Home

Highlight Reeling

This is a discussion on Highlight Reeling within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 22
Re: Highlight Reeling

LOL, I mean they were playing the Clippers though.
Really sad watching that, reminds you that he could of been one of the greats of our time if only he had had some sort of work ethic. Guy was an athletic freak and had a zone in the 4th that few had.

Still can't believe these two were on the same team. Unfortunately they played for the Raptors lol

EDIT- Embedding is being stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUvGIYJeurg

Last edited by 1Rose; 06-17-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #34
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

I love the opponent on the clippers bench reaction to dunk Windmill.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rose
Really sad watching that, reminds you that he could of been one of the greats of our time if only he had had some sort of work ethic. Guy was an athletic freak and had a zone in the 4th that few had.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but I totally disagree with the "feeling sad" thing. I thought he had an awesome career. Sad to me is J.R. Rider sleeping through his alarm eight times then eventually ending up jail. Vince Carter still had a spectacular career. Was there room for improvement? No doubt. We could say that about a ton of players. I find the "absolutely no work ethic" theory to be a fun generalization. It has caught on like wild fire. Unfortunately for that theory, I do not believe a player can develop the skills Vince had while having no work ethic. That is to say, a naturally athletic player, even one as freakish as Vince, cannot waltz out to an NBA basketball court and average 25, 5, and 5. I'd say becoming arguably one of the best 15 players in the world during a given period is actually reaching one's potential.

I'm always kind of curious why people assumed Vince was magically supposed to become the best ever had he had achieved what we thought should have been his potential. To me it's like saying, "Man, Ben Wallace, sad. If only he'd had an elite offensive game as well, he would have been the best ever. It's just sad." For me, it's fun to appreciate players for who they are in most cases, especially when they have a career as fruitful as Vince's.

But anyway, that totally wasn't guided directly at you, 1Rose. I was just speaking generally. Vince was just "Antawn's athletic sidekick" to me before he hit the NBA. But the minute I saw that double pump reverse against Indiana his rookie year, I was hooked.

Here's a rare Vince Carter elbow dunk on a breakaway. My theory is he did not hang on the rim because 1) It'd be a technical and 2) it'd hurt while going that fast (I think all of us who have tried this on a 9foot rim can relate).

Last edited by VDusen04; 06-17-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 22

And I totally agree with you. But Vince had the tools to erase the "could have been" stigma.

I don't think the work ethic thing is too off base though. I mean it was obvious that early in his career, his athletic ability propelled him to his success. Which is also why we saw such a sharp decline to his proudction as he got older. He still tries to do the things he was doing 7-8 years ago that he just simply can't do anymore. His game never really evolved. Aside from improving his jump shot.

That said, this guy was so exciting to watch. Arguably the best dunker of all time.

Also yes, that elbow crap is painful lol Don't know even know why he ever did that in game haha
Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #37
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Now that is sick!! I don't think I've ever seen that dunk before. Vince Carter is the grestest dunk of all time. There really isn't any debating it. But also too think he had a great career. He did come up short in my expections of him (I blame Jordan haha). But man he set the standard for the dunk contest and for dunking period.

I also know that there are those other dunkers out there. Blake Griffin comes to mind. But he just don't have the creative dunks Vince had. I still haven't seen anyone do his inverted 360. When he is spinning the other way. I've never seen him in person. But I could only imagine how sweet or the respect you would have dunk for him.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #38
Basketball Reasons

Drewski's Arena

OVR: 23

Vince Carter has provided great material for this thread.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #39
L Corleone

Weeks's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:

Still can't believe these two were on the same team. Unfortunately they played for the Raptors lol

Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

SteelersFreak's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

Its sad that T-Mac will always be remembered for his playoff failures, he was a great player.
NHL: Dallas Stars
NCAA: Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Texas '14
GO MEAN GREEN!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »