Home

The worst pick up players.

This is a discussion on The worst pick up players. within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #49
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: The worst pick up players.

People who argue all game long

It doesn't matter who it's with either...their own team, the other team, people walking by, the basketball, the shoes, the court, the fly on the wall

Ok and for my #1 biggest pet peeve of pickup basketball:

Trying to kill me when I'm going up for a layup when it's early in the game!

I've been undercut a few times after I steal it, go up for a layup, and they mad so they come in 100mph to try and block it.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #50
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I'm with Marino on the "6'6 Dude who wants to float around the 3pt line all day".

Even more frustrating when he's the tallest one on the team and doesn't want to help out in the paint on Defense. Get your big *** down low and and help out there because I damn sure don't give a crap how many points you score, my purpose is to win the game.

At least with me, I'm probably the "easiest" guy to play team ball with(pause)because I at least know my limitations and know my strengths and wouldn't try to do anything out of the ordinary. For example:

+ I'm 6'5
+I can play either the 3, 4 or 5.
+Will/can grab rebounds, box out
+Can help out with Defense down low
+Not a selfish player meaning I'm not going to call for the ball every single time.

-I'm a horrible shooter from 8 Ft and beyond
-Having average-below average handles

So my limits/game restrict me to playing Down Low in the paint, which I am perfectly fine with.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #51
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

I love playing against the guy who thinks he's a great passer/ball handler when in reality he's not that bad but he makes the most stupid and obvious decisions an I'll get about 5 steals in a game.

I'll admit im the guy who does all my offensive work with the ball midrange and up. My jumpsuit isn't great so I don't normally shoot unless wide open and I really suck going to the rim, gotta work on that somehow. But being 5'8" it usually results in a block, drawing a foul, etc. I do have a few post up moves I've been working in when I have a guy my size guards me, cause usually I outweigh them by 30 pounds since im still built like a football player now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #52
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

I dunno...I was never really bothered by big guys playing the perimeter as long as that's actually where there game is. I've played with more than a few who, despite their size, where much better at spotting up or coming off high screens than doing ANYTHING down low...lol. Size doesn't mean a whole lot if you don't play big.

As for me, there are two versions (old and new), and neither was very impressive:

When I played all the time:

+Had a great shot
+I'm barely 6ft (and was skinny), but could rebound pretty well relative to my size
+I was usually good at spotting open guys and getting them shots.

-No handle with my right hand, so everyone knows which way I'm going.
-weak defense (I hustled, but my footwork was poor and I admittedly had those "all star defender" moments someone mentioned...lol...trying to get too cute on D)

Right now, as I've recently picked back up, I'm pretty much just a warm body/extra. I can still shoot okay (not money like I used to be though) but I am slow, fat, and mostly just suck. Still fun to be playing again though and I'm starting to slowly get a little bit back.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #53
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
The headless chicken - The guy who just runs around like a headless chicken on offense. It's good that you wanna be active on O but seriously dude move with some purpose and stop screwing up the court spacing and clogging up your teammates driving and cutting lanes.
Wooden said it the best, "Never confuse activity with achievement"

I, more pejoratively, have labeled it "fake hustle" non discerning players and fans of the game sometimes fall in love with these players, because they seem to be working so "hard", but they fail to realize that not much is being accomplished and quite often they inadvertently sabotage the whole offensive set by moving too fast, too soon, and to the wrong spot.

These guys also mess up things on defense a lot as well. Double teaming non offensive threats, leaving a deadly scorer open, just because they want to feel like they're "causing havoc on D"

They also mess things up for me a lot when I'm baiting an offensive player into thinking a player is open so I can shoot the passing lane and go the other way. They're like, "OMG, so and so is wide open, I'd better go get inside of his jersey so that he doesn't get the ball", and I'm screaming, "NO, NO that's the pass I wan't them to make", "Oh, sorry my bad, he just looked so open ", " I know, that was the whole point."

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #54
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

My game:
I'm only 19. I'm like 5'9" 140 lbs or something like that.

I've been a good shooter pretty much since I was like 10 (had 10 3 pointers in one of my CYO games back when I was like 12, and shot over 50% from 3 point range through my high school career).

Going through drills and stuff, coaches were always blown away with my ball handling, but for whatever reason, I didn't really show it off in games. I didn't even go between my legs in a real game until like 9th grade, and I've never been the type to cross someone over and drive.

Defensively, I'm short and skinny, so kids tend to try to take me in the post, but I'm stronger than I look and unless the kid is like 6'4" or something, I can usually keep them from being able to get into the post by being physical on the outside. I'm not really quick enough to stay with the more athletic players, and I can't jump to save my life (I can hit the backboard but that's it), but I'm a very smart player, so if I'm guarding a shooter, I'll deny him and play him tight and force him into the help defense, and if it's a kid that's extremely quick but can't shoot consistently well, I'll give him a step so that I can stay in front of him.

I never really started to try to thread the needle or do no-lookers or anything until I got to Syracuse, but I've always been a very accurate passer.

So basically, I can find open guys or shoot the ball if the defender gives me space, but I'm not very good at creating my own shot. And defensively, I'm not really athletic enough to be a lock down defender, but I ended up being the best defender on my high school team (which isn't saying much unfortunately) because I'm good at picking up on player's tendencies and strengths and forcing them to do things they don't want to do.

As for the players I hate playing with, it's definitely the cocky PG that thinks he knows everything (trying to set up actual offenses in a pick-up game) and passing you the ball only if he picks up his dribble and then he'll demand it right back.

The big guy that only shoots 3's even if he has no shooting ability whatsoever.

The kid that tries to make no look passes or throw alley-oops that simply aren't there.

And the kid that calls a foul every single time he misses a layup and then will pick a fight with you if you even roll your eyes at him.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Wooden said it the best, "Never confuse activity with achievement"

I, more pejoratively, have labeled it "fake hustle" non discerning players and fans of the game sometimes fall in love with these players, because they seem to be working so "hard", but they fail to realize that not much is being accomplished and quite often they inadvertently sabotage the whole offensive set by moving too fast, too soon, and to the wrong spot.

These guys also mess up things on defense a lot as well. Double teaming non offensive threats, leaving a deadly scorer open, just because they want to feel like they're "causing havoc on D"

They also mess things up for me a lot when I'm baiting an offensive player into thinking a player is open so I can shoot the passing lane and go the other way. They're like, "OMG, so and so is wide open, I'd better go get inside of his jersey so that he doesn't get the ball", and I'm screaming, "NO, NO that's the pass I wan't them to make", "Oh, sorry my bad, he just looked so open ", " I know, that was the whole point."
I totally agree with you. I love hustle as much as the next guy but it's got to be smart hustle not, as you put it, "fake hustle."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #56
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

OVR: 30

I'll try to name a few that I've played with and against, that I haven't seen in here yet.

-the "it's just for fun" guy. he often has very little talent, but takes pride in ruining possessions by firing up shots well out of anyone's range, and always falling back on his excuse for why he would try - "it's just for fun...no harm done"

-The guy who does a great job of seeing passing lanes and passes, but executes HORRIBLY; often firing the ball 10 feet over anyone's head.

-The guy who swears that he could be playing college ball or professional ball, and spends the entire game trying to prove it to you and everyone else. this usually doesn't work, since he's, well, not that good, but when you lose he makes sure you know that it wasn't his fault.

-the guy who loves to let you go by him when he's on defense, and then tries to reach from behind and poke the ball loose, often slapping the hell out of your arms and sides.

-one guy I hate playing with and against is the guy who calls for a screens EVERY time he gets the ball. I especially hate playing with this guy because he brings everything to a standstill while he just stands and waits.

-the guy who will hit 2 or 3 J's in a row, then insists that he's "on fire", and shoots the next 5 or 6 times down, and misses all of them.

-the guy who has one "go to move". every time he gets the ball, he wants to be in the same spot, so he can drive the same lane, and pull off the same move every time. it usually works the first couple of times, but he insists on trying it over and over again after the defense has adjusted. (actually played with a guy like this a few months ago...he did a spin move immediately after his 2nd dribble while driving in with his right hand EVERY TIME; and his spin move was actually a walk..about 4 steps)

-the guy who is doesn't want to be crossed over. if he's guarding a guy with sick handles, and a really good shot, he'll stand back 3 or 4 feet, and let the guy shoot uncontested jumpers all day, just because on the first possession of the game, he pressured the guy and got shook something fierce. but he refuses to switch with someone else.

I also agree with several of these I've seen. I hate the 6'6" guy, who (begrudgingly) played post in high school, but wants to spend the rest of his life trying to prove that he belonged on the perimeter.

Also, I have a friend that I've played with multiple times that fits into the category of the not so good player who will run his mouth all day, but the second you bark back, he acts as though you just pissed in his breakfast.

also, as a guy who's played point guard my whole life, but have a good shot, I hate guys who make me choose which to do. I've played with a few guys that have seriously told me "look, you can either run point and distribute, or move to a wing and try to shoot...not both.." - so stupid.

EDIT - have one more. the guy who will try to trade baskets with the other team's best player. as if he is trying to force his way into that "role" on your team.

Last edited by st0rmb11; 02-21-2011 at 04:13 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »