on the floor guy, and will always be that guy no matter what. I'm the first person to berate myself when I make a poor decision on the court, so I'm going to call other people out if they make poor decisions too.

If its a player who knows how to play and they just made a rare bad choice then I'm not going to say anything, they know they screwed up, play on.

If you've established, however, that you have a super low bball I.Q., e.g.-never hedge on screens- shoot 3's when your range is 5 feet, double team crappy players 30 feet from the basket for no reason- well, I don't care how annoyed you get at me, I'm going to be on your *** all day until you stop doing stupid ****.

I never get on player because of physical mistakes or shortcomings, but every player can/should be a student of the game.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #37
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34

I do the same thing. Basically if I see someone shooting 3s all the time when I know hes a horrible 3 pts shooter then ima yell at him to stop shooting 3s. Unless hes on the other team then I won't say anything lol.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #38
The Legendary Roots Crew

Sublime12089's Arena

OVR: 10

When I play (which hasn't been in awhile) I try to know my limitations. I am a slow, lanky, 6'5" guy. I will take an open J, or depending on my matchup, post up. But I mostly try to grab boards, D up, and feed my more talented teammates.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #39
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

great thread lol...if you cant pick out the worst pick up bball players, then YOU are the worst pick up player

The 12 Types of Pickup Basketball Players: Which Type Are You?

If you regularly play pickup basketball, then you can immediately recognize a certain kind of player. Go to any gym or playground across America, and you’ll probably notice most of these types of “ballers” [disclaimer: this term is used very loosely]. While you would want a few of these guys on your squad, most of them spend more time on the sidelines than the actual courts, as they’re typically on the losing squad and are quick to call next. Here are the 12 types of pickup basketball players.

1. Big Dude who Thinks He’s a Guard

You can recognize this baller immediately because he’s usually the tallest person on the court, yet he never bangs for rebounds and has an atrocious perimeter field goal percentage. He’ll lead a 3-on-1 fast break and pull up for a contested 17 footer. Despite repeated attempts to get him in the paint, he shrivels up like he’s taking a swim in the ocean. Next time you pick teams, be wary about choosing the biggest guy. NBA equivalent: Antoine Walker

2. Guy with the Endorsement Contract

He really doesn’t have a deal with a shoe company, yet he’s dipped from headband to toe in all the same gear, usually from Jordan Brand. He runs a little slower since he can’t crease his brand new kicks. Also his gear contains all the latest wicker proof technology, just in case he might break a sweat. He’s the person checking the other games not for people’s skill level, but more so to checkout what other people are rocking. NBA equivalent: Quentin Richardson

3. The Man

This cat hasn’t left the court in about 6 games since his team always wins, and still doesn’t get tired. He possesses a textbook jumpshot, finds the open man, and is efficient on defense as well as offense. And during these games, his actions look effortless. The best player on the opposing team tries to check him since he doesn’t possess the typical baller look, but he gets defeated along with the rest of his challengers. NBA equivalent: Steve Nash

4. The Fake Baller

This guy looks the part. Has a sinewy and strong body, has a basketball-themed tattoo, either rocks corn-rows or has a shaved head, wears a jersey from an old league he has participated in, and just appears to be a player. But in reality he sucks. He takes most of the shots on the offensive-end and slacks off on D. He possesses poor footwork and is a digital clock – aka no hands. NBA equivalent: Kwame Brown

5. The OG

You know this person because he is there everyday, as he’s a true gym rat. Those kicks he’s wearing aren’t the retro models, they’re just the original shoes. Just like older guys on the golf course always hit straight drives, the old cat is money from 20 feet in. Because he may have lost a step or 3 due to age, he’ll compromise this by playing a little dirtier, so watch them elbows, pulls and grabs. No one really calls off-the-ball fouls during pickup, so you might wish that someone else is guarding you rather than him. NBA equivalent: Robert Horry

6. The And-1 Guy

Probably the most despised in the group, this person watched one too many mixtapes. His basketball aspirations ended prematurely because he couldn’t make the simple pass or make an opposite hand layup, but he could do a 360 crossover between the legs at half-court. Besides either traveling or carrying during every other possession, he usually tries shots with a degree of difficulty of 15 on a 10 scale, and acts surprised when he misses it. In between his trash-talking, he yells “And one!” after every shot attempt. NBA equivalent: Smush Parker

7. The Player/Coach

This person plays with the mentality that every guy is his last. He wears knee braces on both knees and would wear a whistle around his neck if it didn’t get in the way. You might be cutting, yet he’ll yell “Cut!” He is also the first person to call out the screens for you, and remind you every possession if you fail do to so. He’s out calling plays, yet no one really listens to him. He’s scrappy on the defensive end and heady on the offensive side, and he looks for the pass more so than the shot. Yet despite his good intentions and knowledge of the game, he’s more of a liability on the court. NBA equivalent: Jacques Vaughn

8. The Football Player

This baller treats the hardwood as his personal gridiron. He probably just finished lifting weights, so he has even more adrenaline before the game even starts. He dives after every loose ball and fights for every rebound, so you want him on your team. He’s probably moving on all the screens he sets, just to feel that contact. He might even wear a mouthpiece for an added touch. NBA equivalent: Matt Harpring

9. The Perspirer

This guy looks like he just took laps around the pool with his clothes on. And worse yet, you’re guarding him with he’s playing on skins. He might have back hair or bacne or both, and naturally he always wants to play the post. You feel like you might catch some new disease from him after too much contact. He doesn’t use deodorant, as his body odor can enhance his interior game. NBA Equivalent: Andres Nocioni

10. The Hustler

He appears like he’s hustling because he’s huffing and puffing, not because of playing good defense but rather he’s out of shape. Since he is the 6th option on a 5-on-5, he doesn’t worry about getting offensive touches, and tries to contribute elsewhere on the court. If his physical attributes matched his passion for the game, then he would be formidable. He actually keeps his own stats easily because his line is filled with goose eggs. He is the Hustler because he’s hustling a more worthy player of playing time. NBA equivalent: Eric Snow

11. The Cherry-Picker

After a missed shot, usually by him, he casually tries to play D but ends up on the offensive end because the other squad already scored. He’s yelling for the ball since he has a breakaway and gets upset when he doesn’t receive the rock. He rarely ventures within 15 feet of the basket during a half-court set, is indifferent to D, and does not make an impact on the outcome of the game whatsoever. NBA Equivalent: JJ Redick [if he's still in the NBA].

12. The Chick

There’s bound to be at least one chick during a run. She probably played Varsity for her high school but still maintains that competitive spirit. She’s a little more fundamentally sound than her counterparts, so she’ll generally make the right basketball decision. And she’s kinda cute in a weird sort of way. For some reason if you end guarding her, you almost want her to post you up, just be careful not to pitch a tent. WNBA equivalent: Sue Bird

Which type of player are you?

Last edited by ZB9; 02-19-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #40
Pro

OVR: 9

The guy who calls a foul everytime he gets the ball ripped or gets D'd up and misses a shot.

The guys who yells or claps when you take a shot instead of playing defense.

The kid who makes everything while shooting around but refuses to take the shot during the game.

The guy who puts on a dribbling display while standing still only to shoot a jumpshot.

The ticky-tack foul guy.

The clown who insists on referring to players on the court by some alias or NBA player.

The players who don't shake hands after the game.

The guy who keeps getting phone calls in the middle of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »