Home

Most complete PF today

This is a discussion on Most complete PF today within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Most complete PF today

Most complete PFs IMO:

1. Aldridge
2. Love
3. Pau Gasol
4. Dirk Nowitzki
5. Zach Randolph

Best Power Forwards 2011-2012:

1. Aldridge
2. Love
3. Griffin
4. Gasol
5. Bosh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #42
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/34670740

Nice, thorough analysis.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #43
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Alex - made my updates below:

Also I can't co-sign the 4 for creating his own shot. Guys like Love, Randolph, Nowitzki (recently), Jefferson, West are 4's. Aldridge's offense depends a lot on his team, whether it's alley oops or pick n pops. But when they do get him the ball he is very consistent.
What are you talking about dude? Aldridge can isolate and score on whoever he wants, you have to double (or triple) team him in the post or he is going to kill you.

Can Love do that? I would say NO, Love depends more on other people's passes and in offensive rebounds to score.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #44
Hall Of Fame

SteelersFreak's Arena

OVR: 19

I think this one comes down to Aldridge or Love. I think as a complete package, Aldridge is probably the choice and I would still put Dirk up at second with Love following. What I think we do know now is that Blake Griffin definitely isn't. His shooting game is downright bad as of late and his decision making in the half court leaves a lot to be desired. But as a fast break player and in terms of athleticism he's untouched and he has the potential to be one of the greatest of all time, but the question is is he going to commit to improving his shot and his other intangibles or he is going to be content to be that guy who's on SportsCenter dunking on Kendrick Perkins.
NHL: Dallas Stars
NCAA: Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Texas '14
GO MEAN GREEN!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #45
Plata o Plomo

iLLosophy's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris_Cole
What are you talking about dude? Aldridge can isolate and score on whoever he wants, you have to double (or triple) team him in the post or he is going to kill you.

Can Love do that? I would say NO, Love depends more on other people's passes and in offensive rebounds to score.
I understand Creating your own shot = how good you are in isolation. If you can only create your shot from the low block with your back to the basket, you aren't a good iso player - you're a good post player. Aldridge is top 10 in the league for best post game on the low block, but outside of there, he's pretty limited if a guy is guarding him. The guys I listed can hold their own against defense from a Triple Threat position outside of the low block. Aldridge cannot as he's more of a double threat because he can't take a defender off the dribble.

And in order to get to the low block (or his open midrange shots) he depends on passes too.

Last edited by iLLosophy; 02-14-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 25

Its unbelievable how this position has evolved since I started watching the game. Guys like Nowitzki, Bosh, and Aldridge essentially play like oversized wing men.

Unfortunately, jump shooting bigs are rarely the fulcrum of ballclubs with legitimate Championship aspirations. Thats because jump shooters either make or miss and can't inflict fouls or stretch the defense out of shape.
Blake Griffin is an incredible dunker but he doesn't know how to play the whole game. He needs to set much better screens, develop a jump shot, and use his base better when defending the post.

Kevin Love's team is 12-15, so his incredible numbers haven't really led to wins. He is an awesome rebounder, yet he is a total non-athlete and can't move laterally so he'll never be an adequate defender. 25 ppg is too much for him. On a ballclub with Title dreams, Love is strictly a role player who can rebound like a savage.

Hopefully Minnesota doesn't repeat the Kevin Garnett situation and try to surround the bogus superstar with complementary pieces, not realizing that the headline guy is a complementary player himself.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 02-14-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Its unbelievable how this position has evolved since I started watching the game. Guys like Nowitzki, Bosh, and Aldridge essentially play like oversized wing men.

Unfortunately, jump shooting bigs are rarely the fulcrum of ballclubs with legitimate Championship aspirations. Thats because jump shooters either make or miss and can't inflict fouls or stretch the defense out of shape.
Blake Griffin is an incredible dunker but he doesn't know how to play the whole game. He needs to set much better screens, develop a jump shot, and use his base better when defending the post.

Kevin Love's team is 12-15, so his incredible numbers haven't really led to wins. He is an awesome rebounder, yet he is a total non-athlete and can't move laterally so he'll never be an adequate defender. 25 ppg is too much for him. On a ballclub with Title dreams, Love is strictly a role player who can rebound like a savage.

Hopefully Minnesota doesn't repeat the Kevin Garnett situation and try to surround the bogus superstar with complementary pieces, not realizing that the headline guy is a complementary player himself.
I don't agree with this post at all, and I'm not even really a basketball fan. This just doesn't seem like it makes ANY sense.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #48
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady

Apparently, a line is being drawn when it comes to the term “big man”. Big men is now the new terminology for center. As you stated, power forwards are now oversized wing men. As we all know, the center position has gone to the waste. Dwight Howard is the best center in the league right now with Bynum being second. You took those two guys and threw them in the 90’s where the field was Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning and young Shaq and those guys wouldn’t even sniff the all-star game.

Love is more of a throw back power forward. He’s a guy who’s not refined offensively but he’s more of the Charles Oakley mindset of mixing it up in the paint. Love can improve defensively even though he has limited lateral quickness. Charles Oakley was never fast or quick but was a solid defensive post player. Love can be similar. I agree that Love cannot be the best player on a championship team. He can definitely be a piece and make a huge impact on that type of team but I just couldn’t see him being “The Man”.

I don’t think the T-wolves will try to build around Kevin Love. It’s obvious they know what they have in him and it’s definitely not a top 5 player. However, I won’t admonish the T-Wolves for trying to build around Garnett. Garnett was a legit superstar and twice the player Kevin love is. However, the team they built around Garnett just didn’t seem to be the recipe for a championship team. Cassell was ok for the short term. Sprewell was a talented head case. They had Trenton Hassell, a bench player at best, starting at the two guard for them. They signed one of the biggest bust of all time in Michael Olowokandi to start at center. It just didn’t seem right. And despite the fact that they made it to the Western Conference Finals in 2004, they were dispatched by the Lakers who were disjointed chemistry wise during that time as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »